• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Beef Studs/Auburn Trip

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I dunno, I have kind of a sour taste in my mouth about the beef studs after what I witnessed at a few games last year, which was sad to me because I really liked the organization a few years ago when Brandon was in charge. They just seemed to change a bit after he left.

Thanks BJ, I miss those days too. BJ what have you been up to!? Long time no see. Shoot, I don't even visit USFBS very much anymore (blasphemy, if I was saying that in 2004!).

I'd rather have the Beef Studs on campus than not at all. Hell, I even tried to join last year but everything was so disorganized that I gave up.

Hey man, now's a good time to check it out! Their new president, Mike Ugi, has been busting rear to get the group very organized and totally in line. They send out E-mails every day about sporting events on campus and making sure someone is at all of them.

Here's  my solution to the problem.....

FAZA must come back to USF!!!  No arguments Brandon, just get back here and enroll.   ;)

Eric

Eric, I couldn't argue against you if I wanted to, and there's no way I'd ever want to! Your solution made me smile. Hopefully, in under two years, I'll be back for residency, and things like season tickets and donations and being back at the best university in the nation with all the people I miss will fall into place. I do think it would be rather hilarious if I was roaming TGH by day, painting green and gold by night.... and it'll definitely be a change attending Bulls Club meetings instead of Student Bulls Club meetings, but I'm still going to wear my throwback polo with the goat logo and Student Athletic Association on it every once in a while  :) Unless residents are considered students... that would be awesome... free tickets again!!!

If you want the truth from the source, here I go.

In the general allocation for the 2007/2008 school year, the Beef Studs were allocated monies to travel to Auburn. It was our hopes to help in subsidizing a block of 5 rooms for 2 nights in Opelika for members of not only the Beef Studs, but other organizations to attend as well. I met with leadership of the Beef Studs and other registered student organizations in trying to best facilitate this. We saw that we were allocated nearly $2,400 in the general allocation process. So what better way to help get more students up to Auburn than pay for a larger portion of the hotel rooms. That was the mindset behind the transfer request that was written. It followed all guidelines and was approved by the student comptroller.

In the committee, I presented the request to the members and they were the ones who had the final say if the transfer was to be processed or not. All of the members agreed and I placed my initials on the document and proceeded with numerous other tranasfer requests as well as setting other budgets for other student organizations.

If you would like to ask me any other questions on why items passes and what not, then feel free to do so via pm.

Matt.

Matt, it sounds like ASRC and Senate approved the Beef Studs travel money over the summer. Well, that changes the entire story, and you're right Ruger7, this was totally negative, shoddy reporting by the Oracle. The article makes it seem as though Matt acted on his own, illegally, and wanted to suddenly fund a trip that was never approved to begin with. This is obviously not the case, and in fact, OTHER organizations were going to benefit from it and send students to Auburn on SG money too! So I was wrong, this may have ALSO been a slight against the Beef Studs, since they were the only organization mentioned. I'm certain Matt would have told them the whole story, and they decided to pick and choose what to report. I know, because it used to happen to me ALL THE TIME.

Matt, I apologize for writing before that "I think Matt was acting more unilaterally on this one. I don't want to rub any wounds or anything if he happens to read this message board, but I think he knows that the situation wasn't handled well." Of course, I wasn't attacking you, just offering that according to everything that has been written, there were some procedural errors. Even if that was true, I talked about how this was more of a political atmosphere thing, that they went after you, not your fault. And you know I have nothing but respect for you. However, that sounds like it was false that there were errors. This concerns me a lot, because I used to feel that Dave Armstrong could be far too fiscally conservative with certain endeavors, and I could counter his argument that one organization's students shouldn't be allowed a trip to Auburn over all USF students with the statement that A) ASRC approved it over the summer, and he would have had the chance to sway their opinion AND vote on it, B) The SENATE voted to pass the budget bill, at which time he could have requested the amendment to strike that travel allocation, C) Numerous other organizations get SG money for purely social functions that the rest of the University's students don't attend, and D) He violated SG Statutes by denying ALL SG money to the Beef Studs organization, because they were legally and fairly allocated $2,400 through ASRC. He legally could only have denied the transfer. It also means he denied several organizations' students money from the transfer, and his argument that "only one organization's students would benefit" was wrong.

