• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Possible Transfer to Bulls?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

screw him.  i want streeter from northwestern.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

if his issue is PT at QB, then USF probably isn't the place he wants to be as Grothe obviously has the position locked for the next two years...

however, if he DID want to come home and i were CJL, i wouldn't hold grudges.  talent is talent, i wouldn't turn it down... unless of course CJL feels that he would cause issues that would disrupt the lockerroom.

besides... if he did transfer, he would probably have to wait out a year, and would be a Jr. behind Grothe in his Sr. year.

I think at the time Denson was also going to transfer to USF and there was even talk about Brent Schaefer coming here and some other QB. Even so, Fayson was still a junior and he would have been a year behind any of those guys. If he wanted to decommit because he didn't want to compete against them that was his right. He should NOT have impugned the integrity of Leavitt. That is UNFORGIVABLE, IMO.

Having said that, he DID have a sick mother, so maybe she is worse now and he might not have to sit out a year. If  he wanted to transfer here, it would be imperative that he issue a PUBLIC apology to Leavitt before we would even consider him.

I really don't think a public apology is needed since a lot don't even remember he commited here and even more never heard, or don't remember, the dissing of CJL.... If he wants to come here and Jim wants him .... welcome!

Well, it really stuck in MY craw at the time, and I can just imagine what CJL thought of his remarks. I couldn't find the article when he decommitted, but it happened not too long after after this article appeared:

USF Adds Another QB Recruit

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Aug 24, 2004

TAMPA - Monticello Jefferson County High's Carlton Hill, rated the nation's No. 9 senior quarterback, verbally committed to the University of South Florida on Monday, continuing the Bulls' run on commitments from high- profile quarterbacks.

Hill, the Bulls' No. 1 2005 recruiting target at quarterback, said he chose USF over Miami, LSU, Maryland and Purdue. The 6-foot-3, 212-pounder also had scholarship offers from Florida State, Florida, Auburn, Michigan State and North Carolina State.

``I admire USF's program, it's close to home and I have a pretty good chance of playing soon,'' Hill said. ``I like their team and that they're moving to the Big East [in 2005].

``I wanted to commit before the season started so I could enjoy my senior year. This takes a lot of pressure off me.''

As a junior, Hill threw for more than 1,600 yards with 21 touchdowns and only three interceptions. He rushed for 600 yards and 12 TDs. He was also the Class 1A 200-meter state champion.

As a sophomore at Tallahassee Rickards, he threw for 1,500 yards and nine TDs.

``The quarterback coach at Purdue, who used to be at Marshall when Byron Leftwich was there, said [Hill] is a combination of Leftwich and [Michael] Vick,`` Jefferson County coach Jeff Schaum told Rivals.com.

Hill is rated the state's second-best and nation's ninth-best QB prospect by TheInsiders.com.

The Bulls are now heavy with quarterbacks. Besides sophomore starter Pat Julmiste and freshman reserve Louis Gachette, USF added Auburn transfer Courtney Denson, a SuperPrep All- American who isn't eligible until 2005, and received commitments from Lake Gibson senior Matt Grothe and Hillsborough junior Jarred Fayson in the past month.

``That [the number of quarterbacks] is not a concern,'' Hill said. ``I'm ready to compete. I don't think I'll take any visits [to other schools]. I might visit to have fun, but I'm still headed to USF.''

Frankly, I'd rather get Carlton Hill back. He could have gone to Miami, but STUCK WITH USF.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Nothing from Florida, plz.

• Content Count:  695

I would like to have him.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

This would be an awesome get. He wouldn't be coming as a QB but as a receiver and he is an absolute beast. The Gator fans do not want to lose him. He is a soph and has played for them but wants more time. I don't blame him. They are loaded but he could easily be a top receiver for them over the next couple of years. Anybody who wouldn't take this kid doesn't know anything about football. The kid realizes he made a mistake and wants to come home. I'm all for it.

