• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DRays in Orlando

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

I dont get the Ian Kinsler thing?  Was it because it was really not Ian Kinsler at the plate?  Or because people in Orlando dont know much about baseball and one of the great upcoming 2nd basemen?

I watched the game on TV last night.  And just the fact that it was outside made it more enjoyable to watch on TELEVISION alone.  I was watching some commercial the other day about how a guy talks about driving to the stadium as a kid, and could remember seeing the monster of a stadium and then walked in to see the bluest sky and greenest grass he has ever seen.  Thats what Tampa needs.  A retractable roof stadium in TAMPA.  It would double attendance for that reason alone.  

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No Hermie.

It was just what we did to EVERY batter back in the Sunrays/Cubs/Rays days (inclunding Michael Jordan when he came through). Shouldn't have used the Kinsler reference.

• Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

I dont get the Ian Kinsler thing?  Was it because it was really not Ian Kinsler at the plate?  Or because people in Orlando dont know much about baseball and one of the great upcoming 2nd basemen?

I watched the game on TV last night.  And just the fact that it was outside made it more enjoyable to watch on TELEVISION alone.  I was watching some commercial the other day about how a guy talks about driving to the stadium as a kid, and could remember seeing the monster of a stadium and then walked in to see the bluest sky and greenest grass he has ever seen.  Thats what Tampa needs.  A retractable roof stadium in TAMPA.  It would double attendance for that reason alone.  

Agree 100%.  And, although I know that a Major League owner would probably never allow it, at least not on a large scale, the grass berm seating is a great selling point.  Basically merging a day at the park/beach with a baseball game.  One of the best parks to watch a game at is BrightHouse Networks Field in Clearwater.  Grass berm seating and a Tiki Bar in left field.  How do you beat that?

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

One of? Without a doubt as far as ball parks go, BH Networks Field in Clearwater is the best in my book.

For atmosphere, in Ohio many of us go to the Dayton Dragons games. Which has a similar set up. The problem, they've sold out every game they have ever had, so tickets are tough to get (about 7500 seats). It's a similar grass outfield, walk out and go to the bar district set up.

A bunch of us share Reds season tickets too, our seats are aweful, but it's a nice view over the river.

If that could ever happen in Tampa it would be nice. But two problems exist.

1) Money. A retractable roof stadium will cost about 500-600M

2) Steinbrenner. He gives so much to the county that he will fight for the Rays not to get over to Hillsborough.

• Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

2) Steinbrenner. He gives so much to the county that he will fight for the Rays not to get over to Hillsborough.

Reason # 8,768,324 to hate the Yankmees.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,496
  • Days Won:  13

Steinbrenner is a great man.... Donates tons of $$$$$ to the Republican Party. I got to meet him while campaigning for Bush in 04.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,496
  • Days Won:  13

that being said I still hate the yankees.

Guest wildrover

The whole idea of the Rays playing in Tampa doubling the attendance is pretty unfounded in my opinion.  The bucs have always played in Tampa and had attendance woes up until the point they started winning.  I've heard some propose putting a park down by the forum.  Having been to several events at both the forum and the trop I feel safe in saying that getting in and out of the trop is about a million times easier than the forum.  

If the Rays ever become competitive on a nightly basis then the crowds will come regardless of whatever side of the bay they are playing on.  You guys do know that there is no such city called Tampa Bay right?  The city is called Tampa and the whole reason the bucs, lightning and Rays put Tampa Bay in their name is so not to alienate the nearly 1 million people that live in Pinellas county.  Or in the Rays case Hillsborough county.  I do remember some debate about calling them the St. Pete Rays but opted not to for the reason I just described.  

If people think that putting the park in Tampa will bring in fans who don't want to make the drive to St. Pete, then by that same logic you will be alienating the people who live in st pete who attend the games now.  If the people who live in Pinellas county have the same attitude as those who live in Hillsborough they won't come see the games in Tampa simply because they won't want to make the drive.  

Honestly, do you people who want a park in Tampa think its easier for those in Pinellas to make the drive to Tampa than for those in Tampa to make the drive to Pinellas?  

• Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

Moe, I went last night it was not as bad because the rain scared several people off.

I agree though the whole Disney drive killed the Rays. I remember as a kid going to Tinker to see the Sunrays and then Cubs play. While the stadium was small, it wasn't uncommon to see most the seats filled.

Anyway, at Tuesday's game I thought back to the old:

PA: Now batting, #5 Ian Kinsler.

CROWD: WHO?!

PA: Ian Kinsler.

CROWD: OH!

Oh well done sharing memories.

Go Rays

My wife and I still say it in fun.  One of us will do the PA's part and the other the crowd's part.  Old habits die hard and we are easily entertained.  

I think that Tinker Field is a perfect fit for a Florida State League team but there seem to be no visionary movers and shakers in Orlando to make it happen. Oh well.

Thanks to the Tampa Bay folks for sharing your team for a few days.  Saved me the drive from Orlando.  The pragmatist in me likes the domed stadium because of our summer climate.    After driving 2 hours plus from Orlando with the extended family I am assured that the game will be played.  As you know we can't predict the exact locations of the daily thunderstorms 2 hours ahead.  

Win or lose I've enjoyed games at The Trop.  Certainly a retractable roof stadium on the Tampa side of the bay is a pretty sensible drive from here and is better for me personally.  I have no clue what that does for total attendance though.

Play ball!

Archived