• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Differential Tuition appears dead

Drewski

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

welcome to Mediocrity STATE U system... ::)

What? The Florida state College system has some of the best schools for your dollar in the country...

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

What? The Florida state College system has some of the best schools for your dollar in the country...

Oh my that's the biggest fallacy I've heard in days.  The FL schools provide you the best bargain in the country, but not the best schools.  UF desperately wants to battle it out with the likes of Michigan, UVA, Chapel Hill, and others as one of the top state schools.  They no longer care about grabbing larger enrollments and overcrowding just to pay bills.  They'd like to curtail growth and concentrate on quality not quantity.   This has been spelled out to the lawmakers for quite sometime.  UF is a well respected school but to completely make the jump to top tier they need more money and to make more money with a smaller concentration of students.

Furthermore, FSU, and USF are mediocre and to improve quality to say put themselves in the realms of the NCST's, Pitt, Michigan States of the world they need a similar occurence to occur.

What's wrong with FL, it's real frickin simple the jobs and wages are not going up as exponentially as the median home prices, taxes, and insurance.  They've got the bennies of Texas, and Cali here but not the jobs....why!  That's even easier because we don't have the incubators present to create the quality jobs and infrastructure, i.e. to increase median income we usually have to wait for retiring CEO's to move into the area.  The best incubators are around top notch state institutions like Austin, Berkley, Ann Arbor....check it out.  Until FL Legislators start recognizing this and start allowing a few schools like UF, FSU, and USF concentrate not so much on tuition growth but graduate studies, business development, and R&D, then this will continue to be the case...in summary FL will continue to be the case where kids from all over the country, and world, can come, get an OK state education, and then move out of the state for better paying opportunities, or to the more astute graduate schools.  It's ignorant and short-sided of this state to strive only to be the undergraduate capital of the world for the world's underachieving.

Tough talk but the truth hurts.  I honestly believe that this move would have done amazing things for this state instead we've maintain our same ole medieval system of tiny fifedom state Universities all battling out for mediocre supremecy and state dollars and all of them trying to steal the other's mission statement....STUPID!   In five years Crist and crew will make the cost of living to high in this state because they won't quell the problem now.   This state will face it's first major declines in population in certain pockets in 50 years and that's when the **** will really hit the fan.  Then everyone will wonder why FL is one of the last state's in the nation in the amount of 'start-up companies' that are not related to tourism or service, and the lowest concentrations of national corporate headquarters, R&D opportunities, and corporate HQ relocations....

Thank goodness for Miami or this state would be one giant Myrtle Beach, and to bad for Crist not seeing the big picture and failing miserably at trying to change the complexion of the state, at least this session.

My rant is over.

• Content Count:  3,574

Oh my that's the biggest fallacy I've heard in days.  The FL schools provide you the best bargain in the country, but not the best schools.  UF desperately wants to battle it out with the likes of Michigan, UVA, Chapel Hill, and others as one of the top state schools.  They no longer care about grabbing larger enrollments and overcrowding just to pay bills.  They'd like to curtail growth and concentrate on quality not quantity.   This has been spelled out to the lawmakers for quite sometime.  UF is a well respected school but to completely make the jump to top tier they need more money and to make more money with a smaller concentration of students.

Furthermore, FSU, and USF are mediocre and to improve quality to say put themselves in the realms of the NCST's, Pitt, Michigan States of the world they need a similar occurence to occur.

What's wrong with FL, it's real frickin simple the jobs and wages are not going up as exponentially as the median home prices, taxes, and insurance.  They've got the bennies of Texas, and Cali here but not the jobs....why!  That's even easier because we don't have the incubators present to create the quality jobs and infrastructure, i.e. to increase median income we usually have to wait for retiring CEO's to move into the area.  The best incubators are around top notch state institutions like Austin, Berkley, Ann Arbor....check it out.  Until FL Legislators start recognizing this and start allowing a few schools like UF, FSU, and USF concentrate not so much on tuition growth but graduate studies, business development, and R&D, then this will continue to be the case...in summary FL will continue to be the case where kids from all over the country, and world, can come, get an OK state education, and then move out of the state for better paying opportunities, or to the more astute graduate schools.  It's ignorant and short-sided of this state to strive only to be the undergraduate capital of the world for the world's underachieving.

Tough talk but the truth hurts.  I honestly believe that this move would have done amazing things for this state instead we've maintain our same ole medieval system of tiny fifedom state Universities all battling out for mediocre supremecy and state dollars and all of them trying to steal the other's mission statement....STUPID!   In five years Crist and crew will make the cost of living to high in this state because they won't quell the problem now.   This state will face it's first major declines in population in certain pockets in 50 years and that's when the **** will really hit the fan.  Then everyone will wonder why FL is one of the last state's in the nation in the amount of 'start-up companies' that are not related to tourism or service, and the lowest concentrations of national corporate headquarters, R&D opportunities, and corporate HQ relocations....

Thank goodness for Miami or this state would be one giant Myrtle Beach, and to bad for Crist not seeing the big picture and failing miserably at trying to change the complexion of the state, at least this session.

My rant is over.

You're not alone!  I feel the same way.

• Content Count:  401

wow right on the money. nice job

Archived