• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BE needs another OOC and Bowl season like 2006

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Friday on the way homefrom work I'm listening to the Austin, TX sports radio (actually worse than TAmpa).  They are talking about the Cowboys QB and small college FB players being drafted.  They started doggn' Brian Brohm saying he comes from a second rate conference.  The exact quote was "The BE is like HS 3A football and TX/Big 12 is 6A HS football.  I was so pissed I nearly wrecked the car.  Completely bogus commentary.  Freakin' unprofessional idiots!

It is imperative the BE is successful in its OOC games and bowl games again.  I would definitely have called the TX radio hicks and asked them about OOC records & BCS & regular bowl records.  They didn't give any phone number.  Our Bulls must have a good showing @Auburn to disprove the negativity about this conference.  I know the nat. media knows this conference is on the up swing but  this trend must continue.  The rad. hix did give WVU some respect but basically they only mention WVU, UL, & Rutgers.

• Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

There is a reason these two yahoos are on in Austin,Texas and not a larger market.  They obviously don't know much outside of the Big 12.

• Content Count:  1,479

I probably wont do this either, but we should just relax and wait for the year, and kick Auburns ass, then UNC and then West Virginia and see what they say then.

But you are right, it seems like we have the biggest OOC game of the Big East this year and we could improve the conference imagine even more than the 5-0 bowl record did last year.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

If you are in Austin, then you know it's Longhorns first, Big 12 second, and everyone else last.  You have to expect that here.  They really don't know what they are talking about outside of the B12 for the most part.

BTW, Austin TX is a huge market, and tremendously fast growing.  1.6 million people in metro and one of the largest cities in the country, and I believe THE largest city in the US without a pro team.  The longhorns are their pro team.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

They're just playing to their audience.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

from their perspective, USF losing to Kansas was a big factor (perhaps-- that could be a reach that they even remember or know about that).

Anyway-- bear this in mind. Regardless of what happens this year or the next 4--- no one will relent and give the Big East respect because that is the party line.

AND if/when USF beats a team within the Big East this season--- say WVU-- they will use it to showthat the Big East is weak since "lowly USF" can beat what is supposed to be the conferences juggernaut.

Don't let it bug you. It justs validatesthe speaker and makes them feel they have won somehow. THey are wrong-- history and time will prove this oput.

• Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

What really sucks about that crap is that there is very little chance a BE team goes undefeated. I think the top four teams in the BE can pretty much play with any one in the country. We, the BE, have done just that in the last couple of years. BUT, because of the parity/strength of our better teams, I think we could have two or three way ties at the end of the season. The nation will only notice when we beat the SEC's, BIG 10's, BIG 12's and all the rest of our OOC games.

Secondly, because of our bowl game structure, there's not enough clout by winning the bottom of the barrell bowl games. It helps in recruiting, but not on the national scale.

I don't listen to talk radio or read some posts of people that I percieve to have no clue of what ther're talking about.

GO BULLS!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

What really sucks about that crap is that there is very little chance a BE team goes undefeated. I think the top four teams in the BE can pretty much play with any one in the country. We, the BE, have done just that in the last couple of years. BUT, because of the parity/strength of our better teams, I think we could have two or three way ties at the end of the season. The nation will only notice when we beat the SEC's, BIG 10's, BIG 12's and all the rest of our OOC games.

Secondly, because of our bowl game structure, there's not enough clout by winning the bottom of the barrell bowl games. It helps in recruiting, but not on the national scale.

I don't listen to talk radio or read some posts of people that I percieve to have no clue of what ther're talking about.

GO BULLS!

I think you just described what it is like in all the other BCS conferences on any given year. The real significant problem with our conference's perception is that we have a mere 8 teams compared to everyone else who has 11 or 12. That is 3 or 4 additional teams that can emerge as powerhouses. That the Big East has 3 or 4 consistently is great-- but some of the others have twice that many quality teams-- and therefore garner the "tougher" conference reputation. It's out of our hands

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Isn't our conference winner is 2-0 in BCS bowl games since the defections.

• Content Count:  4,451

Isn't our conference winner is 2-0 in BCS bowl games since the defections.

That's correct.  My real disappointment is that these guys are unprofessional.  They should know better to make such a statement.  Plus they gave WVU props but don't recognize that they were beat twice by two BE schools nor do they even bring up the fact of OOCs.  Plus any NFL recruiter would draft B.Brohm in the second or third round in a heart beat.  To say he's crap it just jealousy, ignorance or both.

BullinTX you are correct about Austin being the largest city w/o a major pro sport.  I understand the market but these guys are blind to the B12 North sucking the last 2-3 yrs.  Basically TX & OU has carried that conference and I believe OU is the first to lose a BCS game to a nonBCS team.  Yet even UL beat BSU in the Liberty Bowl a couple of yrs back.

Archived