• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Impact on recruiting might be NONE

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

My point is that if we aren't targeting any different than we have in the past, then we cannot expect to see an impact.  If anything, i'd say that we are targeting LESS higher profile recruits than in previous years.  I've always felt that Leavitt does a great job taking what is left after the elite teams take their share, identifying the gems amongst them, and getting them here.  However, we need to capitalize on our newly found popularity, and we cannot do that if we aren't targeting the top recruits.

Mike... those recruiting lists are lists of people that have come out and specify that USF has interest in them during a conversation with a recruiting reporter.

Those lists are never fully complete or 100% accurate...

and this will help JL and co get their foot in the door a few more times. 

This WILL have an impact, now and in the future.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

My point is that if we aren't targeting any different than we have in the past, then we cannot expect to see an impact.  If anything, i'd say that we are targeting LESS higher profile recruits than in previous years.  I've always felt that Leavitt does a great job taking what is left after the elite teams take their share, identifying the gems amongst them, and getting them here.  However, we need to capitalize on our newly found popularity, and we cannot do that if we aren't targeting the top recruits.

Mike... those recruiting lists are lists of people that have come out and specify that USF has interest in them during a conversation with a recruiting reporter.

Those lists are never fully complete or 100% accurate...

and this will help JL and co get their foot in the door a few more times. 

This WILL have an impact, now and in the future.

I know, but that also means that as of now, none of those high profile recruits are talking about us...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  155

exactly-- it isn't that USF hasn't offered the greatest players (ranking wise)-- but that pursuing them further than getting a flat no or a no thanks is a waste of effort. Does it mean we don't keep trying? nah-- it just means we try again but understand that getting some of those who aren't so high may become as good if not better than someone who peaked in HS

• Content Count:  136
  • Days Won:  0

Start marching them onto our sideline for a home game... Experience that atmosphere and they'll have something to think about...

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

If we keep winning, we can recruit the same athletes and they will suddenly become 1-star better because they signed with us. The "star" system is totally based on who is recruiting. Once we become an elite program, we could sign a punter as a defensive tackle, and they wouldn't be below 3 stars.

Don't fall into the star trap. Leavitt knows what he is looking for, and it doesn't matter how they are rated.

Selvie only had one D-1A offer. I think he was a 1-star recruit. I hope we can keep finding guys like that under the radar.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  155

If we keep winning, we can recruit the same athletes and they will suddenly become 1-star better because they signed with us. The "star" system is totally based on who is recruiting. Once we become an elite program, we could sign a punter as a defensive tackle, and they wouldn't be below 3 stars.

Don't fall into the star trap. Leavitt knows what he is looking for, and it doesn't matter how they are rated.

Selvie only had one D-1A offer. I think he was a 1-star recruit. I hope we can keep finding guys like that under the radar.

Rivals listed Selvie as a two star recruit

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

As I was reading this thread I was thinking the exact same thing. Every year, Tennessee seems like it has a top 5 recruiting class....yet what has that proved?

• Content Count:  1,911

You may want to reconsider your source of recruiting information.

• Content Count:  993

4 and 5 Star rivals recruits arent the only measure of recruiting success.    the internet has destroyed the art of recruiting, which is going out, watching a ton of tape and finding good players.  and the other part of that is important is keeping a lot of the two and three stars from going out of state.  that is probably going to be where we see the success of this years team paying off in recruiting this year. 

selvie, robinson, allen, murphy, gachette, t williams, st louis and on and on and on were two star guys. 

Archived