• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spires Leaves USF Football Team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

According the Brett's blog Donte Spires is no longer with the USF football team.  He is considering transfering.  Perhaps staying in school at USF but not playing football?  I thought Greg reported everyone made the plane, but apparently Donte didn't travel.  Sorry if this is old news, first I have heard of it. 

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Wonder why he left, with Moffitt leaving, he had a shot next year.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

wow.  this is a big hit if he really does leave.

with Ben graduating, i believe T-Mac would likely move to MLB (where he got PT at ISU and MSU), leaving one of the OLB positions open...  i was fully expecting our LB corps to look like T-Mac (MLB), Mompremier (WLB), and Robinson/Spires (SLB).

hope he stays.

• Content Count:  136
  • Days Won:  0

I was kind of expecting Kion Wilson to play MLB and McKenzie and Mompremier to stay put... And I sort of figured that Robinson would edge out Spires to start otherwise...

And Sabbath Joseph is good depth there too, so I still feel good at least 5-deep for next season...

And it appears that the door is still open, so maybe he'll think better of it...

• Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

This is not good if its true.  Spires started the Pitt game when Mompremier was a little dinged up.  Next year he would be a major contributor.  Hate hearing news like this, especially before the bowl game.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

This is not good if its true.  Spires started the Pitt game when Mompremier was a little dinged up.  Next year he would be a major contributor.  Hate hearing news like this, especially before the bowl game.

agreed  :(

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Maybe he'll have second thoughts. Leavitt has left the door open for him to return:

Former Plant LB Spires No Longer With Program

ADVERTISEMENT

The Tampa Tribune

Published: December 30, 2007

EL PASO, Texas - University of South Florida sophomore LB Donte Spires, of Plant, has left the program and is considering transferring to another school.

"I haven't made up my mind yet," said Spires, who played all 12 games this season on special teams and as a backup linebacker but did not travel with the team to El Paso.

USF coach Jim Leavitt said Spires left the program for personal reasons. "He has an open door to return if he wants. We want him to be happy."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/dec/30/sp-special-teams-contributor-no-longer-with-progra/?sports-colleges-bulls

Seems like a strange time to leave the program.  One would think he'd play in the bowl, get the goodies, and then transfer if he chose to do so.  Something really must have ticked him off.  Is there any chance this is an academic situation??  Maybe he didn't like the Kion Wilson news.

Am I right thinking he only has 2 years of eligibility remaining and that he already burned a Redshirt Year?  He graduated from Plant in '04 from what I can tell.  Meaning, if he transfers to another D1 school, he would have to sit another year (his JR campaign), with only his Senior year to play.  Or he could transfer to a D2 school and play right away.  If this is the case, it really makes no sense whatsoever. 

Donte, take some time to think about this, and come to your senses...........

• Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

This is a sign of the talent level here. These guys cant just show up and play right away anymore. They have to earn it against tougher than expected competition..I dont want to see him go but I like what i believe of this being a sign of the talent here

Archived