• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can they stop the 4 hour games?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  22,717
  • Days Won:  109

Anyone else tired of the 4 hour college football game?  Our game v Pitt was real close to 4 and the RU v UL game last night was just a few minutes short of 4 hours.  The pro game started 1/2 hour prior to the college game and finished before.  Even accounting for the extra 5 miuntes at halftime..... 

Maybe if the Big East officials could get 1/2 the plays right the first time around they wouldn't need so many replays.

It really becomes tedious watching - unless its the Bulls of course.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

During our RU game, I don't think I have ever seen so many commercials. It was ridiculous. That is of course after starting the coverage half an hour before kick-off.

I agree that it needs to be fixed. College football make a lot of money for a lot of people. I need to figure out how to tap into that market.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,056
  • Days Won:  469

I don't mind the 4 hour games except when it runs past the time my DVR is set for.  I set the last game for 5.5 hours...

I could watch Bulls football (and all the commercials) for 12 hours.  Doesn't bother me at all.  I devote the whole Saturday to the game.

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

No, I am not tired of the game length. This is this exact sentiment that led to the stupid decision last year to start the clock after change of possessions and when the ball was kicked.  The clock stops after every first down and the play clock is longer.  That's just how it is.  Most people do not complain that something takes too long if they enjoy watching it.

Now, the refs are stupid and replays shouldn't take so long, but the game rules need to stay the same.  Commercials make them money so if the networks feel like they are losing viewers by showing too many commercials, they will lessen them.  Commercials are part of all TV, though, so that's something you just need to accept as well.  If they bother you that much, start watching the game 20-30 minutes after it starts on a DVR and you'll be good to go.

• Content Count:  21,107
  • Days Won:  39

I like the long games.

• Content Count:  2,363

If it's a game that's intriguing, the time doesn't bother me. And if it's a game that does nothing for me, I'll go find something else that does. So long games are no problem to me.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

don't forget that at least with a number of the USF games injuries were playing a big part in the time...when you have 5+ injuries that are stopping play each game that time adds up

• Content Count:  2,511

Anyone else tired of the 4 hour college football game?  Our game v Pitt was real close to 4 and the RU v UL game last night was just a few minutes short of 4 hours.  The pro game started 1/2 hour prior to the college game and finished before.  Even accounting for the extra 5 miuntes at halftime..... 

Maybe if the Big East officials could get 1/2 the plays right the first time around they wouldn't need so many replays.

It really becomes tedious watching - unless its the Bulls of course.

Only if they get rid of the commercials.  Is not going to happen my friend.  I predict that soon the uniforms will someday have sponsor logos like NASCAR or FIFA football (soccer).

I could watch Bulls football (and all the commercials) for 12 hours.  Doesn't bother me at all.  ...

(Bold my emphasis).  Commercials?  Are you crazy, man?  Too me, commercials are a worse form of torture than waterboarding.  Especially during weekday daytime TV - 99% feminine hygiene product commercials interspersed with children's toy commercials geared towards dopey brain-dead housewives.  :o

The whole reason I pay extra every month for my DVR is to zip past all the commercials.  :clap

• Content Count:  7,890

I don't mind the 4 hour games except when it runs past the time my DVR is set for.  I set the last game for 5.5 hours...

I could watch Bulls football (and all the commercials) for 12 hours.  Doesn't bother me at all.  I devote the whole Saturday to the game.

I'm with you on that the more BULLS football the better

• Content Count:  1,757

No, I am not tired of the game length. This is this exact sentiment that led to the stupid decision last year to start the clock after change of possessions and when the ball was kicked.  The clock stops after every first down and the play clock is longer.  That's just how it is.  Most people do not complain that something takes too long if they enjoy watching it.

Now, the refs are stupid and replays shouldn't take so long, but the game rules need to stay the same.  Commercials make them money so if the networks feel like they are losing viewers by showing too many commercials, they will lessen them.  Commercials are part of all TV, though, so that's something you just need to accept as well.  If they bother you that much, start watching the game 20-30 minutes after it starts on a DVR and you'll be good to go.

Uggh, I couldn't stand to do that!  I find myself watching the games on my non high def bedroom TV because our HD DVR has about a 5 second delay.  I couldn't take a delay of minutes, I need to know what's going on RIGHT NOW!  It also makes it almost unbearable to listen to the radio broadcast while watching the game on TV.  Nothing like hearing what happens before you see it, but it is preferable to some of those ESPN "personalities".      

I don't mind the 4 hour game.  I think longer games work to the advantage of the southern teams, esp in the early season heat.  Last year the time rules sucked.  It was statistically improbable for a team to be able to come back from a 2 score deficit after the 5 minute mark expired.  It really took those last-minute upsets out of the game.    

Archived