• Content Count:  849

He could be a great receiver for us and seeing a lot of dropped passes this year makes WR a priority position every year especially in the spread offense. Taurus and Marcus Edwards will be seniors next year and their are no guarantees that guys like Jason Sherman, Patrick Richardson will be studs.

Does anybody have a link where he says that he wants to transfer to the bulls or even transfer at all?

• Content Count:  695

Fayson is talented, obviously a hardship thing would change this but a normal transfer would allow him to redshirt which would make him a senior when Grothe leaves and he could take over at QB, or if he didn't mind being a WR he could join our good young receiving corps. Carlton Mitchell, Dontavia Bogan, Jarred Fayson, now thats a dangerous threesome and then Grothe and Ford, what an offense!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

To be fair to Fayson he SOUNDED like he really wanted to go to USF. His mom was a breast cancer survivor, and her condition might be the reason he left Florida. Perhaps, he did patch things up with Leavitt. I wish I could find the article that either Auman or McMurphy wrote when he decommitted. Maybe, one of them still has it in his archives, or can post his exact quote.

Here is the article on his verbal:

USF an early pick for Terriers QB

By EMILY NIPPS

Published August 20, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Hillsborough quarterback Jarred Fayson has plenty of time and room to grow before making a college decision, but he saw no reason to wait.

The 16-year-old junior orally committed to the University of South Florida over the summer while attending a USF football camp.

Fayson easily could change his mind between now and Feb. 1, 2006, the earliest he can sign an official letter of intent with the Bulls. He does not foresee a change of heart, though.

Fayson's mother, Carla, is a breast cancer survivor and he wants to stay by her side as long as possible.

"She's been very healthy for a few years, but I really want to stay close to home," Fayson said.

"I talked (my decision) over with my parents and my coaches, and they thought this was the best thing."

Hillsborough coach Earl Garcia said in his 19 years as a head coach, he couldn't recall any of his players committing as early as Fayson. The 6-foot-2, 195-pounder is the first-ever USF recruit to commit before his junior season.

"It's a great move for Jarred and it's a great coup for South Florida," said Garcia, a USF alum. "I truly believe if Jarred stays healthy and works hard and remains a solid student, he'll probably be the most highly recruited quarterback in the state."

By the time he gets to campus in the fall of 2006, Fayson will be the youngest of five scholarship quarterbacks on USF's roster, assuming everyone continues as scheduled and the Bulls don't recruit any other quarterbacks in the next two years.

The Bulls could have current starter Pat Julmiste as a senior, current freshman Louis Gachette as a sophomore or junior, recent Auburn transfer Courtney Denson as a junior and Lake Gibson's Matt Grothe, a high school senior who has committed to USF, as a second-year quarterback.

That doesn't include walkon Anthony Severino, who joined the program last year and would be a junior in 2006.

Fayson threw for 1,597 yards (81-of-139) with 10 touchdowns and six interceptions last season as a sophomore. He said he also has received offers from Central Florida and Syracuse and got a lot of praise from coaches at a University of Florida football camp this summer.

"They said they liked my style of play," Fayson said.

"And that I was a "yes sir, no sir' type of guy."

Times staff writer Greg Auman contributed

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

what many on here don't understand is that we are a young program that needs to get talented transfers to help build this thing. These kids will start to realize that we are the real deal and can play for a NC. Plus they can get playing time here where they might be buried on another teams depth chart.

They will start to choose us first but until then it's wise to bring in all the talent we can handle, transfer or not.

Should we pass on Kawika because he didn't pick us first? Or Tyrone? Or Jamar? Or Ford? No they're 18 year old kids that think they are making the best choice for themselves but soon realize we were it all along. If anything we can use this as a way to tell kids to pick us. Look at Fayson, he went to UF and didn't get the time. He decided to come home. He's not a trouble maker and plays as a true sophmore on the defending national championship team and you guys want to pass. amazing.

Archived