• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Carlton Hill back at QB

KB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

If this is a serious injury when do we start to question his durability. I recall a few games where he went out with some kind of injury. I am in no way question his heart because we all know the kid will run through a wall if you ask him but at the QB position you can not be ………….. dare I say fragile

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,260

When they moved C4 to WR and DB, I didn't think it was as much that he had no shot at being a soild QB, but that they were trying to find a way to get him on the field. Obviously, the kid is one of our biggest recruits in school history so the talent is there. Last year, winning the Juco Championship shows that he might have settled down as a QB as well. If Grothe was going to get hurt, we're lucky it's before the season: Carlton can get some snaps in practice and during Elon.

Forget the fumbling, as others have pointed out...they were mistakes of a young player trying to make a play. No disrespect to Gregory or Severino, but if we head into Auburn with a banged up Matt Grothe, that isn't the game for learning on the run. Obviously, we would have our backs to the wall in that scenario with slim chances, but I personally think CHill gives us a better shot than the other options should it come to that.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I see this as giving us other options.  Remember the Fisher moves!!!!!  If CH is on the field with Matt or Gregory it can't be bad.  He has matured and did some good things as a JUCO.  I don't think this will be a bad move at all.  But, that is just my opinion.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

If this is a serious injury when do we start to question his durability. I recall a few games where he went out with some kind of injury. I am in no way question his heart because we all know the kid will run through a wall if you ask him but at the QB position you can not be ………….. dare I say fragile

I wouldn't call him fragile at all.  He had a pretty bad foot last year and really didn't miss any significant time because of it.  He didn't miss any starts and kept on playing through it.  His face got smacked up pretty bad late in the UC game.  He came out because he needed stitches.  He started the very next game.   He plays QB sometimes like he thinks  he is a LB.  He's not big enough to play that way without getting hurt.  That's why it's important to get the RBs going.

The coaches are being cautious with him BECAUSE it is pre season.  There is an update to Greg's blog with some statements by Gregory saying that if the games were starting tomorrow he'd be playing.  

I don't see him as fragile.  A little reckless maybe, but not fragile.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

he's not that good.

You're right.

He's a liability under center.

Just out of curiosity.  Why do you guys say that?

Guest JulmisteForPrez

he's not that good.

You're right.

Because he looked like crap when he got game action at QB @ USF.

Then, I watched him in the JUCO championship game on TV last fall, and he looked like he did before.  Didn't look like he had "polished" his QB skills whatsoever.

Great athlete, not a QB.

• Content Count:  919

Not sure why C4 was moved back to QB, but Grothe is going to be alright.  Check Greg's blog again.  

C4 should see zero time against Elon or anyone else.  He is not ready to play QB and won't be ready anytime soon.  Gregory is the #2 and he should see all the time agaist Elon if the game goes as expected.  C4 may be an incredible athlete, but his leadership skills are in question, and IMO he is not needed at QB.  Let him stay at WR.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

he's not that good.

You're right.

Because he looked like crap when he got game action at QB @ USF.

Then, I watched him in the JUCO championship game on TV last fall, and he looked like he did before.  Didn't look like he had "polished" his QB skills whatsoever.

Great athlete, not a QB.

Here's Carlton Hill's stats from last year's JUCO Champ Game where Blinn College beat PRCC 19-6:

Rushing

23 carries - 45 yards (1 fumble lost) Note: PRCC had 4 other fumbles that were not lost to the other team. No mention who fumbled those)

Passing

11 completions, 30 attempts, 1 INT, 135 yds

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

I'm glad to see him back there getting a chance to contribute.  I'm with usfgrad84, you guys pass a lot of judgment based on two series in a single game.  Given time, he might be a good QB, at least in a backup role.  After all in that Meineke Bowl he was relieving your other favorite, Pat Julmiste. 

I say we're fortunate to have him there as Grothe seems injury prone.  We talk about Hill's two non-redshirt freshman fumbles and not Grothe's 14 INTs.  Maybe, given a chance, Hill can help this team.  Why discount it beforehand?

Archived