• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Vegas opens at USF -14

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

I never really understood point spreads. Is there a website I can go to to understand more?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

NEVER bet on your own team.

• Content Count:  1,165

I never really understood point spreads. Is there a website I can go to to understand more?

Don't have a website for you, but in this instance, USF -14 would basically mean that if you place your bet for USF, USF has to win by MORE THAN 14 for you to win.  If you bet USF and USF wins, say 34-24, you lose the bet.  Likewise, UCF +14 would mean that if you bet UCF, they have to win, or lose by LESS THAN 14, for you to win the bet.  Therefore, you would win if the score was USF 34-24 if you bet UCF.

That being said, I would take UCF +14 happily, but there's no way I'd bet against the Bulls.  Conflict of interests FTL

• Content Count:  635

basically when USF is -14, it means USF is favored to win by 14 points. so, if USF wins by 15, they cover the spread, meaning you win the bet if you took USF -14. if USF wins by less than 14, or flat out loses, then you would lose the bet if you took USF -14, or you would win if you took UCF +14. now, if USF wins by exactly 14 points, then you will be arrested by the FBI and never see your family again! so it's a very tough bet to make.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

USF should cover the points.  ECU just beat them by 14, after getting blown out by WVU.

• Content Count:  73

USF should cover the points.  ECU just beat them by 14, after getting blown out by WVU.

Unfortunately this brand of logic does not hold water.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Why not.  Do you think ECU is better than us.  If ECU can beat them by 14 at home, then we "should" (did not say would) beat them by 14 at home.

• Content Count:  498

cant bet on the bulls, to inconsistent, they could handle UCF like they did UNC or there could be another FAU stinker, but I doubt two bad performances in row.  What I would bet on though is if we are up comfortable in the 2nd half, 3 or more scores most starters will be out due to short rest until rutgers.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I would avoid betting on this game. THe loss to ECU really tells me nothing and we have had some trouble pulling away from opponents this year. Too risky.

I think we can cover-- but why risk it when any win gets us bowl eligible and undefeated heading into our remaining 6 conference games?

now the over/under may be a different story depending on the number.

• Content Count:  73

Why not.  Do you think ECU is better than us.  If ECU can beat them by 14 at home, then we "should" (did not say would) beat them by 14 at home.

You are right about about the usage of "should".  However, because of the way teams match up, injuries, who's field its played at, the amount the team is hyped up, etc, etc. leads me to think the comparison you made really does not hold water.

Now if you want to say they "should" win by 14 because that is where the line is at then it might have some merit...but I am not too fond about the "who beat who" approach at justifying who would win in the next game...just too many differences that are not accounted for.

P.S. By applying that type of logic, by all accounts WVU "should" have beat us last year.  But it does appear that we match up well against them as last years and this years game proved. 

Anyway...

Archived