• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Boston Red Sox vs. Colorado Rockies

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  400
  • Days Won:  0

the red sox just buy success.. when you've got the 2nd highest payroll in MLB, that "underdog" culture is long gone.. you're just purchasing a bunch of mercenaries to get you to the postseason.

MLB as a whole messed up.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

How is it different than any other sport? Or any thing else in society?

If you're a great chemist, won't a drug company hire you?

If you're a Nobel Prize winning writer, won't Universities will spend a lot of money on you?

If you owned a business and knew that hiring someone will bring your company success, would you hire him?

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Would rather watch the UConn and Rutgers games back to back

• Content Count:  2,307

I hate the Red Sox!!

Just not Manny, Ortiz and my fellow Dominicans.

But as a whole?  I hate them!!

Bah!

Pathetic WS.  A sweep?  I bet not many people watched this series, it was boring.

• Content Count:  19,229

The red sox high payroll is for a few reason's

1)  The Yankees are in the same division and they spend spend spend.  If you want to compete with a team full of allstars, you pretty much have to follow suit.

2)  They have the money, because they have fans.

3)  The rules of baseball are setup to allow it, so if you have the money, you SHOULD do it, unless you think you really can compete for a title with a 20 milliion dollar payroll year in and year out.  The odds are stacked against that big time.  I praise what the Marlins have done up til now.  They are not the norm for low spending teams.

It would be pretty absurd for Boston to say... well, we don't want to spend money to compete because we don't like that the yankees have so much money and spend, so we'll just sit back and let them win.

Every team in the AL East spends!  except 1... and the results speak for themselves.

• Content Count:  873

If you're a Nobel Prize winning writer, won't Universities will spend a lot of money on you?

If you owned a business and knew that hiring someone will bring your company success, would you hire him?

How is that different than any other sport?  Are you kidding me?  The NFL is the best because a super rich owner like Jerry Jones can't go out and buy any free agent he wants.  Salary cap allows every team to have a decent shot in a few year period.  You don't have teams like the yank-mes winning for 12 straight years or whatever because they go and buy the best on the market.  NHL just went to a salary cap and you'll see different teams having success at different times.  But with stupid MLB, all you have to do to make the playoffs or at least be in contention is out bid the other owners that can't afford beckett, schilling, and matsusushi or whatever his freaking name is.  And the socks and yank-mes are the crap of MLB because they have the most money.

How is that different than any other sport?  Are you kidding me?  The NFL is the best because a super rich owner like Jerry Jones can't go out and buy any free agent he wants.  Salary cap allows every team to have a decent shot in a few year period.  You don't have teams like the yank-mes winning for 12 straight years or whatever because they go and buy the best on the market.  NHL just went to a salary cap and you'll see different teams having success at different times.  But with stupid MLB, all you have to do to make the playoffs or at least be in contention is out bid the other owners that can't afford beckett, schilling, and matsusushi or whatever his freaking name is.  And the socks and yank-mes are the crap of MLB because they have the most money.

Every team in baseball has a shot at winning the pennant or world series every year.

Nothing prevents the Devil Rays from calling up their ALL OF THEIR talent in the minors.

Nothing prevents the countless other teams from spending their own money to get talent.

Those teams CHOOSE to not care about their fans and not field a competitive team.

How can you blame the Yankees or the Sox for wanting to win? That's the point, to WIN!

• Content Count:  19,229

you play to win the game.  If the rules are setup so that paying money gets you a better chance, you do it.

The only reason a team wouldn't is because

1)  they are cheap

2)  they have no fans, thus can't afford to do it

3)  they don't really want to win a championship bad enough.

The rules are there... if your team isn't willing to spend, that doesn't mean others shouldn't. 

Salary cap would be better for parity... but that is moot since that isn't how the rules are.  You can't blame a team that is spending to win a championship when the rules are setup to do exactly that.

Well, you can blame them, but it would be pretty ignorant.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

You can't blame a team that is spending to win a championship when the rules are setup to do exactly that.

Can't blame them, but can sure hate them for doing it .....    8)

I think you should hate the teams that don't do it.

I've been a Red Sox fan since high school (1999) and have been a Rays supporter since I've moved to Tampa. I've been thinking about getting season tickets to the Rays... but, why? They don't want to win and I don't want to support a team that doesn't want to win. (by "they" I mean the front office).

The D-Rays have A LOT of young talent in the minors, but they don't (and probably won't) bring them up because they'll have to go into contract negotiation with them and start having to pay them Major (league) money.

Archived