• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

For all you computer people

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

I know this isn't a place for the main board, so mods please don't move it right away.

I need to figure out how to control what kids post on the internet and what they see, does anybody have any advice on this?

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

This should be in The Trough, and it would get responses.

I'd start with your internet provider, most of them provide some sort of security software free.  Who do you use?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,343
  • Days Won:  10

Yeah, a couple:

No computers in bedrooms.  They go in the living room next to the TV.  Passworded so only a parent can log it on.

Purchase NetNanny or some filtering software.  It will not only filter, but log where each user has been.  Set your computer up with different profiles for each user, that way there is no confusion as to who went where.

To some posters, these sound Draconian.  But in my house, I am the rule maker, not my kids.  It is not a democracy.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  150

good parenting there-- and I'm not being sarcastic

Not sure what I would do with a teenager these days-- in my day, the phone was the biggest deal going. When we got cable, it was like a whole new world.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I was automatically thinking what program to use to monitor the kids.  Sorry, I work in IT, comes with the territory.

I agree with Grateful Dad, though I think you need to relax the rules as they get older, just like any other life rule. 

Brighthouse gives you free monitoring/blocking software, as does AOL and most DSL providers.

• Content Count:  3,103

well i'm working at a Jewish boarding school in Greensboro, NC, and the higher ups don't want the kids to get into certain websites, and also don't them posting certain things that could get them in trouble, we recently had a problem with some material posted by some students that was inapporpriate and the higher ups foundout about it and made them review the material.  but we want to avoid this and put a stop to it before it gets them into trouble.  we already have a program that blocks some websites and content that the students can't see, and internet shuts off after midnight i believe. 

• Content Count:  1,066

Also, if you are using a router to connect all the computers in the house to one internet connection, you can do the following:

1)Assign a static IP address to each computer instead of using the DHCP service

2)With a static IP address, you can filter what sites, key words, or even internet capable services they have access to.

3)Also, can set a timer as to when internet access is available

4)If you ground your child, you can also block internet access for the duration

5)Easier monitoring with the log since each computer would have unique and consistant IP address

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,748
  • Days Won:  3

)Assign a static IP address to each computer instead of using the DHCP service

2)With a static IP address, you can filter what sites, key words, or even internet capable services they have access to.

3)Also, can set a timer as to when internet access is available

4)If you ground your child, you can also block internet access for the duration

5)Easier monitoring with the log since each computer would have unique and consistant IP address

In particular, the log would make it potentially easier to trace back to a given user, which is what I think

Rabbi was most concerned with. Although you can filter inbound material - to an extent - the only thing

you can about the 'posting' is identify the individual involved. There's not much you can do (as we see

here) once the horses have escaped the barn.  8)

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

We do a lot of computer work for people in our company (an IT Service Provider).  When we have had business owners with lots of issues with internet surfing, etc, we have had them install the Mcaffee internet suite.  It keeps spyware/adware off, protects against viruses, and allows for control of INternet surfing. 

In XP/Vista, you would need to create an admin on the computer with rights who would then create the user "guest" accounts.

From there install the McAffee suite and control all other users.

If you were hooked up to the network and a shared internet connnection, could jsut get a web filtering product like some of the all in one SOnicwall firewalls or Watchguard, or similar firewall/blocking appliance.  Through a simple GUI you can restrict sites by category (auction sites, gambling, adult sites, etc).

Archived