• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Carlton Hill back at QB

KB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

a disaster waiting to happen

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

I really dont care what position he plays, but could we please just find one for him and let him stay there? Next thing you know, it's going to be 2009 and the kid is going to have never played another down in a game because he spent every offseason switching positions....

If he's the athlete that everyone says he is, he'll adapt. Put him where he is needed the most and keep him there.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I really dont care what position he plays, but could we please just find one for him and let him stay there? Next thing you know, it's going to be 2009 and the kid is going to have never played another down in a game because he spent every offseason switching positions....

If he's the athlete that everyone says he is, he'll adapt. Put him where he is needed the most and keep him there.

Courtney Denson all over again.  He's a good enough athlete that they are trying to find a spot for him.  When he gets there he can't master it a high enough level to beat out someone that is a lesser athlete, but great at that position.

In his first year, the reason he didn't stick at WR was he couldn't figure out how to get off the chucks at the line.  Then he fell behind with the system last year when he screwed up at school going into the summer practices.  When he first got here, he was the best athlete ever recruited.  In the last three years we are have started to get some football players that are equally athletic..  My guess is that if he doesn't work out at QB, he may never find the field considering the younger talent we have coming up at the various positiions.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

...  When he first got here, he was the best athlete ever recruited.  In the last three years we are have started to get some football players that are equally athletic..  My guess is that if he doesn't work out at QB, he may never find the field considering the younger talent we have coming up at the various positiions.

I said this a few days ago.

I don't see Hill playing at QB, Gregory will and NEEDS the reps.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  75

Hill is a turd!  Anyone who doesn't think so needs a football reality check.  He lacks the technique necessary to be a Div I QB and he's not so "athletic" on the Div I scene.  Let's not kid ourselves. If he was as great a treasure as many have posted, he either wouldn't be looking for a role or probably wouldn't even be on our squad.

I think what this really points out is that our program still needs to evolve.  Long term success has to be driven on our offensive system not players.  If Gregory is worth his weight as an OC, he will find a way to be successful with whoever he has playing QB.

All that said, Grothe will be fine for the season. 

• Content Count:  7,890

If this is a serious injury when do we start to question his durability. I recall a few games where he went out with some kind of injury. I am in no way question his heart because we all know the kid will run through a wall if you ask him but at the QB position you can not be ………….. dare I say fragile

I wouldn't call him fragile at all.  He had a pretty bad foot last year and really didn't miss any significant time because of it.  He didn't miss any starts and kept on playing through it.  His face got smacked up pretty bad late in the UC game.  He came out because he needed stitches.  He started the very next game.   He plays QB sometimes like he thinks  he is a LB.  He's not big enough to play that way without getting hurt.  That's why it's important to get the RBs going.

The coaches are being cautious with him BECAUSE it is pre season.  There is an update to Greg's blog with some statements by Gregory saying that if the games were starting tomorrow he'd be playing.  

I don't see him as fragile.  A little reckless maybe, but not fragile.

yeah I see your point but if this is (and by all accounts so far it isnt) a serious injury that would be two it the same amount of years and then their is room for some concern.

Note I'm a ex linebacker so I have a natural dislike for all QB's ;)

• Content Count:  1,457

I'm just laughing at all the guys that simply remember his 2 fumbles against NC State.  Those fumbles were because he was trying to make something happen when he should have just gone down.  Taurus Johnson did the same thing last year against Cincinnati and I think Grothe did the same thing a couple of times when the offense wasn't moving.  Those were Freshman mistakes when he shouldn't even have been in the game considering the amount of exprerience he had.  He didn't do that bad when given the playing time as Freshman.  He just wasn't really ready to play and if you go back and remember what was going on before the bowl game in '05, they were kind of rushing him to get him ready to play in that game.   This guy is always 1 step away from a huge play.  He has a lot more game experience than he had back then.  If you don't know, he led his team to the JUCO championship game last year. 

Just like Gregory, he needs some more experience and he probably still needs a better handle on the playbook and decision making.  Grothe is a better QB for sure.  Gregory may or may not be a better QB, but Carlton Hill definitely adds another dimension to the offense.  Especially with the running backs we have.  Given his athletic ability, having the ball in his hands could be an incredible change of pace when and if needed.

He need more than just a little experience....he needs a whole lotta experience.  Lets just stick with Grothe - get well and play the heck out of the game when out there.  Make every play as good as you can!

Archived