• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I'VE HAD IT WITH THE RAYS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I will paraphrase since I can't find his exact comments.... but, it seems prior to the All-Star Game he gave an interview and stated that he would like to play in Houston or Philly because they are "hitter parks" and how he tells new players on the team (who seem to be frustrated they are losing so much) to stick with it and keep playing day in and day out. The interviewer also asked him something along the lines of "I hear the devil rays in the tank are the most exciting thing to watch in ball park" (or something alone those lines) and he agreed with him.

In short, it gave off the impression that he doesn't really want to play for the Rays anymore and he's just frustrated with losing so much.

• Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

i love the rays, but im sick being let down for 10 straight years.

its a shame.  The Rays owners need to step up and spend money to aquire big time talent to add to our nucleus of young players.  I'm still baffled that we got rid of aubrey huff, he is tearing it up in baltimore.  The city of Tampa needs to step up and build a stadium.

If we lose crawford, I may give up being of a fan of both the devil rays and baseball in general.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

I'm still baffled that we got rid of aubrey huff, he is tearing it up in baltimore.

Huff wanted out and didn't hide it very well.... besides, Pena is having a lot better year that Huff.

• Content Count:  1,911

Huff isnt a difference maker.

What is insane is they are in no trade talks.  i think its time to fill in some holes in that swiss cheese bullpen. 

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

its a shame.  The Rays owners need to step up and spend money to aquire big time talent to add to our nucleus of young players.  I'm still baffled that we got rid of aubrey huff, he is tearing it up in baltimore.  The city of Tampa needs to step up and build a stadium.

If we lose crawford, I may give up being of a fan of both the devil rays and baseball in general.

Understand this. As long as George Steinbrenner is alive and active in Hillsborough County it won't happen. By having the Yankees Spring Training games in Tampa, the city/county makes so much money off of it. Steinbrenner in turn helps the city/county in several aspects financially. He was one of the leaders in getting the USOC to consider Tampa/Orlando for the 2012 olympics.

Further he has always opposed the Devil Rays in the market. Yes, he doesn't have a team here full time, but he does have everything else (everything except ticketing and Brian Cashman are run out of Legends and the complex on Himes).

Hillborough and Tampa will always respect the man's wishes becaus e he does so for them personally.

That being said, try and convince the people in Hillsborough to shell out 400M+ for a new baseball stadium, when the team hasn't sniffed a winning season. They would never pass it. Guarenteed.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

What is insane is they are in no trade talks.  i think its time to fill in some holes in that swiss cheese bullpen. 

For the playoff push this year ....?

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the rays have been a bad aaa team since the day they were founded

baseball needs to contract several teams

• Content Count:  958

Understand this. As long as George Steinbrenner is alive and active in Hillsborough County it won't happen. By having the Yankees Spring Training games in Tampa, the city/county makes so much money off of it. Steinbrenner in turn helps the city/county in several aspects financially. He was one of the leaders in getting the USOC to consider Tampa/Orlando for the 2012 olympics.

Further he has always opposed the Devil Rays in the market. Yes, he doesn't have a team here full time, but he does have everything else (everything except ticketing and Brian Cashman are run out of Legends and the complex on Himes).

Hillborough and Tampa will always respect the man's wishes becaus e he does so for them personally.

That being said, try and convince the people in Hillsborough to shell out 400M+ for a new baseball stadium, when the team hasn't sniffed a winning season. They would never pass it. Guarenteed.

I understand your point completely, which is why the city of Tampa needs to step up, and I mean the entire city.  One man cannot stop a stadium from being built if the city of Tampa chooses what would be best for their proffesional baseball team.

Sadly, I think most people could careless if the devil rays moved, and many wouldnt even notice...

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are the worst run franchise in pro sports history, but I still love em... :-[

• Content Count:  1,911

Actually one man can stop a stadium from being built in tampa, his name is George steinbrenner. 

I went to the Rays game Saturday night and couldnt buy a ticket at the box office because they were sold out.  I asked the lady working where the scalpers were and she said "honey, this is the devil rays we dont have scalpers". 

The rays/yankees games sell out not only because there are so many people for ny down here, but a good number of tampa native baseball fans are yankee fans over the devil rays.  Not only does Steinbrenner have all the fans from the largest metropolitan area in the country he also has the fan support of a city down south, buying merchandise and creating profit for his business.  Sounds like a win/win for him to keep a stadium out of tampa.  money talks and he has the powers of influence to keep it from happening.  it is a shame but it is the truth. 

Archived