• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East needs to expand...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

Yeah I know its a long way away from becoming a reality, if it becomes one at all, but figured with the College season in the books, and my Dolphins sucking this sadly is all that is left for me.

Yeah I tried to skim over the NCAA and could not come up with many teams that would bring in a huge amount of revenue either, and understand the whole sharing thing and how it works.

But you also need to factor in that the Big East is the smallest of the BCS Conferences; if we add 3 more teams (brings the Conference to 10 teams), then we would be making a bit more then we were before, but even if Notre Dame were to join by itself we still would not be able to leap frog the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, or PAC 10.

In my opinion the Big East should tell Notre Dame to either crap or get off the pot and join as a football school or get out. They are not known for Basketball, Baseball, or Water Polo they are known for football and in their current capacity they are less then worthless to the Conference.

Besides Notre Dame, I think the Big East should look at the following teams:

1.) Marshall

2.) UCF

3.) ECU

4.) Southern Miss

5.) Florida Atlantic

6.) Tulane

7.) Troy

Unfortunately this appears to be it, I don't see the Big East being able to steal Maryland, or any other team from another BCS Conference until we add more teams to the mix. Like you said it is based on revenue and until we have it the Maryland's will not bite.

those teams suck

usf and rest are better off at 8 football teams

it is working for usf

expansion would be bad for usf

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really see any non BCS schools that would bring much worth to the conference and the only one that i think the BE should have a legit interest in (TCU) is too far away to even be geographically considered.   Expansion should NEVER be an option unless the teams you are adding can bring significant improvement/benefit to the conference. 

TCU would be a good addition, I did not even think about them. Also I don't think they are any further away from USF then Syracuse or Connecticut is. Plus they would be a good addition to creating a Big East Southern Division.

big east with a texas team

NO WAY

What about Navy? I realize they got their own thing going, but, just an idea.

service academies have expressed on multiple occasions that they have no desire to be in the big east football conference.

SERVICE ACADEMIES DOTN HELP

LEAVE THEM OUT

I don't really see any non BCS schools that would bring much worth to the conference and the only one that i think the BE should have a legit interest in (TCU) is too far away to even be geographically considered.   Expansion should NEVER be an option unless the teams you are adding can bring significant improvement/benefit to the conference. 

no non bcs schools

how would they help us

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I don't really see any non BCS schools that would bring much worth to the conference and the only one that i think the BE should have a legit interest in (TCU) is too far away to even be geographically considered.  Expansion should NEVER be an option unless the teams you are adding can bring significant improvement/benefit to the conference. 

no non bcs schools

how would they help us

TCU would open doors for the BE to recruit Texas stronger.  You always whine for more blue chips and better acess to the Texas recruiting base would certainly help. 

• Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

no non bcs schools

how would they help us

TCU would open doors for the BE to recruit Texas stronger.   You always whine for more blue chips and better acess to the Texas recruiting base would certainly help.   

As much as I'd agree that TCU (or any Texas team for that matter) would give the Big East a new recruiting area, I just don't see us getting a team THAT far west.  Louisville, DePaul, and Marquette are fine, but in time there may be a need for expansion, and maybe better options for teams.

Slightly off topic, but what if Notre Dame kept it's independence in football, but swapped all other sports to the Big Ten.  Do you think they'd be up for a deal like that?

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Georgia Tech would be awesome.  Brings the geographical center of the conference south a little bit and brings in the Atlanta market.

• Content Count:  69
  • Days Won:  0

Georgia Tech would be a good move, however the only Big East team with enough pull to get GT on our side would be Notre Dame and they distance themselves from the Big East in Football.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

On this regard, unlike everything else of course, I am just talking out of my ass... what does it exactly take to have a school move from the ACC to the Big East (like GaTech)?

Archived