• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the Eagle flight was pretty kick butt-- however...

MikeG

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

did you know that the real mascot is a Golden Eagle (you know--- like Southern Miss)

here is the explanation of why they had a Bald Eagle for our game....

It's my understanding that the people at the Raptor Center prefer to fly Spirit, the Bald eagle, early in the season because Bald Eagles are better suited to warm weather. The training of these birds starts way before the start of the football season when it is sure nuff hot.

Personally I also prefer the Golden Eagle, but I am proud that we have the Raptor Center at Auburn and that the eagles do fly.

War Eagle VII is out mascot. He is a Golden Eagle named Nova and took over for Tiger, War Eagle VI, last year. The Bald Eagle, Spirit, is sometimes the designated flier.

all the same-- that sent chills down my spine. If we could just get a Bull that could fly--- or maybe perform a simple gallop (some Rutgers rodeo clowns could manage it perhaps.

nah-- seems like a stretch--- but that was very cool to see in person

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Speaking of, there are 4 or 5 pictures of the whole War Eagle eagle thing in MikeG's gallery.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

I talked to Bigshoop after the game and he was very upset that they did not use the right "gold"en eagle ;D

did you know that the real mascot is a Golden Eagle (you know--- like Southern Miss)

here is the explanation of why they had a Bald Eagle for our game....

It's my understanding that the people at the Raptor Center prefer to fly Spirit, the Bald eagle, early in the season because Bald Eagles are better suited to warm weather. The training of these birds starts way before the start of the football season when it is sure nuff hot.

Personally I also prefer the Golden Eagle, but I am proud that we have the Raptor Center at Auburn and that the eagles do fly.

War Eagle VII is out mascot. He is a Golden Eagle named Nova and took over for Tiger, War Eagle VI, last year. The Bald Eagle, Spirit, is sometimes the designated flier.

all the same-- that sent chills down my spine. If we could just get a Bull that could fly--- or maybe perform a simple gallop (some Rutgers rodeo clowns could manage it perhaps.

nah-- seems like a stretch--- but that was very cool to see in person

I'm not 100% sure the info I posted is correct---

here's the thread-- draw your own conclusions....

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?s=20848f411334d376cd8cd58f571b9bda&showtopic=40392

Speaking of, there are 4 or 5 pictures of the whole War Eagle eagle thing in MikeG's gallery.

and I took a bnch more of that bird but it is really tough to take a picture of a bird.

much harder than you might think.

and just forget about getting one to smile

• Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

They are having issues trying to figure out their mascot... glad I'm not the only one...

Logo_Auburn_War_Bird.jpg

Sure looks like a bald eagle to me...

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?s=20848f411334d376cd8cd58f571b9bda&showtopic=40392

this is from their main web page

ddhomepagenews3.jpg

but clearly the eagle used for our game was Bald, not Golden

IMG_9787.JPG

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Whether they used the bald eagle or the golden eagle it was still awesome to watch.  It wouldn't have mattered to me if they used a

tweety bird.  LOL

• Content Count:  1,386

Spirit, the bald eagle that AU likes to use for the early, hot part of the season is from Hillsborough County Florida. Spirit was our secret weapon! ;)

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/09/Sports/War_Eagle_started_fly.shtml

Kizarvexis

• Content Count:  936

I loved the eagle flight. Give me chills.. Some fantastic traditions at their school for sure.

I couldn't find anyone on campus to give me the reason for the War Eagle, though. Everyone told me they didn't know the meaning - just that it was tradition and they went with it.

Kind of funny.. you'd think they'd want to know the meaning if they're screaming it all over the place.

Archived