• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Carlton Hill back at QB

KB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

See Greg's blog

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

I bet Carlton Hill is chomping at the bit for this opportunity. 

I've said all off-season, no matter where we put him, the kid is going to succeed. 

• Content Count:  1,297

Grothe's injury should take 1-2 weeks to heal (Per Greg's blog).  Might be a good opportiunity to try Hill at QB for a portion of the Elon game.  See what he can do and maybe improve our depth at the QB position - Just in case.

• Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

You know what, I think this is brilliant Leavitt strategy.  Ok, without Grothe playing at Elon how is Auburn going to know what we are like.  Plus, the rest of the players will have to raise their level of playing since they can't count on Grothe. 

This might be the catalyst I was looking for to really kick start our season.  Rest Grothe during certain games or quarters and let us get some depth developed at QB.

Imagine Auburn comes out and sees a totally different look and feel in the openning quarter.

I love it.

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Should we use Hill like UF did with Tebow last year?  Bring him in on certain situations to run, etc?  Keep the wear and tear down on Grothe? 

• Content Count:  34

as long as he can hold on to the ball

• Content Count:  1,297

Not a bad idea.  It gives us depth at QB and we all know that a serious injury to Grothe is possible.  That's just from the style of offense and his improvision on certain plays.  He's goes hard on every play.

So having someone to back him up.....maybe give him a break during certain games......not a bad idea.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I'm just laughing at all the guys that simply remember his 2 fumbles against NC State.  Those fumbles were because he was trying to make something happen when he should have just gone down.  Taurus Johnson did the same thing last year against Cincinnati and I think Grothe did the same thing a couple of times when the offense wasn't moving.  Those were Freshman mistakes when he shouldn't even have been in the game considering the amount of exprerience he had.  He didn't do that bad when given the playing time as Freshman.  He just wasn't really ready to play and if you go back and remember what was going on before the bowl game in '05, they were kind of rushing him to get him ready to play in that game.  This guy is always 1 step away from a huge play.  He has a lot more game experience than he had back then.  If you don't know, he led his team to the JUCO championship game last year. 

Just like Gregory, he needs some more experience and he probably still needs a better handle on the playbook and decision making.  Grothe is a better QB for sure.  Gregory may or may not be a better QB, but Carlton Hill definitely adds another dimension to the offense.  Especially with the running backs we have.  Given his athletic ability, having the ball in his hands could be an incredible change of pace when and if needed.

Archived