• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Waiting to announce?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I have never been through it, so I am hoping that some of you can correct me if I am wrong.

I know picking a school isn't an easy choice, but with only 7 days to go, is there really anyone who is still undecided? I am mostly thinking about Streeter right now, but it really is a general thought for players waiting to the last minute to announce where they are going.

Is it a power trip thing? Do they just like the attention of having coaches (Spurrier) flying all over the country to try and sway their decision?

I can understand the recruiting trips, you want to see the school, see the facilities, meet the team, etc. It just seems to me that this is happening a lot, and it seems unnecessary. It's not like a job where you are getting paid and you can hold one school hostage to give you more than the other school.

Personally, I have way more respect for a player that announces early and sticks by their decision. I want a player that says "I want to be a Bull!" No waivering over it, just pure determination to be a Bull.

Anyway, that is my take. I will be happy if we can land Streeter among others who are holding out, but when they get here, they are going to need to prove to me that they are committed to being a part of this team.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The reality is that the bigger name players often wait until signing day.  It is an opportunity for them to announce in front of their schools and friends.  The NCAA says they cannot sign until February 6, so what is the big rush from their end?  No one is pulling a scholarship from those kids for not committing quicker, and it allows them to have more attention than most of them will ever be again.

As for kids who want to be a bull early and those that decide at the end, Mike Jenkins was a late decision maker.  I think he went past signing day. 

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Agree Sanjay.

The problem is that the big names waiting until signing day has a trickle down effect.

Terrelle Pryor may or may not go to Michigan.  Therefore RR seeks to hedge his bet and make a late move on BJ Daniels.

Despite the fact USF has cultivated a Daniels commit for over a year, we are twisting in the wind until Pryor has his "moment in the sun".

• Content Count:  505
  • Days Won:  0

I wonder if Pryor is also holding up O. Johnson?  He is the only rated QB left for Ohio State behind Pryor and he is the only rated QB left for Indiana.  He also may be waiting to see if Daniels goes to USF as well.  Talk about not knowing where to go until late on signing day.  Must be a lot of pressure for a 17-18 year old.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Carolina, true about the big names, but that is always the case with those kids.  The reality is that USF has had kids it worked on for over a year only to have UF/FSU/UM swoop in at the very last minute and sign the kid.  Strangely, this year our recruiting battles seem to be out-of-state.

BJ Daniels-USF/Michigan

Martavious Odoms - USF/Michigan/Miami

George Baker - USF/Auburn

Corey Liuget - USF/Illinois/LSU/Miami

Tommy Streeter - USF/South Carolina

Leonard Johnson - USF/Iowa State/Ole Miss

Ohrian Johnson - USF/Ohio State

Greg Shaw - USF/LSU/WVU

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Choosing a university is a pretty big decision.  There are all kinds of factors that come into play, even before you consider the atheletics aspect.  If it's my kid, I certainly won't be rushing them into a decision.  This is five years of their life and whether they graduate and what they graduate with will affect the rest of their life. 

Really, it's like telling your 18 year old they need to decide on a spouse by Feb 6th, and they better rush the decision.  Even if they take the full time allotted, it's a lot to put on a high school kid.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Per ESPN, Greg Shaw committed to WVU late last night.  Its on their website as of today.

• Content Count:  505
  • Days Won:  0

How do we lose to WVU in recruiting?  We run a very similar offense.  I don't understand what they offer that makes them more attractive.  They lost their head coach as well.  I could understand them winning in previous years, but we are on almost equal footing now.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

How do we lose to WVU in recruiting?  We run a very similar offense.  I don't understand what they offer that makes them more attractive.  They lost their head coach as well.  I could understand them winning in previous years, but we are on almost equal footing now.

IF that is a fact, because I haven't seen it, then Doc Holiday was instrumental in getting him to verbal to them. He recruited him while at Florida and they have a very strong relationship. It also looks to me like his HS coach was pushing him towards WVU, but I don't know exactly why.

Archived