• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Radio Broacast ... Whats with the 15-20 Second Delay??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

Tried to listen to the game while in the stadium (to get stats and in depth info, scores since the stadium doesn't give us any), There was a 15-20 second delay built into the broadcast.  On some plays the next snap was coming before the radio announced the previous snap.

Can't list when it is delayed like this.

Eric, anyone can someone talk to 970 and get this fixed?

This doesn't happen at other games Bus, etc.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

yeah i noticed this too.  I tried to have the radio on with the game but i had to shut the radio down because of the delay. 

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

First reason is just the natural delay of the signal going from the stadium booth, to the tower, across the airwaves, to your radio and into your ear.

The second reason for the delay being the infamous wardrobe malfunction. It's a built in safety so they can cover their rears.

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

they want to prevent any accidental nudity over the radio

• Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

I'm an engineer so I understand natural delay (That adds up to less than 1 second)  ::) ::)

The "wardrobe malfunction" story is an excuse, Bucs, Gators, Seminole games have no delay.  :o :o

Here is a nice reply from 970  8) 8)

Hi Randy:

Yes, you heard an approximate 15 second delay in our last broadcast.  Part of the delay is built-in to catch obscenities (the government has been operating at zero tolerance lately) and the rest of the delay is caused by our new High-Definition transmitter.  However, there are workarounds and we hope to have this problem remedied by this Saturday night’s game.  I too prefer listening to the radio as I watch the game so I’m with you all the way on this.  Our engineering staff is confident that we’ll have the workaround completed by Saturday so enjoy the game!!! 

Gabe Hobbs

Senior Vice-President of Programming, News/Talk/Sports

Clear Channel Radio

813-832-1432

Since this Saturday's game is away, I guess they actually have till the NC game to correct.

But at least they answered, acknowldeged the problem, & are trying to fix it.

Kudos for 970  :) :)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,513
  • Days Won:  422

I'm an engineer so I understand natural delay (That adds up to less than 1 second)   ::) ::)

The "wardrobe malfunction" story is an excuse, Bucs, Gators, Seminole games have no delay.   :o :o

Here is a nice reply from 970  8) 8)

Hi Randy:

Yes, you heard an approximate 15 second delay in our last broadcast.  Part of the delay is built-in to catch obscenities (the government has been operating at zero tolerance lately) and the rest of the delay is caused by our new High-Definition transmitter.  However, there are workarounds and we hope to have this problem remedied by this Saturday night’s game.  I too prefer listening to the radio as I watch the game so I’m with you all the way on this.  Our engineering staff is confident that we’ll have the workaround completed by Saturday so enjoy the game!!! 

Gabe Hobbs

Senior Vice-President of Programming, News/Talk/Sports

Clear Channel Radio

813-832-1432

Since this Saturday's game is away, I guess they actually have till the NC game to correct.

But at least they answered, acknowldeged the problem, & are trying to fix it.

Kudos for 970  :) :)

Wow, Gabe Hobbs has been at 970 forever ..... Thought the radio business was more volatile than that.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I tried listening to the radio guys so I could turn down the TV.  I like the radio guys better than the TV announcers they had.  But I couldn't do it due to the delay.

Archived