• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I love when refs review unreviewable plays...

BJ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  139
  • Days Won:  0

This reminds me of Super Bowl 40 when the Steelers where handed the Trophy by the refs. But the #2 should not have needed close calls. We should have gotten more presure on the QB.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Eh disagree. After that blocked fg for a TD everything went sour. That ball was stripped.

THAT...is true...carry on.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

bottom line, every time we had momentum a flag came out.

the punt block TD that was called back was followed up by TWO MORE flags on the two following plays, which led to  a punt and Rutgers getting the ball back.

**** it.  we're still in the driver's seat in the BE.  WVU is strong... if we both win out, we take the league.

Guest Mr. AKA

The illegal forward pass call changed the momentum, but we had ample opportunities, we couldnt convert 3rd down and they did, questionable play calling towards the end, its only one loss, yes it hurts, but the season is far from over, on August 30th would anybody expected a shot at the national title? I said an Orange Bowl or Gator Bowl apperance would be great, that is still very attainable. We are undersized and quick, they dominated the o-line, I still cant wait for the next 5 games, correction next 6 games......

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

There were calls I did not agree with but we lost that game.  We handed to RU on a ******* silver platter and all credit to them, they took what we gave them.  Refs don't play the snaps.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

The illegal forward pass call changed the momentum, but we had ample opportunities, we couldnt convert 3rd down and they did, questionable play calling towards the end, its only one loss, yes it hurts, but the season is far from over, on August 30th would anybody expected a shot at the national title? I said an Orange Bowl or Gator Bowl apperance would be great, that is still very attainable. We are undersized and quick, they dominated the o-line, I still cant wait for the next 5 games, correction next 6 games......

again, the two consecutive flags AFTER the punt block TD took those "ample opportunities" away.

instead of a shot at a FG or even a TD to go into the half up by 2 scores, we were backed up behind midfield by the vast array of penalties and forced to punt...  which resulted in Rutgers cutting it down to 4.

HUUUUUUUUGE difference between going into halftime up by two scores, and only up by 4.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I am never one to give an excuse... and I don't think giving us that TD does it lead to a win for us (although, we'll never know).... but, anyone watching that game could clearly see that the refs were a bit crazy with the flags tonight.

• Content Count:  4,738

I am never one to give an excuse... and I don't think giving us that TD does it lead to a win for us (although, we'll never know).... but, anyone watching that game could clearly see that the refs were a bit crazy with the flags tonight.

That TD puts us up by two touchdowns and forces Rutgers to possibly go away from Rice a little bit.  To me it just seems the refs made a judgement call that since the ball bounced the right way for USF they must've been pitching it to each other.  That second fumble the defender hits both arms.  It's too bad(for us) Schiano has his mouth on the refs ear half way on the field before any of the plays are over.

Way too many flags.  Obviously some of them were mental errors, but this crew had itchy trigger fingers.  Nobody tuned it to watch the refs play.  That being said we shouldn't have put ourselves in that position.  To many mental errors and good adjustments by Rutgers to keep Grothe and our O-Coord guessing. 

Time to Finish Strong.  Champions will bounce back and make a statement.

• Content Count:  164

i still dont get why that punt fumble that was returned for a td was nixed

It wasn't a fumble.  Its a muff.  In order for a punt to be fumbled (kickoff as well) you have to catch the ball and have control of it.  Brown never did, therefore, it was a muff and a muff cannot be returned.  Play is dead upon recovery. 

I just don't get football rules sometimes. If one of the receiving team blockers accidentally gets hit by the punted ball, the ball is live and we can do whatever we want with it. However, when it hits the person catching it and they can't hold on to it, it's not live anymore? I suspect I'm missing something in the interpretation here since that makes no sense.

• Content Count:  4,738

i still dont get why that punt fumble that was returned for a td was nixed

It wasn't a fumble.  Its a muff.  In order for a punt to be fumbled (kickoff as well) you have to catch the ball and have control of it.  Brown never did, therefore, it was a muff and a muff cannot be returned.  Play is dead upon recovery. 

I just don't get football rules sometimes. If one of the receiving team blockers accidentally gets hit by the punted ball, the ball is live and we can do whatever we want with it. However, when it hits the person catching it and they can't hold on to it, it's not live anymore? I suspect I'm missing something in the interpretation here since that makes no sense.

If it hits the ground its live.  Just a quirky rule that almost never happens.  Can you think of the last time you saw a player muff a punt and the defense catch it in the air?

Archived