• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

For those of you NOT there...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

What does being a Southerner have to do with it?

Alot, if you ask me.

I used to be at an SEC school, and traveled around to other SEC games. The fans talked trash, and would boo you. But I never felt physically threatened. Nor did I feel threatened at FAU. Mere coincidence that we were threatened MULTIPLE times by UCONN fans? I'm no statistician...but I'm going to say it was more than mere chance. It's a CULTURAL difference.

I will NEVER come back to the Northeast again. EVER.

Have you ever been to LSU?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  21
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry that you had a bad experience with some knucklehead UConn fans.  We have gotten better since the Rent opened (this was the first complaint we've heard in 5 home games), but it's obvious that we have a way to go still. 

About the game, you guys have some great players - Grothe is a warrior out there (but we already knew that).  The weather played to our advantage, but them's the breaks in outdoor sports.  Good luck the rest of the way this season and in your bowl game. 

• Content Count:  808

To the OP: I am sorry you and your wife had such a horrible experience at UConn. I don't think it's safe to generalize, though... but everyone is different I guess.

I think I can relate to how your wife felt. A couple of years ago I was assaulted by two Philadelphia Eagles fans at Dolphins stadium. They followed me into the women's bathroom and backed me into the corner, got in my face and spewed verbal and very degrading insults towards me and tried to touch my chest. They backed off when another woman came into the restroom and started yelling at them. I went to the game with my dad but was by myself when they approached me. It was humiliating for me and I will never forget it. I remember missing most of the game because I was so upset, confused, and angry that I couldn't bring myself to go back and sit with my dad to watch the game. To pour salt on the wounds, when our bus was leaving the stadium a mob (yes, an honest to God mob) tried to overturn our bus by rocking and shaking it while we were trying to drive off, spit on the windows, and were hurling insults at us.  If I remember correctly, the Eagles won that game... so it was a really terrible night overall. Actually, I'm getting physically upset thinking about it. As horrible an experience as I had, while I generally do say I hate Eagles fans because of that experience, I still can't bring myself to seriously generalize and judge all of their fans... but I can see where a few bad apples DO make an unfavorable impression on an entire fanbase. I personally will never EVER go to any Eagles game ever again because of my negative experience, and I don't blame you if you feel similar after your experience at UConn... your wife is very lucky that you were with her because I would hate to hear of a similar experience as to what I experienced.

Wow, that makes my experience look like we got treated to crumpets and coffee at the governors mansion. I'm glad you got out of that ok.

Some sports fans need to seriously reevaluate their perspective on life.

• Content Count:  2,363

Ok, I slept on it and the angry rage has worn off. I apologize to all Northeasterners for my emotionalistic, generalizing comments. I know better, I was very upset.

Growing up in the deep south (south Georgia), you are exposed from a very young age to terrible generalizations...be it about race, political party, or from which region of the US people come from.  Any rational person can see through that stuff, of course, but its really hard to shake those subconscious biases that are essentially engrained in your mind. When some "incidents" like last night occur, well...

I'm going to write this off as a fluke incident, but that said...I will probably still never come back to UCONN. Assuming that all fan bases have equal parts a-holes, then the fact that the UCONN parking lots are not lit or policed is enough to make us want to avoid it here.

And God help the next USF fan I see doing something like this.

No worries, bro. I think we were all a bit on edge after yesterday. Sorry you had that experience--glad you and your wife are safe, and Go Bulls.

• Content Count:  1

As a UConn fan I have to say I am extremely sorry and embarrassed by the poor treatment you recieved at the game on Saturday.  That is certainly not the normal and I'm sorry you had to find a few bad apples.  Unfortunately I have been unhappy with the behavior of some of our fans as well, it seems that alcohol rules the day and makes reasonable people turn into jerks.  I wish they didn't allow alcohol sales at all but because it is an off campus site they do what they want to make $$. 

