• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Barry Cohen ready to sink his fangs into USF's coffers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Now I hate lawyers,the I'm sueing you for a billion dollar lawyers, just as much as the next guy. Well, probibly 10-15 times more, but there may be a legitament gripe in this case.  There wont be any real answers until the toxicology tests come back. I'd with hold judgement until more facts are in.

My thoughts still go out to Keeley's mother. My Aunt lost her 17yr old daughter. Turst me, it's not a pleasent year following.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Because USF is a public university, it is protected by sovereign immunity.  (See Sections768.28(5) and 1001.72(5), Florida Statutes)

Any judgement awarding more than $100,000 has to be appropriated by the Florida Legislature, even if the funds are coming from the public entity's liability insurance.  Cohen knows this very well.

The University can settle, as Florida State did, and use non-public funds to pay the settlement.  However, a court can not force a university to use these funds to pay a settlement in lieu of a claims bill in the Legislature.

Can't you sue a state official? In which case I believe they can try and make Genshaft the defendant in this suit.

The problem is what you mentioned, you can't use state funds to settle or pay any lawsuit.

Which probably means nothing will happen, or some more answers will make their way out.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2007/06/family_of_late_.html

He does not take cases like these unless he knows he can make headlines or money.  His statements at the end say that this may or may not lead to a civil lawsuit is just posturing for the press.  A snake in the grass always devours its prey; it never passes on an easy meal.

this is so true

i predicted this from day one

i love the new board

I hate that scumbag!!

until you need him

I'm guessing Barry is not a USF alum although after he makes his cut he might be inclined to send a few bucks our way. After all, it is our money.

I can just see him now at the press conference wearing a Bulls cap.

it is business

and finding out if someone is responsible for this young man's death

accountability is wonderful

god bless the lawyers

the lawyers keep everyone honest

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

As I stated above..........We don't know what the results of the autopsy are YET, which is a shame.  Barry Cohen is not the issue to my way of thinking.  The medical examiner's office could have completed and reported the results on Keeley long before this.  Again, I don't blame Mrs. Dorsey for wanting to get the answers, and if threatening to sue gets them, then good for her.

I fully believe that when all is said and done USF will be found to have no liability. 

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Guys, slow up on the lawyer bashing. While not all lawyers are exemplary, I am sure there is more going on here than potential liability on the part of USF. We do not know the whole story (at this point no one does) and the family retaining an attorney in order to help facilitate the "fact finding" process is not uncommon. Maybe Keeley was on a prescription drug that caused side effects or a dietary supplement, we don't know, but I trust that the Barry Cohens of the world will find out for the family.

I have helped numerous clients in the search for answers about their loved one's death. In all but one of those cases, my firm did not make a dime and the family got the answers they were looking for and were happy with the closure it brought. Put yourself in the Dorsey's shoes for a moment and imagine calling the coroner's office day-after-day and being told that the results weren't in yet or getting the run around. It is frustrating. It is good to have a lawyer on your side. Someone willing to do what it takes to force the other side's hand. Lawyers level the playing field. I hope for everyone's sake that they never need a lawyer, but when you do need one having a passionate and ethical attorney on your side can be a tremendous relief. I take great pride in the work I do for my clients and, contrary to popular belief, not everyone gets into the profession for the money.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

agreed a good lawyer comes in handy. I never thought I would need a lawyer, but I do and the guy that I hired has been a blessing.

• Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

i would think that if Cohen found out that a dietary supplement or or some sort of medication led to the death, that he would go after a pharmaceutical company, not USF. This makes sense to me, that's where the money's at.

• Content Count:  195
  • Days Won:  0

If a Barry Cohen didn't defend Dr William La Torre, the doctor most likely would be making license plates in the Florida State Prison System rather than cracking backs in St Petersburg.

Archived