• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF Safety Question

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,640
  • Days Won:  6

I haven't seen this brought up anywhere.  Just before the UCF safety, they downed the punt inside the one yard line.  I was looking right at the goal line from my seats and I thought the UCF guy caught the punt with one foot in the endzone meaning it should have been a touchback and placed at the 20.  A few of us immediately said that it would be reviewed because he was obviously in the endzone when he downed the punt, but it wasn't.  Anyone else notice this?

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,219
  • Days Won:  0

I thought I saw that too.  I don’t think ESPNU showed a replay, announcers did not comment only to say great play and it made me doubt my understanding of the rule book.

• Content Count:  1,212

It was obvious to me, and those in the south end zone, that it was a blown call.

Actually, it was the correct call.

In college, the BALL has to break the plane of the endzone... the player can be standing anywhere as long as the ball doesn't break the plane, it's good.  In fact, as soon as it breaks the plane, it's a touchback - automatically.

Only in the NFL does the player also have to be outside the endzone.  But if the ball rolls into the endzone, it's not dead automatically.  The returning team could technically return it from the end zone.  The Rams did this in 1994, setting the record for the longest punt return - at 103 yards.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Actually, it was the correct call.

In college, the BALL has to break the plane of the endzone... the player can be standing anywhere as long as the ball doesn't break the plane, it's good.  In fact, as soon as it breaks the plane, it's a touchback - automatically.

Only in the NFL does the player also have to be outside the endzone.  But if the ball rolls into the endzone, it's not dead automatically.  The returning team could technically return it from the end zone.  The Rams did this in 1994, setting the record for the longest punt return - at 103 yards.

it was a blown call jim http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Content Count:  98

It was the correct call. As long as the ball doesn't cross the plane you can be in the endzone.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

No... Jim is correct!!!.  The rule in college football is the ball must break the plane of the endzone.  The player was standing in the endzone, but the ball never broke the plane.    if you are trying to compare the call to last week's attempt of trying to down the ball, that call was correct too.  The player, Trae I think, touched the end zone and would have been fine, but the ball touched the line before being downed.

The ref's call was correct.  The playcalling in handing off there was a bit questionable though.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,640
  • Days Won:  6

Thanks guys.  I never knew there was a difference here between college and the pros.

Rule 6. Kicks

SECTION 3. Scrimmage Kicks

Touching Ground On or Behind Goal Line

ARTICLE 9. The ball becomes dead and belongs to the team defending

its goal line when a scrimmage kick that has crossed the neutral zone is

subsequently untouched by Team B before touching the ground on or behind

Team B’s goal line (Rule 8-4-2-B) (A.R. 6-3-9-I-III and A.R. 8-4-2-IV).

Loose Behind the Goal Line

ARTICLE 11. If a Team A player bats a scrimmage kick in Team B’s end

zone that was untouched by Team B after the kick crossed the neutral zone,

it is a violation. Team B may elect a touchback when the ball is declared

dead (A.R. 6-3-11-I). VIOLATIONâ€â€Touchback [s16 and S7] (Exception:

Rule 8-4-2-B) (A.R. 2-11-1-I).

(Team A = Kicking team, Team B = Receiving team).

Archived