• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN: If you want a playoff system, root for South Florida

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

nice press.....

If we win the National Title they can do what ever they want in the future.

I just want my USF 2008 National Champions shirt, hat, doormat, cup, coffee mug, framed photo, screensavers, watch, heck you get the point.

What no tattoo? If they win my previous;y un-tatted body is getting some iconic horns, perhaps right between the eyes . . . . . nah but a nice NATIONAL CHAMPIONS 2008 "U" on the arm is assured.

If that were to happen, i'm in for a tattoo as well and I really dislike tattoos :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

I think a playoff would make things even harder for a non-power team to win the title. Do you really think Boise State could have won a football tournament? Really, they were outplayed by Oklahoma in the second half but they got one lucky trick play. Then in overtime Oklahoma scored on the first play, then Boise State had another trick play work, realized their luck would run out soon, went for 2 and another trick play won it. I'm sorry but Boise State would not have been able to pull that off a couple of more times.

These bigger teams have more depth, and lets face it a tournament would take it's toll on a lot of players so a team with more depth would have a huge advantage because they would rest guys during the games and still not fall off too much. In this system we have now it really isn't as hard as it seems to make a title game.

I bet you if Boise State went and played at Ohio State, at USC, at Oklahoma, and at Georgia in their non-conference schedule, won all 4 and then walloped all of their WAC opponents they would make the national title game. The problem is that these smaller conference schools schedules just don't stack up. Do you seriously believe if Boise State played those 4 non-conference games last year they still would have been unbeaten at the end of the regular season?

USF should not be compared to Boise State, TCU, Hawaii, Utah. We're a major conference school who has played a tough non-conference game at Auburn, and knocked off a West Virginia team ranked #5 at the time. We have actually navigated one of the nations toughest schedules, unfortunately that game at Elon hurts our schedule ranking a little bit. If we make it we deserve to make it, we have depth. We're not a mid-major team.

• Content Count:  261

Jemele Hill is one of the worst writers I've come across. She's the same writer who said Kobe was better than Jordan after Kobe dropped 81 points on the Raptors.

• Content Count:  1,260

Nice to get the pub...but just a couple of things....

I take exception to the term "crash the BCS" party....last I checked the Big East was a member of the BCS so it's not really "crashing" when the league champion makes the big game.

As well...how is the gap between USF and the "bigtime" programs the same as App State/Stanford? Stanford had been a doormat out in the Pac Ten and App State was a Div 1-aa school when they pulled off "upsets". We were an 8-4 last year and in bowls the last 2 years....it might be a surprise that we're still undefeated...but alot of analysts liked our chances going into both the WVU and Auburn games so the comparison just doesn't work.

The main point isn't that we're crashing or a team "out of the blue"...it's that traditionalists take a long time to warm up to "rising" programs. Just remember that schools such as Miami and FSU took a long time in becoming "accepted". We need to string together several successful years before we eliminate the bias....this is just a start.

• Content Count:  21,010
  • Days Won:  38

I take exception to the term "crash the BCS" party....last I checked the Big East was a member of the BCS so it's not really "crashing" when the league champion makes the big game.

That's what I am saying.  What a crock.  When the precious darling USC is losing to Stanford...  Hmm, maybe a little more open-minded thinking is in order?

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I much prefer the BCS system to a playoff.  Why, to KEEP THE NON BCS TEAMS AND LEAGUES DOWN.  That's why.  Why on earth would we want to level the playing field with the C-DOA's of the world when we just made it out of that league.  Go to a plus one format, if a playoff is needed, using the current BCS bowl structure.  Take 2 BCS bowls and put 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 and play the NC game a week later. 

• Content Count:  3,403

I much prefer the BCS system to a playoff.  Why, to KEEP THE NON BCS TEAMS AND LEAGUES DOWN.  That's why.  Why on earth would we want to level the playing field with the C-DOA's of the world when we just made it out of that league.  Go to a plus one format, if a playoff is needed, using the current BCS bowl structure.  Take 2 BCS bowls and put 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 and play the NC game a week later. 

Ok, then go to a plus 3 so 8 teams are in it.  That's the playoff scenario that most people want.  You play the 4 main bowl games (Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange) and then 3 more games.  Simple.  That doesn't change the status of the non-BCS conferences at all, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

• Content Count:  997

I think a playoff would make things even harder for a non-power team to win the title. Do you really think Boise State could have won a football tournament? Really, they were outplayed by Oklahoma in the second half but they got one lucky trick play. Then in overtime Oklahoma scored on the first play, then Boise State had another trick play work, realized their luck would run out soon, went for 2 and another trick play won it. I'm sorry but Boise State would not have been able to pull that off a couple of more times.

These bigger teams have more depth, and lets face it a tournament would take it's toll on a lot of players so a team with more depth would have a huge advantage because they would rest guys during the games and still not fall off too much. In this system we have now it really isn't as hard as it seems to make a title game.

Well the lost anyway and never got a chance to see if they could run the table. The logic here shouldn't be well they couldn't so they lose automatically. Its America man and every team deserves a chance to win or lose on their own merit, not on someones opinion.

It is absurd to have a sporting event that culminates in a vote. This is not figure skating but unfortunately there are nothing but biased judges. Can you imagine crowning an NFL team on a vote? Why not just put the teams up on ARE YOU HOT and put Paris Hilton in charge? The corrupt school Presidents are top blame. It takes the pressure off them to succeed, hell any bowl is great right? They pocket the cash and leave us mired in mediocrity, smiling all the way. The process is exclusive and down right un-American and I despise it. PLAYOFFS OR DEATH!! (Unless the Bulls win a National Title then its all good with me : ) )

BTW: The hypocrisies of those of you who tout BCS conferences and try and keep non-BCS schools down is almost disgusting. Remember being 9-2 and getting screwed by the system? I guess the last one on the life boat should stomp the next guys head but thats not my style, it sucks.

• Content Count:  19,229

That is exactly the logic that is currently keeping us down compared to OSU/BC/etc.

(or trying to keep us down, not sure if it will succeed).

Archived