• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rays to get NEW STADIUM!!!

gurlybull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

you're late.

the story was on the st. pete times website front page at 6.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/11/09/Southpinellas/Rays_seeking_new_stad.shtml

anyway, what kind of professional baseball stadium holds only 35,000!  I still say move the stadium closer to downtown tampa.

based on this article, it says the reason why they chose this site is because it gives them an opportunity to move out of the Trop without having to fight the lease with the city of St. Pete:

"Not only could it evolve into a picturesque signature home, but it also would allow the team to get a new stadium without having to fight to get out of its lease at Tropicana Field, which runs through 2027.

The lease bars the Rays from moving anywhere without the city's permission, making an in-city move much more feasible than elsewhere in the Tampa Bay area, such as the state Fairgrounds location in eastern Hillsborough County. "

if that is the case, i still think it's gotta be as close to Tampa as possible, even if it is in pinellas county.  why not the area immediately once either the howard franklin or the gandy bridge ends in pinellas county?  there is a TON of waterfront property right there that can be used to build a stadium as well as parking.. not only that, it's easy access for tampa residents, and it's still in pinellas county, so they wouldnt have to fight the lease.

they shoould be called st pete devil rays

it is dumb to keep tampa bay name

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  400
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah sure, they are isolating the fan base east of Tampa, but if they moved it to Tampa they would isolate all the fans west of St. Pete.

is that supposed to be sarcasm?  all the fans west of St. Pete would be the sharks, shrimp, and tarpon that live in the gulf of mexico.

But this lease preventing them from leaving the city of St. Pete pretty much makes it impossible to move a stadium to the other side of the bay, unless Stu forks over A LOT of money to St. Pete.

that's why i suggested the area right where the howard franklin and gandy bridges end in pinellas county.  the empty area between derby lane greyhound track where gandy is and feathersound where the howard franklin in.. technically, it is still in pinellas county, but it's the closest to people from hillsborough county.. also, it is waterfront property, so you could build a staidum on the water.. there's enough area for parking too, so that would be extra revenue that they would lose out on if it were where Al Lang Stadium is in downtown st. pete with no parking.

• Content Count:  509

Yeah sure, they are isolating the fan base east of Tampa, but if they moved it to Tampa they would isolate all the fans west of St. Pete.

is that supposed to be sarcasm?  all the fans west of St. Pete would be the sharks, shrimp, and tarpon that live in the gulf of mexico.

man, don't forget about the rays in the gulf!

yeah, I agree with you.  the stadium should be in Tampa.  if they could find 10 acres in downtown St. Pete, they should be able to find some land in/near downtown Tampa/Ybor.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

change the freakin city already from tampa to st pete. im sick of having this team ruining tampas image. call them st pete rays and let them ruin st petes image. they are a joke of a team

i think al lang is on the other side of downtown, but still in downtown.. the nice part of downtown, where the restaurants and whatnot are.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

i think al lang is on the other side of downtown, but still in downtown.. the nice part of downtown, where the restaurants and whatnot are.

If they can figure a way to cool the fans off I think that's a great, scenic location.... and as far as location, win and the location won't mean a **** thing.

• Content Count:  509

If they can figure a way to cool the fans off I think that's a great, scenic location....

there's only one maybe two games a week during the days.  all the other games are at night.  I think most people can take about an hour of the unbearable 7PM Florida sun.  The bigger concern with an outdoor stadium is rainouts and rain delays.

.... and as far as location, win and the location won't mean a **** thing.

true.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

there's only one maybe two games a week during the days.  all the other games are at night.  I think most people can take about an hour of the unbearable 7PM Florida sun.  The bigger concern with an outdoor stadium is rainouts and rain delays.

I really wasn't even thinking about the sun because it sounds like there's going to be some kind of roof over it. I was thinking more of the heat and humidity, even at night. Bucs pre-season August night games can be brutal ...... I think personal seat ac's would be just perfect..

Archived