• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Preseason Bowl Predictions (Rivals)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

Three words that should never be strung together...

"Preseason Bowl Predictions"

:nope

Ridiculous.

Yep, that's what I said in that I didn't even knew they made these types of "predictions."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Joe, when do they renogotiate bowl deals for the next go around.  I hope they have already started that process, and will stand firm and improve the bowls rather than having these shared type deals.  The BE can stand on it's own now (well, with ND, of course).  But no reason to tie our bowls in with the B12, CDOA, and MAC.  I would hope they make a deal like the following:

1) BCS

2) Gator (stop sharing it with B12), or take another New Years Day bowl.  We should be able to negotiate this with improved BE + ND.

3) Meineke

4) Houston (stop sharing it with CDOA, no reason to any more)

5) St Pete Bowl

6) B'ham

7) Back up for the Int'l bowl if a conf can't fill slots.

We'll see, we've already given in to the Gator Bowl's demands and allowed them 2 ways to get away from the Big East. The Notre Dame agreement was fine, without ND the Big East would probably have not gotten the Gator Bowl bid and it might be another NYD bowl for the SEC.

It's going to be hard to get an exclusive deal, especially since the Big 12 had been openly trying to get another New Years Day Bowl for years. Before now all they had was the Cotton Bowl, with the Holiday getting the second pick. After that there is no other NYD bowl that will drop the conferences that travel well (SEC, Big 10) for the Big East, so Tranghese was against the wall with the deal.

The problem isn't the way our teams have played it's the fan bases. New Years Day Bowls are so exclusive they really have no excuse not to sell out or come close. We need all of our fanbases to start to travel in mass to give us a hand.

I am more concerned about getting some better lower games. The Houston Bowl will never drop C-USA, they were instrumental (along with the Big 12) in helping get the bowl back. Further, they have three local teams in the CUSA, plus several others that are much closer than the Big East. They developed a deal to allow an out for either BE or CUSA team and add TCU if they are eligible. They aren't gonna drop all of those teams unless we start coming in droves.

I like the Meinke CC Bowl, it's a solid matchup. Outside that though, it's rough. The International and Birmingham Bowls both are going to struggle to stay alive. The DC and NYC Bowl proposals would be upgrades, but the weather...Finally the St. Pete Bowl would just attract a CUSA/MAC/SunBelt team and be no better than what exists now.

I'd like to see one more exclusive game for the Big East that pays more than minimum, Liberty/Champs Sports/Independence (yes, Independence, its payout is over a million)

Joe - I stand corrected... I emailed a reporter with the Florida Times-Union.  He said the Gator Bowl will take a Big 12 team two times in the next 3 years... need to modify my posts.

• Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

I like that we are predicted not to do well, that means it will encourage our players to get pissed and go farther.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Joe - I stand corrected... I emailed a reporter with the Florida Times-Union.  He said the Gator Bowl will take a Big 12 team two times in the next 3 years... need to modify my posts.

Jim, we were both wrong there. I thought it was only a one time thing for the Big 12.

Really it changes everything as far as the BE and Bowl lineups.

• Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

I like the Meinke CC Bowl, it's a solid matchup. Outside that though, it's rough. The International and Birmingham Bowls both are going to struggle to stay alive. The DC and NYC Bowl proposals would be upgrades, but the weather...Finally the St. Pete Bowl would just attract a CUSA/MAC/SunBelt team and be no better than what exists now.

There is a VERY good chance to get the ACC to drop the Boise Bowl (Humanitarian/MPC Computers) for a St. Pete or NYC game. I think that would be our best chance at getting a higher quality opponent in a bowl game.

• Content Count:  1,457

By in large the USF Bulls will, over the years to come, stay in the Southeast to play post season Football.  The Bowl Selectors know that we like Atlanta, Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, Birmingham, Charlotte, Anywhere in Louisiana/Mississippi, and of course Memphis. 

We will not travel well to Toronto; however to meet Toledo in a Memphis bowl would be nice!

Well, ta, ta....

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Joe, when do they renogotiate bowl deals for the next go around.  I hope they have already started that process, and will stand firm and improve the bowls rather than having these shared type deals.  The BE can stand on it's own now (well, with ND, of course).  But no reason to tie our bowls in with the B12, CDOA, and MAC.  I would hope they make a deal like the following:

1) BCS

2) Gator (stop sharing it with B12), or take another New Years Day bowl.  We should be able to negotiate this with improved BE + ND.

3) Meineke

4) Houston (stop sharing it with CDOA, no reason to any more)

5) St Pete Bowl

6) B'ham

7) Back up for the Int'l bowl if a conf can't fill slots.

We'll see, we've already given in to the Gator Bowl's demands and allowed them 2 ways to get away from the Big East. The Notre Dame agreement was fine, without ND the Big East would probably have not gotten the Gator Bowl bid and it might be another NYD bowl for the SEC.

It's going to be hard to get an exclusive deal, especially since the Big 12 had been openly trying to get another New Years Day Bowl for years. Before now all they had was the Cotton Bowl, with the Holiday getting the second pick. After that there is no other NYD bowl that will drop the conferences that travel well (SEC, Big 10) for the Big East, so Tranghese was against the wall with the deal.

The problem isn't the way our teams have played it's the fan bases. New Years Day Bowls are so exclusive they really have no excuse not to sell out or come close. We need all of our fanbases to start to travel in mass to give us a hand.

I am more concerned about getting some better lower games. The Houston Bowl will never drop C-USA, they were instrumental (along with the Big 12) in helping get the bowl back. Further, they have three local teams in the CUSA, plus several others that are much closer than the Big East. They developed a deal to allow an out for either BE or CUSA team and add TCU if they are eligible. They aren't gonna drop all of those teams unless we start coming in droves.

I'd like to see one more exclusive game for the Big East that pays more than minimum, Liberty/Champs Sports/Independence (yes, Independence, its payout is over a million)

Then we need to get one of these bowls for our 3/4 spot and push the bad bowls further down the list.  Bring in the Liberty bowl and have it share the #3 spot in alternating years with Meineke or something like that.

• Content Count:  2,016

The current bowl agreements were negotiated prior to the 2005 season.  At that time the Gator Bowl didn't think the BE was going to have good teams.  The PJ and International bowls were added last year so that the BE could more teams into bowl games.  When the next round of Bowl negotiations goes on the BE will upgrade their bowls  we just have to live with it for 3 more years.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

^exactly.

Let's stick it out, boys.

Archived