• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My 2 cents on the losses

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Where the heck did the nickname "BBQ" come from?

I think Pat Julmiste gave it to him bc his skin was so dark. that is what i read a while ago

Yes, this is correct.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

one thing to consider is the fact that just having a second running threat in the backfield (like Ford) forces defenses to key on two people instead of just Grothe.

when BBQ is in, good defenses (like UConn and Cinci) are simply not worried about getting burnt by the RB and they can basically focus strictly on Grothe.

more two TE sets, I-forms and use of a FB, and two RB sets are definetely needed.  it should no longer be a case of BBQ or Ford/Taylor in the game.  we should be using BOTH (as well as Kelly or Padilla) to have extra blocking, a passing threat (BBQ is good out of the backfield) and two running threats (Grothe + Ford) all in the backfield.

we have so many tools that we just don't use to full capacity.

Quite frankly, I think this is where the offense is moving.  The size of the OL we are recruituing is bigger, the backs are bigger and we are also recruiting more TEs.  All-in-all it could be a push for a more power oriented team down the line.  That would match Gregory's background as his resume as OC, as I recall, was with mroe run-based teams.

What a great resume..... The mighty Ohio Bobcats. Did he get fired from that gig?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815
  • Days Won:  0

I definately agree we need to establish our running game more and with most of the other things you guys have said, but I also noticed that not much was being said about our depth. It was touched upon briefly in this thread and I'm sure in previous ones but in my opinion one of the biggest things USF is missing right now is depth. We've shown we can win with our starters on the field, but unfortunately I think one of the pitfalls of being a young program is that talented players are less likely to come to USF if they know they're going to sit the bench the first few years and not play unless someone gets hurt. Over the years we have gotten more depth and we have a lot of talent, especially young talent, but when we loose our starters I'm not convinced we have the guys that can step up and perform at the level they need to be at to win.

• Content Count:  10,219

I definately agree we need to establish our running game more and with most of the other things you guys have said, but I also noticed that not much was being said about our depth. It was touched upon briefly in this thread and I'm sure in previous ones but in my opinion one of the biggest things USF is missing right now is depth. We've shown we can win with our starters on the field, but unfortunately I think one of the pitfalls of being a young program is that talented players are less likely to come to USF if they know they're going to sit the bench the first few years and not play unless someone gets hurt. Over the years we have gotten more depth and we have a lot of talent, especially young talent, but when we loose our starters I'm not convinced we have the guys that can step up and perform at the level they need to be at to win.

bingo

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I have actually been really impressed with our ability deep into our WR corps. O-Line has been decent considering the injuries they suffered from pre-season on. I think better depth will come from getting more recognition. You will have a really good QB not saying, I am going somewhere else because Matt Grothe is their QB, and are they really good enough for me to waste my time. Recruits will start thinking more on the lines of...'I think I could beat MG out, and with me at QB, they have the talent to win a national championship.' That makes it worth the risk to come in and learn a little. (for clarity, I don't think anyone is beating Grothe out in the next 2 years, just an example)

Back to my 'ability' statement. The young guys are probably better than the guys that are hurt, but you can't replace leadership and experience. I think not having Amarri or TJ there has been a huge hit from a leadership standpoint. Matt is still a sophomore, and though he is the perceived leader of our offense, I think that Amarri commands a lot of respect from the rest of the team, and TJ leads just through his actions, and the plays he makes.

The C Mitchell comments I have seen about Amarri show that he really looks up to him. Some guys are smarter than they are good. I think Amarri knows all of the routes (never see him out of position), knows the blocking (made some key blocks this season), knows the roles of a receiver, he just doesn't always execute them the best. But, everyone else knows that he is an authority, and it seems that the young guys look up to him. He is also very vocal, coaching them up on the sidelines about blocking, supporting Delber during the Auburn game, etc. That is hard to replace, and guys just have to grow into it.

I think next year, Grothe will really emerge as the true leader of this team. You can't make a leader, it just happens. Right now, everyone (media, coaches, fans) is trying to make Grothe that guy, but I just don't think it is working quite yet. Most leaders don't even know they are doing it.

• Content Count:  1,457

I have actually been really impressed with our ability deep into our WR corps. O-Line has been decent considering the injuries they suffered from pre-season on. I think better depth will come from getting more recognition. You will have a really good QB not saying, I am going somewhere else because Matt Grothe is their QB, and are they really good enough for me to waste my time. Recruits will start thinking more on the lines of...'I think I could beat MG out, and with me at QB, they have the talent to win a national championship.' That makes it worth the risk to come in and learn a little. (for clarity, I don't think anyone is beating Grothe out in the next 2 years, just an example)

Back to my 'ability' statement. The young guys are probably better than the guys that are hurt, but you can't replace leadership and experience. I think not having Amarri or TJ there has been a huge hit from a leadership standpoint. Matt is still a sophomore, and though he is the perceived leader of our offense, I think that Amarri commands a lot of respect from the rest of the team, and TJ leads just through his actions, and the plays he makes.

The C Mitchell comments I have seen about Amarri show that he really looks up to him. Some guys are smarter than they are good. I think Amarri knows all of the routes (never see him out of position), knows the blocking (made some key blocks this season), knows the roles of a receiver, he just doesn't always execute them the best. But, everyone else knows that he is an authority, and it seems that the young guys look up to him. He is also very vocal, coaching them up on the sidelines about blocking, supporting Delber during the Auburn game, etc. That is hard to replace, and guys just have to grow into it.

I think next year, Grothe will really emerge as the true leader of this team. You can't make a leader, it just happens. Right now, everyone (media, coaches, fans) is trying to make Grothe that guy, but I just don't think it is working quite yet. Most leaders don't even know they are doing it.

What wide out corps are you happy with (besides Hester?)  All others have DROPS - and in key instances.  Hester did not drop it last week - he was Mugged!  3 years from now when he is a SR. watch out b/c he will do some Mugging back!

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Mitchell and Bogan actually look like they are going to be studs to me. Both are freshman. Mitchell is leading the team in yards. Bogan has only played three games, and I am not sure if I have seen him drop anything yet (I am sure he has, but nothing that stuck in my mind). I think Bogan will end up being THE guy over the next three years.

As deep as we started the season at WR, there has to be a reason that Bogan didn't redshirt.

Hester of course would be included in my assesment. My only concern with him is whether or not he is ever going to be a guy that can pull down a catch in traffic (C Hill, and Bogan have proven that they can).

I think I have seen Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson all drop a ball at some point or another. The young WR's are at most two years on the team, give them time. Drops are going to happen, but when you are putting the game on the shoulders of a freshman or sophomore WR, you have to live with the results.

Archived