• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Band?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  162

I hope someone from HOT looks at a tape of the game.  Most of the TV shots of the band were directed to the top half of their section, where they have some extra room.  It looked raggedy-ass up there, with the sousaphones spread out too much, just doing their own thang.  Tighten it up people. 

after the first quarter-- the entire crowd looked raggedy-ass to me. the fair weather crowd left early or ducked out to do something else-- not sure. I miss the WVU crowd-- where we had butts in seats for the duration.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I really just want to hear them, I dont think its too much ask

If you really want to hear them then sit in the lower bowl in the northwest portion of the stadium... It's the only place that RJS accoustics will work...

Or better yet, donate to HOT so they can pay off their uniforms and buy much needed supplies... You want to compare them to big college programs like FSU, UF and UM but the truth is that HOT operates on a budget that is 25% of what UF and FSU have to work with.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

I really just want to hear them, I dont think its too much ask

If you really want to hear them then sit in the lower bowl in the northwest portion of the stadium... It's the only place that RJS accoustics will work...

Or better yet, donate to HOT so they can pay off their uniforms and buy much needed supplies... You want to compare them to big college programs like FSU, UF and UM but the truth is that HOT operates on a budget that is 25% of what UF and FSU have to work with.

True.  As long as we are in RJS... it will be pretty hard to hear HOT in ALL areas on the stadium.  It's the same everywhere you go... Auburn's band, NC State's band, ECU's band, lets not even talk about FAU's band. 

• Content Count:  1,066

I feel like we need a sticky topic like that of the OCS concerning H.O.T. and 1)Where to place band in RJS 2)Why can't I hear in North Endzone or in 300 level 3) Why do you play while on offense and finally 4) Mic up.

OIY VEY!

If you haven't caught on the past three seasons (this one included), we play downs cheers while on offense. MikeG brings up a great point of the analogy of the crowd cheering after an offensive play to that of H.O.T. playing BETWEEN downs. What's the difference?  Can't have one and not the other...

As for the sound, my fellow H.O.T. alum and current staff have said it numerous times and in a crystal clear fashion. It is the open bowl shape of RJS and the logistics of getting in and out of stands where the band is and how it sounds throughout the stadium.  The only time the band is mic'd up is for ESPN's TV broadcast. SouthShore said it, University of Miami is the only FL college marching band that is mic'd, of which, they sound horrible because of this; not saying that they are a horrible band.

What really needs to be brought to the Bulls Country's attention is that of the state of affairs with H.O.T..  I think with the formation of the H.O.T. Alumni Assoc. and as the University becomes more mature in D1-A (refuse to call it FBS Div.) football, we can work on issues in a more constructive manner to provide the highest standard possible for the fan's game day experience.

First order of business is to make sure that the Herd's previous years of awesome recruitment keeps moving forward so that year after year we can put 300+ on the field. With that said, SouthShore and I were privy to some interesting data about the state of affairs in regards to funding and other resources. This organization under the direction of Dr. Robinson and Schnetty are maximizing the most, and I mean the most, out of very little with what the University is giving them. THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE NOW.

Seriously, look at other top University football programs:  USC, UF, The Ohio State Univ., ND, and LSU just to name a few and tell me that you cannot 1) sing their fight song 2) know what "Dot the I" means and 3) recollect how many away games (outside state - regular season) they go on.  Does USF ever want to reach this level of excellence? Right now they are treating H.O.T. in a manner that they do not want this level of excellence. It is evident on how long it took for the new branding to finally make its way to the band compared to other football spirit squads that get new uniforms almost every year...

Who in Bulls Country is going to step up and start CONTRIBUTING instead of COMPLAINING about The Herd of Thunder?

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I can hear the band fine in section 123. I can't speak for the 300's.

I couldn't understand the band playing while we were in the huddle and on offense... although, I doubt it makes a whole lot of difference. When we are at the line, everything is quiet. That' what really matters.

The band is fine. What is NOT fine are the moron students starting the wave when we are actually losing. Not to mention someone's 5 year old in section 123. Someone teach that kid!