The problem with parking is on going and always changing especially since they just put in that wonderful new hunting and fishing store right next to the stadium, what a joke. 

Wish I could change the experience you had, but I can't, just know that not all UConn fans are scabs like the ones you came across, maybe it has something to do with growing pains (this is all new to us, division 1-A football) and stupidity.

We really are good people in Connecticut but just like everywhere we have our idiots, please don't stay away forever.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I think its more of a Northern (pro) thing than a Southern (college) thing.  I'm a Northerner, originally from Philly, known for the worst fans around, and I would never do that stuff.  Most in the North are pro fans first and take it to horrible lengths on their visitors from other towns.  There definitely is more respect in the South between fans.  But there are places in the North where people have class, see PSU, Michigan and Notre Dame for examples.  Its really the teams with more histroy of winning that have class versus these schools like Rutgers or UConn or us to a certain degree.

Sorry you guys had problems.  USFan, are you kidding me with the flags?  Why didn't you store them away during the game?  You're asking for it keeping them flying at an away stadium.  We've had discussions about this before with FAU and RU.  I'm sure you'll learn from this, and I'm sure others will too.

Keep your flags in your car during the game!!!!    

• Content Count:  3,574

I am also surprised anyone would ever leave their car flags up before going into a game. That is road trip rule #1-- don't give the road dummies any idea that you are Bulls not there to defend the vehicle.

USFan, are you kidding me with the flags?  Why didn't you store them away during the game?  You're asking for it keeping them flying at an away stadium.  We've had discussions about this before with FAU and RU.  I'm sure you'll learn from this, and I'm sure others will too.

Keep your flags in your car during the game!!!!    

MikeG and JoeB…

You’re absolutely correct about not leaving the car flags up during an away game.

In fact, I said “$hit, I forgot to take my flags down†to my girlfriend about 7 times.  However, I was already inside the USF tailgate tent (which was about 2 miles from where I parked) and I sure wasn’t planning on walking back.  I was thinking positive… “I’m sure they’ll be fine… they were fine during the FAU game when I forgot to take them down.  Plus, who would do such a thing?â€Â

BUT… the flags were ripped before the game started.  I was the first one to leave from my row after the game and you couldn’t see anything in front of you.  The last thing you’re looking for are flags of the opposing team (you’re more concerned about finding your car by hitting your panic button).  Therefore, it wasn’t after the game.

What bothers me is that there were cars/fans in front of me and to my sides.  Wouldn’t you tell someone to stop what they’re doing… stop vandalizing the vehicle which is WRONG and illegal.  WVU fans left their flags up… UCFers left their flags up.  Were they up after the game?  Yes (at least the flags that were around me).

Let’s forget about the flags for a moment, because I might as well not wear green and gold to away games.  The verbal abuse and threats were just WAY too much.

Note to self:  Don’t ever wear green and gold to a game.  And make sure you rent a car when you’re at your next road game.  Awesome!

I washed the car today and did not notice any other damages… today was much better than yesterday AND my alma mater is still in the Top 25!

Homecoming is next week… see you there.

• Content Count:  85

I have been saying it for years, it's time for Florida to actually police it's Northern Border and stop all these filthy Yankee's from poluting our mother land.

Your stuck in the wrong century and if you knew anything about history you would know that the mother land is england and even in that the us started from the northeast expanding outword....That would make florida the son/grandsonland.  But hey i was raised in fl and i have no problem with that.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Anything like flags and car magnets are fair game.  Definitely a no no on road games.  I put my flags away when UCF came to town.  Too many horror stories about their fans behavior.  Better to be safe than sorry.  As far as colors go, you gotta support the team.  People might act like a-holes toards you, but most of the time its all talk.

• Content Count:  3,574

As far as colors go, you gotta support the team.  People might act like a-holes toards you, but most of the time its all talk.

I wish it was all talk... we didn't even feel safe until we were on the interstate.

Sad, but never again.

Archived