• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Research university

Economics_Nerd82

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

SORRY guys. I guess I misread something... Belle, that's exactly what web page was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

no prob sweetie- glad at least SOMEONE is interested in research as an undergrad... more students should actively take an interest :)

haha, well, I'm not an undergrad any more.... In fact, I just got my masters from USF.

BUT, I was asking because I haven't seen UR mentioned anywhere... not even a poster on a wall in the library. Unless I missed it somewhere. I think that's a shame. I think the university should push research in all levels. It might not be earth shattering research or anything, but I think it can only help students gain experience where as other students in the nation don't.

• Content Count:  1,679

SORRY guys. I guess I misread something... Belle, that's exactly what web page was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

no prob sweetie- glad at least SOMEONE is interested in research as an undergrad... more students should actively take an interest :)

haha, well, I'm not an undergrad any more.... In fact, I just got my masters from USF.

BUT, I was asking because I haven't seen UR mentioned anywhere... not even a poster on a wall in the library. Unless I missed it somewhere. I think that's a shame. I think the university should push research in all levels. It might not be earth shattering research or anything, but I think it can only help students gain experience where as other students in the nation don't.

You're right, but it's a difficult problem.  Undergraduates just haven't spent enough years in the field to be able to contribute to research, so involving them isn't really an exercise in producing research so much as it is an exercise in teaching.  When someone enters a PhD program, for example, it's only towards the end that they really transition from student to productive researcher.  As an exercise in teaching, it falls outside the scope of what most professors need to spend their time on. 

But I agree that more attention should be paid to undergraduate research programs like the one Belle mentioned, even if it means hiring more staff who do nothing but mentor undergraduate researchers.

• Content Count:  478
  • Days Won:  0

You're right, but it's a difficult problem.  Undergraduates just haven't spent enough years in the field to be able to contribute to research, so involving them isn't really an exercise in producing research so much as it is an exercise in teaching.  When someone enters a PhD program, for example, it's only towards the end that they really transition from student to productive researcher.  As an exercise in teaching, it falls outside the scope of what most professors need to spend their time on. 

But I agree that more attention should be paid to undergraduate research programs like the one Belle mentioned, even if it means hiring more staff who do nothing but mentor undergraduate researchers.

Thats really true. BUT if USF wants their undergrads to get into top grad schools and not just end up at FSU or UF - they need to provide them with ways to make their applications stand out. I would have KILLED to have a publication or even a conference paper going into the application process. When I got to my PhD program - most of my peers had at least one conference paper under their belt from undergrad. USF could be a feeder school to the elite northern or mid western schools if they play their cards right, as i am not sure if FSU or UF have a program like this. Does anyone know?

Thats really true. BUT if USF wants their undergrads to get into top grad schools and not just end up at FSU or UF - they need to provide them with ways to make their applications stand out. I would have KILLED to have a publication or even a conference paper going into the application process. When I got to my PhD program - most of my peers had at least one conference paper under their belt from undergrad. USF could be a feeder school to the elite northern or mid western schools if they play their cards right, as i am not sure if FSU or UF have a program like this. Does anyone know?

I don't know about FSU or UF, but I would imagine it's similar to USF.  When I was in grad school at USF I did work with at least two undergrads who ended up getting their name on a conference presentation.  So it does happen.  The undergrad just needs to be reliable and responsible for tasks they are given, and be persistent in trying to find a professor who will take them on.

I went to a smaller, more teaching-focused college, and it was easy for undergrads to find a professor to work with.  In that situation the faculty weren't under pressure to publish as much or chase grants, and I think they were more or less rewarded for helping students produce conference posters, that sort of thing.  There was no PhD program there. 

Where'd you go for undergrad? I've only been teaching at the college level for a little over 4 years - but - i think that kids that come out of smaller colleges are better prepared to handle graduate school - at least in majors like history, English and the rest of the humanities. Your thoughts?

Where'd you go for undergrad? I've only been teaching at the college level for a little over 4 years - but - i think that kids that come out of smaller colleges are better prepared to handle graduate school - at least in majors like history, English and the rest of the humanities. Your thoughts?

BA - UNC-Charlotte, MA - Appalachian State

What I think is that a motivated student can have a great experience and be well prepared for whatever comes next at any type of college.  With that being said...

Research universities offer things other colleges just can't.  However, it's much easier for undergraduates to get lost in the shuffle, so the undergraduate has to be more motivated and assertive and seek out the opportunities that are there. 

Smaller and more teaching-focused colleges generally do a better job of engaging undergraduates in a more holistic learning environment. 

It's impossible to say which one is better - Joe will shine at a small college where Sue will shrivel, and vice-versa at a large research university.

thats probably true. i think highly competitive schools churn out highly competitive students and a lot of the little schools are really cutthroat i am finding. i am really glad i went to usf. i really really miss it. maybe if i ever write something semi-intelligent in a very competitive journal they might let me teach a class there. Although I really don't see myself as much of a teacher - i like one on one meetings with students over coffee much better, It is my DREAM to teach a business class aimed at YOUNG professionals in Fl. I think tampa and usf really needs someone to do that! and i think it would be a lot of fun too. 

• Content Count:  937

I haven't had too many opportunities to do research in business (requested, and no results), but have had opportunities to work with the center of entrepenurialship

Archived