In light of your side of the story, I'm incensed. We should talk over PM or Facebook. If there was wrongdoing in pressuring you to step down, in refusing budgetary access to organizations, or unilateral actions outside of an individual's job duties, I think it's high time to stir the pot in the other direction. And, there's no way for you or anyone on here to know what I'm referring to by this, but there's nobody better at stirring the pot than yours truly  ;)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

I personally have no issue in doing such an action Faza... my only fear is that actions that I might take against SGAS and Armstrong [student Government Administrative Services] will not only come back in a negative manner upon myself [holding transcripts] but to any such endeavors that the Beef Studs would like to pursue with A&S monies.

And honestly Faza... when reading only one side of the story, you only know that much. I choose not to judge people until I know both sides of the issue. That is what should have occurred in the news paper, but that is the Oracle for ya!

I personally have no issue in doing such an action Faza... my only fear is that actions that I might take against SGAS and Armstrong [student Government Administrative Services] will not only come back in a negative manner upon myself [holding transcripts] but to any such endeavors that the Beef Studs would like to pursue with A&S monies.

You don't need to be the one to take any actions. I understand your concerns, however, there was blatant misadventure on the part of Mr. Armstrong, according to what I've heard so far. In addition, I am disappointed that other Senators would have participated in this negative, unnecessary publicity. I'm going to contact Nathan Davison; he and I go way back, and I'll contact Dave; he and I also go way back. Maybe they'll have yet another spin to add, maybe not. I think there is definitely some pot-stirring on the horizon....

• Content Count:  1,165

I dunno, I have kind of a sour taste in my mouth about the beef studs after what I witnessed at a few games last year, which was sad to me because I really liked the organization a few years ago when Brandon was in charge. They just seemed to change a bit after he left.

Thanks BJ, I miss those days too. BJ what have you been up to!? Long time no see. Shoot, I don't even visit USFBS very much anymore (blasphemy, if I was saying that in 2004!).

Yea, I very very rarely visit USFBS anymore (maybe twice in the past year  :-X ), maybe I should go there more often.

Besides that, just been busy with work and school; I'm sure you know the drill.  You going to be in town for the WVU game (of course you are)?

• Content Count:  1,803

In the beef studs meetings it is specified...limit cussing, especially around children, and to carry yourself with the utmost integrity when dressed, and I don't know of any other group with as much school spirit and a better track record of attending all USF sporting events (not just football.) Beef Studs= one of the best things going for USF athletics fan support period. We had sooo many compliments from Auburn fans, even a few AU fans wished that they had a group with as much spirit as the studs.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

blah blah blah

Hey remember that time you plagiarized your SG president campaign logo from a golf course in, what was it, Kentucky? Was that before or after we found out the supervisor of that SG election was your soon-to-be roommate? You have no credibility when it comes to honesty and openness.

• Content Count:  771

You don't need to be the one to take any actions. I understand your concerns, however, there was blatant misadventure on the part of Mr. Armstrong, according to what I've heard so far. In addition, I am disappointed that other Senators would have participated in this negative, unnecessary publicity. I'm going to contact Nathan Davison; he and I go way back, and I'll contact Dave; he and I also go way back. Maybe they'll have yet another spin to add, maybe not. I think there is definitely some pot-stirring on the horizon....

I would rather let this die Faza.

The Beef Studs have successfully sought external funding for materials and travel funds. On Thursday afternoon, I am sealing a deal with Collegiate Hall to provide us materials [paint/skirts/horns] and in return we assist them in handing out freebies at the games. We are pursuing to become a not for profit  organization, separate from USF, but to benefit USF Athletics/Homecoming/and other events to promote school spirit as a whole. Once we separate ourselves from the university as a student organization, we then can accept donations from adult beverage companies as well as use their logo on promotions as well. We are currently setting up a private checking account in order to start to facilitate donations as they come in.

Yea, I very very rarely visit USFBS anymore (maybe twice in the past year  :-X ), maybe I should go there more often.

Besides that, just been busy with work and school; I'm sure you know the drill.  You going to be in town for the WVU game (of course you are)?

Yeah buddy! I couldn't miss that one if it meant selling a kidney to make it!!

