• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting Bowl Article: Rutgers to Toronto?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

Sun won't shine on Knights

By KEITH SARGEANT

STAFF WRITER

Rutgers fans should get their passports ready for a bowl game in Toronto.

Just make sure any reservations you make today are refundable, because the only certainty about Rutgers' postseason fate is that nothing is certain at all.

In fact, the only thing clear is that the Scarlet Knights are headed to one of these three second-tier Big East bowls: The Toronto-based International Bowl on Jan. 5; the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte, N.C., on Dec. 29; or the Papa John's Bowl in Birmingham, Ala., on Dec. 22.

The most likely spot is Toronto, according to a Big East official with knowledge of the conference's bowl picture. If that's the case, Rutgers would face a Mid-American Conference foe at the Rogers Centre (noon, ESPN2).

Scratch El Paso off the list of destinations after two officials familiar with the Sun Bowl's thinking said Sunday that Rutgers has been removed from consideration for the Big East's No. 2 game.

While this comes in contrast to what Sun Bowl selection chairman John Folmer said last Tuesday, when he told the Home News Tribune that Rutgers would be considered if it finished 8-4, officials said the Sun Bowl committee will make its decision this weekend  after the Connecticut-West Virginia game that decides the Big East title and before the Scarlet Knights play at Louisville in their regular-season finale on Nov. 29.

That leaves only the Big East's Nos. 3, 4 and 5 bowls as the possible destinations for a Rutgers team that clinched its unprecedented third straight bowl invite with a 20-16 win over Pittsburgh on Saturday.

Here's the problem for Rutgers as it heads into its bye on college football's penultimate weekend: Four of the Big East's five bowl-eligible teams could be sitting with nine or more wins when the dust clears this Saturday. At 7-4, the Scarlet Knights figure to have a stiff challenge in getting to eight victories.

Source

Thank God if this is true... With the U Conn to the Sun Bowl article, it could mean USF to Charlotte!!

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Really this makes the most sense.  When you factor in that Cincinnati played there last year, and we're from Florida, Rutgers is the best option to go North of the Border.  Its beginning to look alot like Charlotte..............fingers crossed. 

Beat Pitt!!

• Content Count:  975
  • Days Won:  1

Hopefully they get to bring their refs with them as they were the beneficiary of another homer call Saturday to take away a Pitt TD in the final 20 seconds.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

Its beginning to look alot like Charlotte..............fingers crossed. 

yup.  a win Saturday would likely mean Charlotte, a loss could mean...  ::gulp:: ...Birmingham.

i'm still holding out hope for Jacksonville.  it would make the most sense, IMO.

• Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

I don't understand why the writer thinks that Rutgers may have a tough time getting to 8-4 when they play the L Thursday night.  My goodness, Rice might run for 300 yards against the 'Pamela Anderson defense' in that game.  (Everyone scores  :ROFLMAO).

Normal

I don't understand why the writer thinks that Rutgers may have a tough time getting to 8-4 when they play the L Thursday night.  My goodness, Rice might run for 300 yards against the 'Pamela Anderson defense' in that game.  (Everyone scores  :ROFLMAO).

Normal

It's senior night at Louisville.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

Normal

and the Cards want revenge for the one blemish on their perfect season last year.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Its beginning to look alot like Charlotte..............fingers crossed. 

yup.  a win Saturday would likely mean Charlotte, a loss could mean...  ::gulp:: ...Birmingham.

i'm still holding out hope for Jacksonville.  it would make the most sense, IMO.

It wouldn't make the most sense for Gator Bowl officials.  If they take us this year, then they don't have the option of taking a really good Big East team in the next 2 years or Notre Dame and like it or not ND equals $$$$ for the city and the ratings.  They would be stuck with a Big 12 team, both years. 

• Content Count:  12,293

we just need to go to the Gator Bowl.

that would be the best draw for USF fans.  and with our home attendence #'s over 55K they should want us there.

i dont see texas tech out drawing us.  i think the  gator would rather wait till next year and maybe get a nebraska, texas am, texas, okla st, okla.

• Content Count:  2,461

I just don't see that mattering very much.

Archived