• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the fans love Boonds

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

i dont think barry is the best this year, but he is the best and most feared player in the last 15 years.  no question.  SeaBull, remember he is 42 years old.  But I still think bases loaded, down by 3 with 2 outs I want barry Bonds to bat for my team even today.

Btw, did you guys see the kid who caught the ball?  Mets fan from Queens, NY.  Flew in that day and scalped a ticket, i would say it was a wise investment.  Represent!!!  ball will go from anywhere from $1-5 million. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,734
  • Days Won:  425

Btw, did you guys see the kid who caught the ball?  Mets fan from Queens, NY.  Flew in that day and scalped a ticket, i would say it was a wise investment.  Represent!!!  ball will go from anywhere from $1-5 million. 

That was kind of funny but where did you get your ball value from?? Everything I saw this morning said between $350k-$500K ...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spfan0808,0,7057210.story

SAN FRANCISCO - Once Barry Bonds' 756th home run left the playing field, AT&T Park turned into a shrine for the new home run king, with nary a boo to be heard.

But the fan who caught the most valuable souvenir from this momentous event, hails from . . . Queens?

Yes, Queens.

Related Links

Matt Murphy Photo

Bonds hits No. 756 Photos

Bonds hits No. 756 for HR record

Matt Murphy, a 22-year-old from Queens, wore a Mets' Jose Reyes jersey as he prevailed in the battle for Bonds' home run ball.

According to the Giants, Murphy flew into town yesterday, purchased a ticket at the ballpark -- the club didn't know whether Murphy found a ticket from a scalper or acquired a standing-room-only ticket from the team -- and attended the game with a friend. He stopped here in San Francisco on his way to Australia.

The Giants said that Murphy didn't want to speak with the media.

Estimates of the ball's value varied from $400,000 to $5 million.

Several fans said later that they'd touched the ball, but it was Murphy who covered it with his body and resisted those who tried to take it away.

One woman, the San Francisco Chronicle reported, came away with a keepsake that she acknowledged won't be as valuable as the ball itself.

The woman, season ticket holder Amanda Nunez, admitted she tried to steal Murphy's ball. "I was holding on to his arm, I was trying to get the ball,'' she said.

Nunez ended up, she believes, with Murphy's shoe. And she thinks it might be a collector's item, although "kind of gross."

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,734
  • Days Won:  425

Estimates of the ball's value varied from $400,000 to $5 million.

I think what it sells for is going to be a helluvalot more interesting to watch than the home run chase itself ...

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

San franciso?  Im from new York and live in Tampa now, i cant wait for him to break the record, I'll be watching espn every night to watch his at bats.  I know LOTS of people who think just like me on the bubject and will be tuned in.  thats why they turn off whatever is on espn and put on his at bat. People love to hate Barry Bonds, no matter what their motive is, he sells out every stadium he goes to.  you cant deny that. 

DiMaggios 56 game hitting streak will be beat sometime within the next 2 years, watch (ichiro or reyes).  the most incredible record which will NEVER be beat is Cal Ripkins consecutive game streak.  Miggy Tejada was kind of (understatement) sniffing it until he broke his wrist a few weeks ago.  I believe AROD will beat Bonds record if he stays healthy. 

all of the country was watching

I was in LA during the games there and the most talked about sports item in the paper and on TV was the X-Games; even before the dude fell 40 feet.

Was in Vegas when Bonds went to SD and there it was a passing interest no big deal at all.

You and Herman should get a life if you are glued to the TV watching this.

last 10 games were sold out

fans in la and sd flocked to see the  future king

espn showed every game

bonds was the main event-like it or not

• Content Count:  1,812

Im some way you are right, he is the perfect man to represent this particular time in american history.  It is sad.

I dont worship the guy or like the fact that he cheated.  i just dont careas much.  I look at it like a lot of us, maybe not me and maybe not you, but if we were professional athletes and someone was cheating to perform better than us, we might look to take that route as well.  Remember professional athletes are different than us, they are arrogant and have big heads.  Their whole lives they have been catered too and probably the best at every sport, whether gym class, high school , college etc.

Now if you are the best and other guys  are playing better because they are cheating I am sure you can somehow see where that elite athlete might say screw it, Im going to do it to, again maybe not you or I but I know lots of people who would...LOTS.  (ex.  mcguire and Sosa are not even in the same class of a hitter than Bonds, but they were hitting more HRS than him)   I can understand how this can get under Barrys skin and persuade him to take the juice.  We all know steriods doesnt make you a better hitter but it does recover injuuries a lot quicker and make you a crap load stronger.   Don;t work out for a moth and go hit baseballs, then go workout for a month straight everyday and hit baseballs, you will feel a difference. 

I dont worship barry bonds, but I understand why he and lots of other guys did roids.

1) competitve edge

2) no one was checking. 

either way you are right, they are all cheaters. 

The guy has character issues, and acts like a jerk most of the time.

Maybe it is because I am a little older, but I like good old fashioned guys like Cal Ripken Jr. and Boggs and Hank. If they took roids they took bad ones. No massive head growth or huge weight gain like Barry

To me it is like Owens and Rice in football. One guys does it with class the other is classless. I prefer a little class and humility.

No matter what you or Smazza say Barry is not well liked; and baseball is a dying sport because of guys like Bonds. Guys who will not pay child support when they go on strike (Bonds) make the sporting public sick after a while.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I used to respect Mark McGwire before he coward in front of Congress and didn't deny steroid use. But, I have some respect for McGwire over Bonds because when he broke the record he at least ran the bases and didn't stand in the box like an ***hole.

Bonds supporters: Do you really believe this record is NOT tainted?

I just became the biggest A-Rod supporter (at least until Jose's new book).

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I dont think its tainted anymore than anything else.  Baseball has always been a game of cheating and trying to get a means by any means.  Stealing sings, spitballs/foreign substances , doctoring the ball, amphetamines and greenies, steroids, and im sure the whole getting an out if a player bats out of place in a line up exists for a reason.  Also if we are going to start putting asterisks on record i say we start with anyone who didnt compete against black and hispanic players and those that were set in days of the higher mound are a good start.  Baseball is the last sport that should be looked at when it comes to purity the sport has been tainted for a while now.  This should be fun when it comes out A-Rod used hgh or a designed steroid. 

I dont think its tainted anymore than anything else.  Baseball has always been a game of cheating and trying to get a means by any means.  Stealing sings, spitballs/foreign substances , doctoring the ball, amphetamines and greenies, steroids, and im sure the whole getting an out if a player bats out of place in a line up exists for a reason.  Also if we are going to start putting asterisks on record i say we start with anyone who didnt compete against black and hispanic players and those that were set in days of the higher mound are a good start.  Baseball is the last sport that should be looked at when it comes to purity the sport has been tainted for a while now.  This should be fun when it comes out A-Rod used hgh or a designed steroid.   

EXACTLY RIGHT!  The game has been full of cheaters since the beginning. 

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Of course the game has cheaters, but not on this level. Pitchers might spit on the ball, guy on second steals a sign, or someone corks a bat... but, those are not for EVERY AT BAT. Bonds has an advantage at every at bat.

I'm not 100% against Bonds because who knows how many pitchers he faced that were on 'roids... but, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I don't like it. Tainted, there is no way around it.

Archived