• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East needs to expand...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Another issue, outside revenue, is perception.  Adding 4 weak teams would create the perception (rightfully or not) that the Big East was CUSA on steroids.  That is why I said that if a non-BCS team started doing what Louisville did prior to the Big East then that team could potentially be a choice.  I can't see 4 teams making that type of noise.

By your reasoning Sanjay, UCF is potentially a choice to join the BE (new stadium, new indoor practice facility, new arena, willing to pay $1M to a coach).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

What about Navy? I realize they got their own thing going, but, just an idea.

• Content Count:  416
  • Days Won:  0

If we had the service acadamy(ies) we would be importing some tradition but still not strength. Regardless of how well they may be playing the acadamies can't compete at the BCS level year in and year out.

• Content Count:  2,661

Besides Notre Dame, I think the Big East should look at the following teams:

1.) Marshall

2.) UCF

3.) ECU

4.) Southern Miss

5.) Florida Atlantic

6.) Tulane

7.) Troy

I see the above list as "seven reasons the Big East Conference should NOT expand."

Seriously, how do any of those schools make the Big East better?

• Content Count:  500

The only way we will expand, is if the b-ball teams split. This is why there should be more than just a focus on what the football team is doing. If the bball only schools went away, I would love to see Memphis join our conference.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I don't really see any non BCS schools that would bring much worth to the conference and the only one that i think the BE should have a legit interest in (TCU) is too far away to even be geographically considered.  Expansion should NEVER be an option unless the teams you are adding can bring significant improvement/benefit to the conference. 

• Content Count:  260

What about Navy? I realize they got their own thing going, but, just an idea.

service academies have expressed on multiple occasions that they have no desire to be in the big east football conference.

• Content Count:  69

I don't really see any non BCS schools that would bring much worth to the conference and the only one that i think the BE should have a legit interest in (TCU) is too far away to even be geographically considered.  Expansion should NEVER be an option unless the teams you are adding can bring significant improvement/benefit to the conference. 

TCU would be a good addition, I did not even think about them. Also I don't think they are any further away from USF then Syracuse or Connecticut is. Plus they would be a good addition to creating a Big East Southern Division.

• Content Count:  69

I also did not think about the problem between the BBall and Football teams in the Big East. I guess that problem will need to be addressed if the Big East can expand any bigger.

How about using the BBall schools as bargaining chips to get bigger schools, like trade some BBall schools for good or well known Football schools  ???

• Content Count:  2,661

I also did not think about the problem between the BBall and Football teams in the Big East. I guess that problem will need to be addressed if the Big East can expand any bigger.

I'm not aware of any rift between football and basketball schools. Schools like Syracuse and UConn cherish their basketball rivalries with traditional non-football schools like Seton Hall, Providence, Georgetown, etc. I do not think a split along football lines would be popular among the long-time northeastern schools -- who probably have enough clout to kill such a measure if it were ever floated.

Yes, the BE's status as a mixed league is unique among BCS football conferences. But the Big East has a unique history.

Once again, I fail to see what's so desperately wrong with the Big East Conference that we need to add trash like Marshall and Southern Mississippi.

Archived