• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bought a Hybrid Vehicle Today

USFMikeB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Based on my commute for work alone, I'll use approximately 750 gallons less gasoline a year.  I'd be interested in hearing what other folks are doing to reduce their carbon footprints, ESPECIALLY those that incessantly whine about things like oil consumption and global warming.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

looking at a prius for my next car...

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

looking at a prius for my next car...

Prius gets 55 miles to the gallon, which you can't beat.  However, that is one UGLY car...

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

We're probably getting a Prius for my wife.

• Content Count:  7,379

My wife and I went to buy a Prius. She didnt mind the drive of the car but she could not get past the ugliness of the car.

• Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

Still drive the Ford F150 and just bought my wife an Expedition, it guzzles gas but driving in Pinellas county I am more concerned with safety. I would put my family in an M1 Abrams tank if allowed. I did get rid of a 29 foot boat and switched to a sea kayak but I am building a 3,600 sq ft house in Palm Harbor so I guess my carbon footprint is large.

• Content Count:  8,158

All the cabs in Vancouver going forward have to be hybrid vehicles.  The Prius won't win any style awards, but it's not butt-ugly.  It's the evolution of the small car.  The on-board computer in the car just blew me away, as well.  Very hi-tech.

• Content Count:  1,757

Based on my commute for work alone, I'll use approximately 750 gallons less gasoline a year.  I'd be interested in hearing what other folks are doing to reduce their carbon footprints, ESPECIALLY those that incessantly whine about things like oil consumption and global warming.

What kind of vehicle?  Can you let us know if the car actuall lives up to the promised mileage?  There are several reports out indicating that hybrid vehicles are being "overrated" by up to 1-1/2 times the actual mileage an average driver gets with the vehicle (the hybrid SUV's being the worst).   Also, do you do a majority of in-city commuting or highway?    

I'm just interested, I don't see how you can recoup the losses associated with burning fuel to generate electricity (changing energy from one state to another) just by the potential for recouping some of the braking power.  

To me, I think the best energy reducing measures for the typical household are adding insulation in your attic (to a point,) installing low emmisivity glazing, (aka window shading/tinting) spending the extra money for more energy efficient appliances, using flourescent lighting, and insulating exposed hot water piping.  These are some very good environmentally friendly expendatures that can ususally provide a relatively short term (10 year or less) payback.  Regular maintenance on vehicles and home heating / cooling systems is also very big.      

When deciding to pursue energy reducing measures, my equation is pretty simple:  does it ever generate a payback, and if so when?  No payback means it's not really worth the while or money invested and there is probably a better way to help the environment elsewhere.  

If the hybrids really do get the advertised mileage, then it's a pretty simple equation and your 750 estimated gallons per year would give you a great short-term payback for the extra money spent on the hybrid, versus a conventional vehicle of the same size / performance.  Please keep us updated on how it works out for you.    

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Last time i bought a car, my wife chose a hyundai sonata v6, b/c it said 30 mpg hwy.  She gets 23 mpg, which isn't unexpected... but I have a V8 Mustang and I get over 20 legit, and that includes my commute to work in bumper to bumber traffic.  Every fillup, 11 Gallons, 225 miles travelled.  

You would think a V8 Mustang would get WAY less MPG than a "fuel efficient" sonata.  

I guess having a stick shift pays off in that department.

• Content Count:  4,451

Wife drives a 2006 Mazda 5 (4 cyl'der/160 HP).  I drive a 2001 Camry (4 cyl'der/130 HP).  Both cars get over 20 city and the Camry gets 'bout 30-31 highway.  Next car will most lively be a Honda Civic so I can pass it on to the kiddies in HS.  Son is 5 yrs from driving.  I really wood like a new V6 Camry or a Subaru Legacy though.

Archived