• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Research university

Economics_Nerd82

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

How is this defined? You would think since this is a research university there would be more research opportunities for undergraduates. Maybe there exists a lot of opportunities, but when I went there (graduated in May) it didn't seem like there were a lot of research opportunities.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

There are a ton in engineering and biological fields.  I think to some extent it depends on what field you are in and how much interest the professors in that field have in taking on undergraduate assistants.  It also requires a good amount of luck.  I seem to recall an announcement from USF about putting a focus on getting the word out to undergrads regarding research opportunities and perhaps encouraging departments to find more opportunities.

To answer your question though, I believe the term "research university" is based simply on the amount of research dollars the university receives, not how much of an opportunity they provide to undergrads.

• Content Count:  1,679

How is this defined? You would think since this is a research university there would be more research opportunities for undergraduates. Maybe there exists a lot of opportunities, but when I went there (graduated in May) it didn't seem like there were a lot of research opportunities.

I think your experience is very typical of research universities - it's difficult for undergrads to get involved in research.  Research is the primary focus of a professor's job, and the perception is that undergraduate students will require more attention than any work output they would produce.  Still, usually a department has some way for undergrads to get a taste of what goes on - did you go to your department office and ask?

• Content Count:  478
  • Days Won:  0

To carify, major research universities are not really in place to cater to undergraduate research- you will find that at lower tier universities and maybe also at teaching colleges (although i am not 100% sure). What is unique about USF is that there IS a program in existence that is 100% devoted to undergraduate research, more specifically facilitates the paring of undegrads with professors in a related field to complete research. It is run by a female professor whose name escapes me. I am sure if you call up your college's office - that they will be able to tell you exactly what professor is in charge and how to apply. Hope this helps.   

The Carnegie Foundation categorizes universities based on it's own classification criteria -- this is usually what designates a university as a "Research" university.

I agree that research is not geared towards undergraduates. But, shouldn't there be some kind of research program for undergraduates?

I agree that research is not geared towards undergraduates. But, shouldn't there be some kind of research program for undergraduates?

oh my gosh - please re-read my post. THERE IS! CALL THEM!!! here is the website:  lol... http://www.ur.usf.edu/

have a good holiday!

• Content Count:  1,679

Yeah, please read the other posts.  I went to grad school at USF and taught there - I've never heard of a motivated undergraduate unable to get some sort of legitimate exposure to the research process.  Again, you do need to take the initiative and contact your department or the office mentioned in the previous post.

SORRY guys. I guess I misread something... Belle, that's exactly what web page was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

SORRY guys. I guess I misread something... Belle, that's exactly what web page was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

no prob sweetie- glad at least SOMEONE is interested in research as an undergrad... more students should actively take an interest :)

Archived