• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rays to get NEW STADIUM!!!

gurlybull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  500
  • Days Won:  0

IMO 35K is a great number for a baseball stadium. It helps create an "intimate" summer time setting.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,738

IMO 35K is a great number for a baseball stadium. It helps create an "intimate" summer time setting.

at least more intimate than an empty upper deck

• Content Count:  1,238

they shoould be called st pete devil rays

it is dumb to keep tampa bay name

I agree. They should have done a full name change to the "St. Pete Rays". I'm tired of seeing teams/stadiums with Tampa Bay in the name.

If the retirees of Pin. Cnty forked out for the Trop. and don't even attend games what makes anyone think they will vote to have another tax hike for another unused field. Can't wait to see the spin around voting time to take advantage of the old folks again. Retirees are on a fixed income and the way gas prices keep going up, causing everything else to rise, a new stadium will just be another waste to them. What is the price tag again? $400+ million?

By the way, why have a vote for a new tax to pay for the new field? Why not just sell the Trop./land to pay for the new field? Who will benefit from the sale of the Trop./land? The tax payers? I don't think so.

How's that saying go...?

Fool them once...

Fool them twice... ::)

But then hey, I don't really care what they end up doing since I live in Tampa and the whole idea of a baseball team in St. Pete has always been a laughing matter. Even when they offered free tickets to us we wouldn't go.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If the retirees of Pin. Cnty forked out for the Trop. and don't even attend games what makes anyone think they will vote to have another tax hike for another unused field. Can't wait to see the spin around voting time to take advantage of the old folks again. Retirees are on a fixed income and the way gas prices keep going up, causing everything else to rise, a new stadium will just be another waste to them. What is the price tag again? $400+ million?

By the way, why have a vote for a new tax to pay for the new field? Why not just sell the Trop./land to pay for the new field? Who will benefit from the sale of the Trop./land? The tax payers? I don't think so.

Did you read the article?

Sources tell 10 News that the new stadium, which will hold about 35,000 seats, will be largely paid for by the team with $150 million and proceeds from the sale and redevelopment rights of Tropicana Field

• Content Count:  1,238

Did you read the article?

Sources tell 10 News that the new stadium, which will hold about 35,000 seats, will be largely paid for by the team with $150 million and proceeds from the sale and redevelopment rights of Tropicana Field

Fair enough. That at least answers the  ???  about what will be done with sale of the Trop.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

They won't get 150 million for the old spot the Trop was on.

This team has done nothing to deserve any public funds for a new stadium, and until they do they start spending I'd say no. Public financing should not be used for stadiums.

As for why they are staying in St. Pete over Tampa. I've said it before. Steinbrenner has too  much power with Hillsborough as a public works donor and friend of the county. He voted against the Rays in 1995 and as long as the Yankees are holding spring training or games in Hillsborough, the w

Rays won't be coming this way.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Again, the article says the Rays will pay $150 million and use the proceeds from the sale of the Trop and the development rights.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

As for why they are staying in St. Pete over Tampa. I've said it before. Steinbrenner has too  much power with Hillsborough as a public works donor and friend of the county. He voted against the Rays in 1995 and as long as the Yankees are holding spring training or games in Hillsborough, the w

Rays won't be coming this way.

They're staying in St Pete because of the penallty for breaking the Trop lease ....... and I'd really be surprised if George really gives a **** about the Rays moving here or not. What would he be scared of?

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

150 + proceeds of the sale/development of the Trop? So reasonably at most 250 Million on 450 Million dollar stadium...For a team that won't spend 30 Million on a payroll?

It's a crap deal and I hope that the Rays commit to putting a product on the field before asking for 200 Mil from Pinellas county.

As for Steinbrenner, he oppossed the team in 1995, when he made plans and a deal with Hillsborough to move the Yankee's day to day operations as well as their spring training to Tampa.

The team would lve to move here, and I'm not buying the "lease in St Pete excuse because the Rays have been talking to Florida Citrus Sports and Disney about moving to Orlando if the deal does not work out in St. Pete by 2009.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Again, the article says the Rays will pay $150 million and use the proceeds from the sale of the Trop and the development rights.

and use the development rights to the trop that the county taxpayers own not the devil rays. by the way they still owe about $100million dollars on that so selling it would only pay off existing debt which of course they won't do. They will just hand that money to the owners and then continue to pay that debt down with taxpayer money and then give them a prime piece of property for the new stadium

If you think the owners will drop one dime on this then you are crazy. Crist is already talking about a $60million tax rebate for both Miami and St Pete for these tax payer funded stadiums. This is taking tax money directly from the state coffers and giving it to these wealthy owners.

He says it will bring JOBS. What a joke. Peanut vendor jobs maybe but not $60 million dollars worth of jobs. Let them leave or build their own stadium. Don't even give them the land to build on. Public financed stadiums are a joke especially when our state has a $1.5 billion budget shortfall and their talking about cutting education and other vital services.

How about our property tax rebates he's promised first?

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/nov/14/na-rays-face-financial-hurdles-on-stadium/?news-nationworld

Archived