• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2 new commits.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

naplesnews.com

Golden Gate standout defensive end Mains makes commitment to USF

By Nick Krueger contact

Originally published — 10:45 p.m., October 8, 2007

Updated — 1:18 a.m., October 9, 2007

When Anthony Mains showed up to play football for Golden Gate High School almost four years ago, he was somewhat of an anomaly.

Sure, he was tall – 6-foot-7 to be exact, but he's also pretty thin at less than 200 pounds.

So the coaching staff tinkered with him, and his freshman year they tried him out at tight end. By his sophomore year on the junior varsity team, he was playing quarterback.

Mains has become one of the top defensive players in the area. And he's decided where he's going to play college football, making a verbal commitment to the University of South Florida.

"When he came out as a freshman, he was just a tall, skinny, uncoordinated kid," Titans head coach Dave Tanner said. "He was more of a basketball player, and we didn't know where to play him for a while."

Mains' decision to play for the Bulls couldn't have come at a better time, as the 12th-year program has broken into the top five in the national rankings and has already notched wins against teams like Auburn and West Virginia.

Not bad for a kid who just two seasons ago only had any high school experience playing on the offensive side of the ball.

"I found out pretty quick that I like delivering the hits a whole lot more than I like taking them," said Mains, who had nine sacks last year.

Mains' hits garnered the interest of schools like West Virginia, Louisville, Stanford, and Central Florida . His decision eventually came down to Wisconsin and South Florida .

His visit to Tampa made his decision much easier.

"Well obviously they're a rising program," he said. "But when I was in their locker room, it just felt like home – their players joke around like we do, they have a great coaching staff, and awesome facilities.

"One of the big-time factors was I have never played in cold weather like they have in Wisconsin. I am used to the heat and humidity in Florida."

Throw in to play the fact that Mains was born and raised in Naples, having the opportunity to play his college ball in Tampa became a very attractive option.

Although, with the way South Florida is playing football lately, Mains' family might even have some trouble getting decent tickets to Raymond James Stadium to watch their son play – and he will be given the chance to play.

"I was just thinking about that today," Mains said of the Bulls' success so far this season. "We just need a couple of the right teams to lose … The guys are only talking about winning the Big East, but you know they are thinking national championship."

After talking to the coaching staff, there is an outside chance Mains might get significant playing time next year – so long as he puts on at least 20 pounds of muscle.

That might not happen, but the hope is to move him out to left end, much more of a run-stopping position, rather than rushing the passer every down as he has been doing this season for the Titans. However, his versatility makes Tanner think that he should be able to be successful at whatever role the coaches have for him on the defensive front.

"He runs so well and he really is a student of the game," he said. "When teams are blocking him one way, he figures it out and reacts pretty well to the ball."

Mains will officially sign a letter of intent in February, and is Golden Gate's second commitment so far this season. Defensive back Peter St. Fort committed to Indiana University prior to the start of the season.

The commitments have brought attention to Golden Gate, but Tanner and Mains think they represent something greater than just individual achievement.

"It's catchy for the younger guys to see something like this, but it's what ends up building a program," the head coach said. "This is a team game, and these kids are doing better because they play well as a group."

Mains agrees, and foresees his commitment as the latest step forward for the Golden Gate program.

"That just gives the younger guys something to look forward to when they are upperclassmen," he said. "You don't hear about Golden Gate quite as much as some of the other teams here, and we're going to be here to give the younger players someone to look up to."

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

SWEET!  Although stars really don't matter, I have to ask, how many?

• Content Count:  1,457

More fellows to come from the Lakeland and Sarasota/Bradenton area also.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

SWEET!  Although stars really don't matter, I have to ask, how many?

Three

• Content Count:  1,260

I like how he said "We only need a couple of teams to lose".... Nice....

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Only problem I can see is we only have like 5 or 6 schollies left. Not a bad problem...but a problem none the less.

• Content Count:  403

Does West Virginia recruit from anywhere other than Florida?  Geez, everytime I see one of our prospects, it always says that WV was interested in him too...  I'm tired of seeing their name everywhere.

• Content Count:  2,052

That's because our kids in Florida actually do not have an affinity for chewing tobacco and major non working appliances in the front yard. ;D The real reason is our kids play football buddy! BIG TIME FOOTBALL!!!  Reaper

• Content Count:  2,523

Only problem I can see is we only have like 5 or 6 schollies left. Not a bad problem...but a problem none the less.

My only concern is we may be "settling" and thus taking ourselves out of the running for some really talented guys who weren't looking at us before this serious run started. 

Trust me, if we end up an a big BCS game, it will open doors for some very good local hs recruits. 

I'm not sold on stars being the only indicator, but I'd be more willing to bet on 10 five star guys over 10 two star guys any day of the week.

Until signing day however, things can change I guess.  If we get a 4 or 5 star recruit in a position where we have a 2 star guy, chances are the 2 star guy goes somewhere else.

Archived