• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My 2 cents on the losses

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

The biggest difference about the last three games that USF has played has been the opposing team’s coaches.  All three have solid backgrounds as defensive coordinators.  Since the first six games there have not been any new wrinkles to the USF offense. It has pretty much been the same thing all year since Elon all the way through Cincy.  That just gives the opposing teams plenty of film to watch, which to them probably gets boring because it begins to look like a repetitious episode of the 6 o'clock news.

As I mentioned once before I am not a big fan of Grothe running the ball so much. Even though Grothe may not mind, or maybe he does, USF really needs to establish a running back.  To take it a step further, even if a RB fumbles they should still have an opportunity to return to the game. It’s one thing to allow the opposing team to get in your head but when your coaches have you running in fear of a fumble that really does not make the situation better. (I was surprised not to see Taylor get a few more carries on Saturday considering the condition of Ford).  The next thing to a great defense is a good running game.  (I think USF can knows about this from the days of Andre Hall and from what RU and UCONN did to USF) 

The offense also needs more dedicated running plays.  "Get the ball into the running backs hands" Before I pass judgment on the offensive line not being good, I have to say they are not that accustomed to run blocking and the running backs are not accustomed to running behind them.  The running game similar to the passing game is all about coordination, timing and confidence.  The more dedicated runs like traps, off-tackles and sweeps USF runs the better the OL and RBs will be at running the ball.  The using the QB option as the main running threat is good for Army Navy and FCS schools when talent limited. What WVU and Oregon does as well as Texas w/ Young did was use the QB as threat not the main source of establishing a running attack.

With that said I still think USF can win their final three games. Go Bulls!!

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

We always seem to get positive yardage when we run strasight ahead.  it seems like the running plays where the RBs run side to side looking for a hole is where there is a problem. Usually results in a loss.  Seems like a bad combination of poor blocking and I'm not sold on any of our backs being fast enough to hit the holes or to get outside.  A FB would help.

One thing I also started to pick up on this week.  Maybe I am missing something here, but it seems that we throw very few timing passes.  Very few pass plays where Grothe throws in rhythym.  Very rarely where he drops back and hits a receiver coming our of a break.

You are xorrect.  there is a big difference between the way we run the spread and the way the other teams run the spread.  Oregon, WVU, Texas... they all have/had legitimate RB threats that carried.  That made for true option.  In this offense the only option seems to be will Grothe run left, right or up the middle.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

We have only one back (maybe) with enough lateral quickness to run all these east-west plays, and that is Aston Samuels.  I think Ford and Taylor are better RBs but need to get north-south quicker than the plays will allow.  This is especially true since the line has not been playing well.  With that in mind I think we should go more 2 TE like we did when Andre was here or bring in a FB.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

We have only one back (maybe) with enough lateral quickness to run all these east-west plays, and that is Aston Samuels.  I think Ford and Taylor are better RBs but need to get north-south quicker than the plays will allow.  This is especially true since the line has not been playing well.  With that in mind I think we should go more 2 TE like we did when Andre was here or bring in a FB.

I may be off base with this one, but to me it comes back to the offensive scheme.  Seems like they are trying to fit a square peg into the round hole.  They are trying to run offensive plays with players not necessarily suited to the type of plays they are calling.  The more I look at things the more I see just an offense built on hoping Grothe can make enough plays on offense to win the game.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I may be off base with this one, but to me it comes back to the offensive scheme.  Seems like they are trying to fit a square peg into the round hole.  They are trying to run offensive plays with players not necessarily suited to the type of plays they are calling.  The more I look at things the more I see just an offense built on hoping Grothe can make enough plays on offense to win the game.

You're not "off base" at all.

You're smack dab on the middle of the stinkin' base!

You've summed it up very well.

Greg Gregory is NOT qualified to gameplan against Big East defensive coordinators.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

one thing to consider is the fact that just having a second running threat in the backfield (like Ford) forces defenses to key on two people instead of just Grothe.

when BBQ is in, good defenses (like UConn and Cinci) are simply not worried about getting burnt by the RB and they can basically focus strictly on Grothe.

more two TE sets, I-forms and use of a FB, and two RB sets are definetely needed.  it should no longer be a case of BBQ or Ford/Taylor in the game.  we should be using BOTH (as well as Kelly or Padilla) to have extra blocking, a passing threat (BBQ is good out of the backfield) and two running threats (Grothe + Ford) all in the backfield.

we have so many tools that we just don't use to full capacity.

• Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

Where the heck did the nickname "BBQ" come from?

I think Pat Julmiste gave it to him bc his skin was so dark. that is what i read a while ago

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Where the heck did the nickname "BBQ" come from?

I think Pat Julmiste gave it to him bc his skin was so dark. that is what i read a while ago

:D

That's the best thing Pat Julmiste ever did.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

one thing to consider is the fact that just having a second running threat in the backfield (like Ford) forces defenses to key on two people instead of just Grothe.

when BBQ is in, good defenses (like UConn and Cinci) are simply not worried about getting burnt by the RB and they can basically focus strictly on Grothe.

more two TE sets, I-forms and use of a FB, and two RB sets are definetely needed.  it should no longer be a case of BBQ or Ford/Taylor in the game.  we should be using BOTH (as well as Kelly or Padilla) to have extra blocking, a passing threat (BBQ is good out of the backfield) and two running threats (Grothe + Ford) all in the backfield.

we have so many tools that we just don't use to full capacity.

Quite frankly, I think this is where the offense is moving.  The size of the OL we are recruituing is bigger, the backs are bigger and we are also recruiting more TEs.  All-in-all it could be a push for a more power oriented team down the line.  That would match Gregory's background as his resume as OC, as I recall, was with mroe run-based teams.

Archived