• Content Count:  971

Some of you guys may need an appointment with the Beltone folks.  Even after a game, I can hear HOT quite clearly out in the parking lots.

www.beltone.com

• Content Count:  1,985

i'd like to hear the band more. mainly because that "totally dude" song is the most laughably awful song of all time. i have a feeling real college football stadiums don't play that kind of crap, they let the band do the work in the music department.

Maybe the could mimc Michigan, but make it "Let's go Green?'

• Content Count:  2,478

Wow, some of these posts make me so angry. This is my first year in the HOT and I have loved every second of it. I have been so proud to try and help the team through the games and be there for the fans. And now some fans are trashing the HOT, wow.

And we are sorry the acoustics in Ray Jay aren't meant for a Colege Band. We are playing our **** hearts out in the stands, I still smile everytime we play the Bull. I always am first out of the tunnels for pre-game. We are proud of being in the band, we are proud to be BULLS!

Dr. Robinson and Schnetty are doing an amazing job with the HOT. They truly do their absolute best with the cards they have been given.

• Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I feel like we need a sticky topic like that of the OCS concerning H.O.T. and 1)Where to place band in RJS 2)Why can't I hear in North Endzone or in 300 level 3) Why do you play while on offense and finally 4) Mic up.

OIY VEY!

If you haven't caught on the past three seasons (this one included), we play downs cheers while on offense. MikeG brings up a great point of the analogy of the crowd cheering after an offensive play to that of H.O.T. playing BETWEEN downs. What's the difference?  Can't have one and not the other...

As for the sound, my fellow H.O.T. alum and current staff have said it numerous times and in a crystal clear fashion. It is the open bowl shape of RJS and the logistics of getting in and out of stands where the band is and how it sounds throughout the stadium.  The only time the band is mic'd up is for ESPN's TV broadcast. SouthShore said it, University of Miami is the only FL college marching band that is mic'd, of which, they sound horrible because of this; not saying that they are a horrible band.

What really needs to be brought to the Bulls Country's attention is that of the state of affairs with H.O.T..  I think with the formation of the H.O.T. Alumni Assoc. and as the University becomes more mature in D1-A (refuse to call it FBS Div.) football, we can work on issues in a more constructive manner to provide the highest standard possible for the fan's game day experience.

First order of business is to make sure that the Herd's previous years of awesome recruitment keeps moving forward so that year after year we can put 300+ on the field. With that said, SouthShore and I were privy to some interesting data about the state of affairs in regards to funding and other resources. This organization under the direction of Dr. Robinson and Schnetty are maximizing the most, and I mean the most, out of very little with what the University is giving them. THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE NOW.

Seriously, look at other top University football programs:  USC, UF, The Ohio State Univ., ND, and LSU just to name a few and tell me that you cannot 1) sing their fight song 2) know what "Dot the I" means and 3) recollect how many away games (outside state - regular season) they go on.  Does USF ever want to reach this level of excellence? Right now they are treating H.O.T. in a manner that they do not want this level of excellence. It is evident on how long it took for the new branding to finally make its way to the band compared to other football spirit squads that get new uniforms almost every year...

Who in Bulls Country is going to step up and start CONTRIBUTING instead of COMPLAINING about The Herd of Thunder?

I was wondering when you might jump in here...

He's right though... the conversation I had yesterday made me sick as to how HOT is being treated. All the info is open to the public as it's a state run University. Fact is HOT members are busting their collective asses week in and week out and between the athletics dept and the school of music they are being treated like an ebola outbreak. I thought that crap all stopped in high school... It's pathetic.

All I heard during the 2 away games was "is HOT comming??" and "wow we really needed HOT there". Now our first game back home and your ********??? Gimmie a break. These kids give a 10 hour day on game days and do it in a uniform that might send some of you to the hospital with heat exhaustion. They play by the rules and it's the same this year as last year as the year before that.

The athletic dept needs to stepup and support HOT like the rest of the universities in Florida do. I'm not saying match them dollar for dollar but atleast percentage wise... I understand that our budget isn't that of the big 3. I'm not going to say anymore on this so noone gets in any trouble but do the research and you'll find the info... the numbers will shock you.

• Content Count:  398

This entire thread made me want to cry.

Archived