Hey remember that time you plagiarized your SG president campaign logo from a golf course in, what was it, Kentucky? Was that before or after we found out the supervisor of that SG election was your soon-to-be roommate? You have no credibility when it comes to honesty and openness.

A cheeky one, you are? Haha, remember when the Oracle slammed me without properly researching thier story? Yeah, that time JP and I made a campaign logo out of a piece of free clip art from an internet site that offered free clip art that also happened to be service-marked (SM) only in the state of Kentucky for some golf course in Kentucky? It sure was nice to have broken no rules and to suffer a ton of negative publicity anyway.

That was decidedly long after my DORMITORY-mate decided to apply for Supervisor of Elections. It is possible that two people can live in the same dorm without conspiring for each other - as evidenced by the fact that Frank Harrison and Julie Baumann ran Maxon Victor's campaign while living in that same dorm as I, while I was running mine. The dorm, known as the Leadership House, is often prominent every year in producing a lot of campus leaders.

Two more EXCELLENT examples of the Oracle expressing political opinion in poor form to the unwarranted detriment of others (which is often to negatively portray any SG candidate or activities, except for a few bright, shining, good-hearted journalists that have worked there).

While I'm not quite sure how you intended to justify that your statement was relevant to our musings, it turned out to be quite more relevant than you could have hoped; to illustrate our targeting of the Oracle for poor journalism. Who are you, anyway?

I would rather let this die Faza.

The Beef Studs have successfully sought external funding for materials and travel funds. On Thursday afternoon, I am sealing a deal with Collegiate Hall to provide us materials [paint/skirts/horns] and in return we assist them in handing out freebies at the games. We are pursuing to become a not for profit organization, separate from USF, but to benefit USF Athletics/Homecoming/and other events to promote school spirit as a whole. Once we separate ourselves from the university as a student organization, we then can accept donations from adult beverage companies as well as use their logo on promotions as well. We are currently setting up a private checking account in order to start to facilitate donations as they come in.

Hmmm.... it still bothers me that other student organizations might suffer the same fate, and that other students might have to go through what you went through for no good reason.

• Content Count:  478

Brandon:

I personally think you should check up on what happened. I am 100% for alumni involvement in their former student organizations. It shows the administration that we care and I think its safe to say that you are a future donor as well. :)

This is our university and we - as alums - need to sometimes follow up to make sure that things are running accordingly. I hate to say it - but you can't trust the admin sometimes. People make mistakes, they fall to pressure, they make biased decisions, etc. Just because the Oracle and Dave say one thing - doesn't mean we shouldn't ask questions. If people know that alumni are still involved - they will be less apt to think that they can pull a fast one on some 18 and 19 yr old kids - or get away with shoddy journalism. As you will recall - I too was a "victim" of shoddy reporting and administrative screw ups as were others.

and btw- can I call you Dr Beef Stud? :)

facebook or PM me and let me know how you are doing!

• Content Count:  545

In the beef studs meetings it is specified...limit cussing, especially around children, and to carry yourself with the utmost integrity when dressed, and I don't know of any other group with as much school spirit and a better track record of attending all USF sporting events (not just football.) Beef Studs= one of the best things going for USF athletics fan support period. We had sooo many compliments from Auburn fans, even a few AU fans wished that they had a group with as much spirit as the studs.

Ok as a 3 year member of Student Bulls Club and now the President I have to speak up about that statement.  To say that no other group has as much school spirit as you guys is insane.  SBC is full of DONORS to the University of South Florida Athletic Department.  That being said, before this year, I had not seen any beef studs at soccer (other then the Stetson game last year), volleyball, softball, and very limited baseball games while SBC members are at at the very least one game for each sport a season and most of the time more. 

I gave props to the Beef Studs earlier in this thread because of the spirit they had at volleyball and soccer against UCF and I was happy to see it.  I hope that this continues because obviously the more fans with school spirit the better.

Please understand that I am not saying that SBC has more school spirit then the Beef Studs or any other organization or individual student at USF but I think it is wrong to disrespect everyone by saying you have the most school spirit.  This post is also not to bash the beef studs as they don't deserve that but I believe that the post was not completely accurate.

Hope to see all of you at Soccer on Friday night as well as football on Saturday!

GO BULLS!

Archived