• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mind numbing UCF/USF drivel, et al

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

Whatever the reason, it's a good pick-up for UCF.  It will bring people in to watch and if they are winning, they may hang around for more.  Some people will come for (the real) MJ sighting....you've gotta figure he can afford to fly in for a game or two.  And finally....shoving a couple million to your son's school is pretty cool if you've got it.  It's a great deal for UCF...I'd take him in a heart beat even if I thought he was just "pretty good" for a college athlete.

Good post.  He was the MVP of his state championship team.  His coach says he may turn out to be one of the best.  He simply fell in love with our academics and facilities is what I am hearing.

Come on, enough with the academic ********!  Nobody is choosing UCF for their academics, just like they aren't choosing USF!

Agreed. I know Chalko is a major homer but nobody is choosing UCF for academics. It's a third tier school per US News & World report. Their student-to-faculty ratio is ridiculous, something like 600 students jammed into overcrowded classrooms. I doubt anyone is choosing Florida schools because of "academics," especially, with the budget cuts. Not even UF. He chose UCF because of easy playing time, his friend was already there, and facilities.

And stop being an @$$hat on our blog: http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/04/selvie-to-be-held-out-of-usf-spring-game.html#comments

Your comments on Selvie are disgraceful.

Disagree.

UCF now has the 2nd largest number of National Merit Scholars in the State of FLA (ahead of every other school in FLA except UF)...and is the Top 35 nationwide in regards to National Merit Scholar Enrollment.

Oh...and the 4,300 plus students from all over the USA that applied for the 40 positions to UCF's new Medical School...well...some of them are the best of the best (i.e. $160,000 scholarship offer does ATTRACT some of the best of the best).

So while maybe a large number of people you and others know that are enrolling in USF, UCF and/or other schools for various reasons (i.e. close to home, less expensive, parents went there, received scholarships, etc...), there are people that enroll at every school that do so for "academic reasons" (including USF).

NBC News: UCF Medical School...attracting some of the best of the best

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#29695061

More NBC News Coverage on UCF Medical School

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#29696185

Fair enough. I know each school has unique programs that they are better at.

Was Marcus Jordan applying for medical school? You always bring up irrelevant facts.... we were talking undergrad.

If Marcus Jordan was so high on academics he would've accepted the scholarship offer to attend Stanford university... I bet they have good facilities also.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Add to that Nik Garcia (also from IL) a three star Rivals Top 150 SG, today.  It's a pretty strong class that also includes big man, Keith Clanton who chose UCF over South Carolina and USF.  Maybe it's the style of play or the chance to play...or just maybe they like our pretty arena.  Who knows...but they're coming to UCF...that's all that matters.

the girls in the picture would be reason enough for me

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

ftu/ou./oc and now fiu are taken all thunder from usf hoops

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

ftu/ou./oc and now fiu are taken all thunder from usf hoops

::)

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Whatever the reason, it's a good pick-up for UCF.  It will bring people in to watch and if they are winning, they may hang around for more.  Some people will come for (the real) MJ sighting....you've gotta figure he can afford to fly in for a game or two.  And finally....shoving a couple million to your son's school is pretty cool if you've got it.  It's a great deal for UCF...I'd take him in a heart beat even if I thought he was just "pretty good" for a college athlete.

Good post.  He was the MVP of his state championship team.  His coach says he may turn out to be one of the best.  He simply fell in love with our academics and facilities is what I am hearing.

Come on, enough with the academic ********!  Nobody is choosing UCF for their academics, just like they aren't choosing USF!

Agreed. I know Chalko is a major homer but nobody is choosing UCF for academics.

Weird...why are facts not allowed to be presented?

Here are the facts for those that did not see initial post:

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=44927.980

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Agreed. I know Chalko is a major homer but nobody is choosing UCF for academics.

Weird...why are facts not allowed to be presented?

Here are the facts for those that did not see initial post:

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=44927.980

Nothing is weird. Facts are allowed to be presented. Your link shows that. The point is this is a state of Florida athletics board and that post and the one following had absolutely nothing to do with athletics. When you can show that Marcus chose UCF because of the new med school, I'll move it back ...

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  476

I would like to interject boys.  Jordan chose UCF for the following reasons:

A. Competitive admission standards.  He knows that UCF gets more applications than FSU. No, it's not soley on academics, but Michael had plenty of discussion with Kirk about what we have to offer.  Our admissions are very impressive.

B. Facilities.  Facilities. Facilities.

C. Big East in 2010.

And no, boys, he didn't select UCF to solidify his hoops prowess and move on.  He had scholarships across the fruited plain along with the rest of our class.  You all should be able to experience the Jordan skills in the near future.  Thank you.

:popcorn

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

A. Competitive admission standards.  He knows that UCF gets more applications than FSU. No, it's not soley on academics, but Michael had plenty of discussion with Kirk about what we have to offer.  Our admissions are very impressive.

C. Big East in 2010.

And no, boys, he didn't select UCF to solidify his hoops prowess and move on.  He had scholarships across the fruited plain along with the rest of our class.  You all should be able to experience the Jordan skills in the near future.  Thank you.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  476

C. Big East in 2010.

Question:  Didn't you look at academics when you were searching for a school?  USF's are pretty good. Most do.  Michael Jordan discussed the matter multiple times with Kirk.  His son is now part of the Knight family here in O-town.  Thus, Michael is now part of the family.  It's that simple.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

"Michael Jordan's Son to............ UCF?"

"Isiah Thomas to coach..... FIU?"

Similar headlines, no? The perceptions are still the same.

We SUCK in basketball, but at least the headlines on our recruits (in their towns) is something like "so and so signs with Big East School" and the news isn't as a total shock. We can thank our conference affiliation for that.

UCF has picked up some great players, but the national perception is not all that positive.