• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DRays in Orlando

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'm home visiting the family and we went to the game last night. Good crowd at Disney, and a better game.

Shields is going to be a stud if he can consistently locate his pitches.

The only problem: Disney was not prepared for 8,000+ people and it showed. One entrance into the stadium open, limited food and beverage lines.

I had to wait 20 minutes to get a beer. Hopefully they get it together tonight.

• Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

I was at the game as well.  Absolutely loved the open-air stadium........that is how baseball is meant to be played.  And if it ain't too hot in Orlando, it certainly ain't too hot in Tampa/St Pete.  I can handle a few rain delays in exchange for that feeling.

You are right though, they weren't prepared for the lines.

On a side note, that doosh Bianchi wrote an article about the game that kinda pissed me off as a DRays fan.  Here's the link if you are into the self-torture thing:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-bianchi1607may16,0,3324216.column?coll=orl-sports-col

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,660
  • Days Won:  424

I was at the game as well.  Absolutely loved the open-air stadium........that is how baseball is meant to be played.  And if it ain't too hot in Orlando, it certainly ain't too hot in Tampa/St Pete.  I can handle a few rain delays in exchange for that feeling.

You are right though, they weren't prepared for the lines.

On a side note, that doosh Bianchi wrote an article about the game that kinda pissed me off as a DRays fan.  Here's the link if you are into the self-torture thing:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-bianchi1607may16,0,3324216.column?coll=orl-sports-col

His two funniest lines:

The first was where he compared Orlando to Hoboken, NJ .... bullseye!

The second, "Sternberg is no fool. He knows Orlando's value as a sports town"... Now THAT's funny!

• Content Count:  5,903

I went to the Wednesday game which turned into a very long game, 3.5 hours.

What a great ball park! It was great to sit outside and watch the D-Rays (not to mention a full, albeit small, stadium).

The second, "Sternberg is no fool. He knows Orlando's value as a sports town"... Now THAT's funny!

I love USF, the Lightning, and the Rays...but couldn't stand the city of Tampa. I really hope the Rays move to Orlando.  ;)

Eco_nerd - How were the lines last night? I'm heading back tonight.

• Content Count:  5,903

Eco_nerd - How were the lines last night? I'm heading back tonight.

Couldn't tell you... I did all my eating and drinking prior to the game at the All-Star Cafe. But, as one who grew up next door to disney, the one thing they are good at is improving things that need to be improved.

^^^ That's my feeling. I was completely shocked they allowed that to happen (Disney). I waited over 20 minutes for a beer in the 3rd inning. My friends waited over 45 for food on the concourse.

I was pretty sure they would be on it.

Oh well. It's nice to see the Rays winning

• Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

I was at the game Wednesday night and the concession lines were no better.  I found the same thing at spring training games a couple of years ago and during the last year of the Orlando Rays.  For whatever reason they don't open enough concession lines or set up enough kiosks to handle large crowds.  Very surprising for a Disney operation.  I must say that the "cast members" are always polite and do their best.  Knowing this tendency I was sure to eat dinner and take a water bottle to the game.  The All Star Cafe before games is a great option.  Killer nachos, lots of TV screens.

Wish we could get minor league ball back in Orlando but the fans won't drive out to Disney on a regular basis.  The last year of the O'rays, John Rocker was rehabbing here and they still only drew a few hundred fans for a weekday game.  The minor league teams drew better when they played at Tinker Field.  

"Coming down off soap box"  Thanks for listening.  

Go Bulls!  

A proud Bulls dad.

Moe, I went last night it was not as bad because the rain scared several people off.

I agree though the whole Disney drive killed the Rays. I remember as a kid going to Tinker to see the Sunrays and then Cubs play. While the stadium was small, it wasn't uncommon to see most the seats filled.

Anyway, at Tuesday's game I thought back to the old:

PA: Now batting, #5 Ian Kinsler.

CROWD: WHO?!

PA: Ian Kinsler.

CROWD: OH!

Oh well done sharing memories.

Go Rays

Archived