• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mind numbing UCF/USF drivel, et al

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Smith visited Orlando again just 2 weeks ago and told Oleary he was still committed and now this fax comes to a newspaper and UCF but he never contacts anyone by phone at UCF before doing so....something is not right, if I were UCF I'd give the NCAA a call for tampering by Louisville boosters/coaches and would not release him

If I was UCF I'd be careful crying foul when there are foxes in your own hen house.  The method of coercion allegedly used by UCF to lure this kid was hardly quality, nevermind the incessant allegations that UCF has never stopped the dirty tactics in recruiting that got their hand slapped the first time by the NCAA.  Yeah, from what I hear the last thing UCF wants to do is get the NCAA down here sniffing around their compound-- never know what they're going to dig up. :o

if you read the recent quotes from Oleary on Smith's last visit just 2 weeks ago he admitted that "there is a lot of stuff going on up there"(Louisville)..........I know you and Louisville fans will keep using the resume thing from over 10 years ago to assume Oleary did something wrong but it's most likely a case where he was still being recruited after his LOI and possible involvement by Louisville boosters. I hope the NCAA is sniffing up in Kentucky. Coach Kelly is a good man and would not spew lies

You're right, the resume thing shouldn't come into play at all with this ... but the fact there were reports that things were said to Smith during recruiting that were possibly misconstrued by him, giving him hopes of competing for the starting job, do factor in.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

either way the kid doesn't want to play for the fat lying bastard.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

O'Liar is a jacka$$.

Would you really want this disgruntled kid in your program even for just one year?  The kid could tear your locker room in half and spout $hit to future recruits.

If he doesn't want to be there cut him loose.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

I wish the Courier writer would have been a little more clear about verifying the fax was authentic but it sure looks like it's the real deal this time ...

Smith said in a phone conversation with The Courier-Journal that he would not comment further.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110328/SPORTS02/303280103/1002/sports/Former-Seneca-QB-DaMarcus-Smith-asks-released-by-UCF?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

I've never known Joey Demling to fly by the seat of his pants before. Usually when he reports something, it tends to be true.

Guest nybullsfan

O'Liar is a jacka$$.

Would you really want this disgruntled kid in your program even for just one year?  The kid could tear your locker room in half and spout $hit to future recruits.

Don't type euphimisms. Go ahead and use the profanity as-is. That's what the filter's for.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

O'Liar is a jacka$$.

Correct.  If you have to put stipulations in the release (can't go to other CUSA schools or schools on UCF's 4-year schedule) then do so.  Then again, I wouldn't expect anything less from GOL.  He's a liar and a snake.  Stay classy, George.  Karma is a *****.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  639

Good for GOL, you don't let inmates run the show.

UCF coach George O'Leary said he has declined to release four-star Louisville quarterback DaMarcus Smith from his letter of intent.

O'Leary said Smith's mother contacted him Monday night to say her son was seeking a release from his letter of intent.

"I met with him a month ago and he basically talked to me about that situation, and he left me saying he was 100 percent a Knight," O'Leary said, alluding to rumors dating back to February that Smith was unhappy with his decision and planned to ask to be released from his letter of intent. "But every time he goes back to the Louisville area, it seems to be questionable what's taking place there.

"His mother did call me last night and expressed that they'd like a release and I told her no. And that if they have to do what they have to do as far as an appeal, they have to do that. But they're not getting a release from UCF."

O'Leary said he has never granted a release from a letter of intent and never plans to do so in the future.

Smith has the option to appeal UCF's decision to the National Letter of Intent board, citing extenuating circumstances. If the board denies his appeal, Smith will have to sit out one year before enrolling at another school on scholarship and will lose a year of eligibility. Instead of having five years to play four seasons of college football, he would have four years to play three seasons of college football.

"To me, you spend a lot of money, a lot of time, a lot of hours recruiting a kid," he said. "I think the big thing is you sign a legal document and that's what it is – a legal document. I've never in all my coaching given a release to an NLI and I'm not about to start. And he knew that. I told him that. Again, that's why they have such a stiff penalty for people that don't fulfill the NLI."

O'Leary said Smith's mother did not give a reason for seeking the release.

"Not really, except that that's what he really wants to go to Louisville," O'Leary said. "That's why you sit down, it's a long recruiting period. A letter was signed by him and his mom. Again, I think as a head coach of a Division I program, those letters are what commits a youngster to your program. Just like it commits us to them with a financial aid letter.

"Again, with us, as far as we're concerned it's out of our hands. If they file an appeal, it's not our decision. But our decision is not to grant a release and I would never grant a release in any situation, really."

UCF currently has three viable quarterbacks on its roster and may seek more walk-ons to bolster its depth before the start of next season.

Freshman Jeff Godfrey remains the Knights' starting quarterback and freshman Blake Bortles is UCF's backup quarterback.

For the first time since the start of spring practice, senior Rob Calabrese worked out at quarterback leading the third team offense Tuesday. Calabrese switched from quarterback to receiver during the offseason. O'Leary said Calabrese will continue to primarily play receiver, but the Knights will give him some work at quarterback so that he remains a viable third-string option.

"You look at it a couple of different ways," O'Leary said. "Now who is the victim cause we stopped recruiting quarterbacks when he basically let us know he was involved and he wanted to be here long before the National Signing Day? Again, we'll work fine. That's why I'm still giving Rob some reps today. There's a method to the madness."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-ucf-denies-damarcus-smith-release-20110329,0,3999767.story

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  639

GOL is the inmate running the show

if USF was in the same situation would you feel the same way? LOI have to mean something, the kid is primadona

Guest nybullsfan

Much as I hate to admit it, GOL's got a good point. If you're not serious about signing with UCF, don't sign. If you do sign, and then back out, there's a penalty to pay (one year of lost eligibility).

This is not about Smith anymore (if it ever was), it's about all the athletes in the future. GOL's sending a warning, loud and clear.

If Smith really wants to leave, he can go. It just means he'll only have 3 years of eligibility left.