• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Uh-oh, another OCS thread........

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Just as a sidenote (since the title has the dreaded OCS term included!) ....Could someone refresh my memory as to why we have an elementary school taking up space on our campus?

You mean the OCES?

I think when football was started, Leavitt told the University that he wanted an OCS.  They thought he said OCES.  Just a big mix up. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Just as a sidenote (since the title has the dreaded OCS term included!) ....Could someone refresh my memory as to why we have an elementary school taking up space on our campus?

The neighborhood needed one and I believe the COE has an agreement with them as far as internships and other learning opportunities.

They had to put it on one of the corners - you don't want little kids running around and 500 soccer moms careening through the campus at 3:00pm trying to pick them up, do you?

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

The neighborhood needed one and I believe the COE has an agreement with them as far as internships and other learning opportunities.

They had to put it on one of the corners - you don't want little kids running around and 500 soccer moms careening through the campus at 3:00pm trying to pick them up, do you?

Yeah the College of Education, the County School Board, and MOSI,  all have partnership deals to the school. So there is a good reason to have it here.

• Content Count:  928
  • Days Won:  0

They had to put it on one of the corners - you don't want little kids running around and [glow=red,2,300]500 soccer moms careening through the campus at 3:00pm[/glow] trying to pick them up, do you?

:-*

• Content Count:  4,879

Get the other sports venues in place before doing major OCS push.  We need a baseball/softball complex NOW to support two great coaches who will never leave USF if we get them faclities.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Hey now....some soccer moms are hawt.

• Content Count:  385

We have to be saving some money by not building an OCS, so that money can go to more important althetic needs, i.e. baseball/softball complexs.  It's not a need right now and until we start filling up Ray Jay, it won't be.  I think it helps more than it hurts to play at Ray Jay.  Yeah there are some issues, but it is alot better than playing in some dump.  It's not Ray Jay is some crap stadium that no one wants to go to.  In my lonely opinion it is a win-win situation playing at Ray Jay for us.  An OCS is bound to happen, but not for a while

• Content Count:  195

Hey! We could be playing in a place like Lockhart Stadium or worse..

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Get the other sports venues in place before doing major OCS push.  We need a baseball/softball complex NOW to support two great coaches who will never leave USF if we get them faclities.

Everytime I see someone say this I can only ask...why?

I fully support all USF athletics, but lets be serious here. Baseball and softball are NOT cash cows, they will never be revenue sports and will always drain financially from the athletic department.

USF has ONE large potential revenue sport right now. Football.

Lets put it this way. You build a football stadium in the next 5-10 years it would cost about $100-150M for what we need (45-50k seats; luxeries; chairbacks between the 30s, etc) However you go longer; spending will increase, while throwing the sfotball/baseball complex in at about $10-15 Million.

USF has to recognize that if they want this football program to grow to the extent that it is capable of they cannot be worried so much about growing every other sport to championship level at the same time. Start with football, get it to a point where it can fund itself and then build your other programs around that. Is it any wonder why UF and Ohio State were in both NCAA revenue sport championship games this year? It's because they built their football programs to sustain their athletic departments. It's like that at Texas, USC, and heck even Louisville (a basketball school) noticed the need to build their football program up in order to compete in all sports.

I am not saying don't focus on the other sports, or not give them money. But I fully believe that large commitments to a smaller athletic budget (which is what USF is right now) should be invested where you'll get your biggest return.

Baseball/Softball won't create that; football will.

NOTE: I do understand RJS is perfectly suitable for the time being, etc. However, the longer USF waits to build the inevitable stadium, the more it will cost; while still paying rent at RJS. It's kinda like renting a home when you might be able to buy.

NOTE: I am not saying build it NOW, but if your making a serious commitment towards one in 5-10 years you have to start planning soon.

• Content Count:  4,879

Why?  How about 'because its the right thing to do'.  If you don't reward a Ken Eriksen who bleeds Green & Gold, then you forfit your right to ever question another coach who leaves the Bulls for a better offer.

As an aside, are you positive Prado will never have the baseball program generating a positive cash flow?

Archived