• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Best/Worst rule in sports history

Joe

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,601
  • Days Won:  424

What is "DH"?  Designated Hitter?

Yes.

And why is it a bad rule?

Because baseball purists think it wasn't the way baseball was intended to be played...

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Most people think the DH has been around since the early days of baseball.  I think the  AL started using it in 1970.  Why not have the entire 25 man roster hit then?  Its such a bad rule, only one or two AL teams have a DH that is even good.  It prolongs careers of old slow power type hitters that can't do anything else (see Frank Thomas and Big Papi).  What was even worse is Papi gettting voted to play !B in the All Star game when he only played something like 8 games at first.  Youkilis deserved to go over Ortiz.  Also, the baseball all star game deciding who has home field is ridiculous when you consider that it hasn't been an actual game (more of an exhibition) since the  early to mid 80s.

The one rule in the NBA that drives me crazy is late in games when a team scores, a team can call timeout, and then inbounds the ball past halfcourt.  This is like a football team calling a timeout being down a FG and getting the ball at the Opponents 40 without having to return a kick.  Totally makes no sense and makes a mockery of a league that already doesn't follow basketball rules (traveling, palming, etc).

Thats all I can think of for now. 

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Most people think the DH has been around since the early days of baseball.  I think the  AL started using it in 1970.  Why not have the entire 25 man roster hit then?  Its such a bad rule, only one or two AL teams have a DH that is even good.  It prolongs careers of old slow power type hitters that can't do anything else (see Frank Thomas and Big Papi).  What was even worse is Papi gettting voted to play !B in the All Star game when he only played something like 8 games at first.  Youkilis deserved to go over Ortiz.  Also, the baseball all star game deciding who has home field is ridiculous when you consider that it hasn't been an actual game (more of an exhibition) since the  early to mid 80s.

The one rule in the NBA that drives me crazy is late in games when a team scores, a team can call timeout, and then inbounds the ball past halfcourt.  This is like a football team calling a timeout being down a FG and getting the ball at the Opponents 40 without having to return a kick.  Totally makes no sense and makes a mockery of a league that already doesn't follow basketball rules (traveling, palming, etc).

Thats all I can think of for now. 

All star game is lame. I wish it meant more.

I believe the NBA has that hafl-court thing only with a full time out. A 20 second time out doesn't do you any good.

Archived