• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bought a Hybrid Vehicle Today

USFMikeB

Guest Bulls

The federal government has a tax credit for hybrids, and that is going to offset alot of that extra cost in one shot, with the rest being covered in less than a year in gas savings.  

How much is the tax credit?  This discussion had me thinking so I did some research. 

2005 Chevy Cavalier                  2005 Toyota Prius

25k miles                                25k miles

NADA value $10900 in Colo        NADA value $21100 in Colo

same options                          Same options

annual fuel cost $1600              annual fuel cost $1000

Two comparible cars in size and options but a difference in price of $10200 + 2x the sales tax on the Toyota.  Estimated fuel cost difference of $600/year.  Based on those numbers, you would have to drive the car for 16-18 years to save the gas dollars spent on the hybrid.  So, how much is the tax credit?  Has anyone bought a new Prius?  From what I can tell, they hold their value great because the stickers on the new ones are not far off from older models.  They are better for the environment and hold their value but the price difference right now is still too high. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

I would drive a prius or a fuel efficient half electric 90 horsepower car, but I have respect for my huevos.

• Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

I'd be curious to see the tax incentives if anyone has them available.

As for my own environmental impact...I've been telecommuting for the past few months and it's great. I think we're going to see more and more folks doing the same... Companies have the incentive of no general office expenses per worker. End result...less cars on the road....

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

The tax credits are listed at this website:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

I get about 13.5 miles to the gallon and commute 35 miles each way.  I love my truck.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,348
  • Days Won:  10

ZBC, I have a 2wd GMC Sierra extended cab with the 5.3L and get 18.5 MPG on the daily commute from Spring Hill to Lakeland (63 miles one way).  It isn't interstate (Hwy 52 to US98).  It has A LOT of power and you can't beat the mpg for a big 8.  I will get another as soon as this one is beat.  I love it.

What are you driving, a Dodge?

After driving used four cylinders all my life, I am NOT giving up a powerful vehicle.  And having a big pickup truck is safe for as many miles as I drive.

BTW, a Prius can go 100 mph.  Ask Al Gore's son... ;D

• Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

ZBC, I have a 2wd GMC Sierra extended cab with the 5.3L and get 18.5 MPG on the daily commute from Spring Hill to Lakeland (63 miles one way).  It isn't interstate (Hwy 52 to US98).  It has A LOT of power and you can't beat the mpg for a big 8.  I will get another as soon as this one is beat.  I love it.

What are you driving, a Dodge?

After driving used four cylinders all my life, I am NOT giving up a powerful vehicle.  And having a big pickup truck is safe for as many miles as I drive.

BTW, a Prius can go 100 mph.  Ask Al Gore's son... ;D

F-150 Lariat Super Cab  5.4 L 2WD  Plan on driving it into the ground.  I'm currently going from Hudson to Tampa via the Suncoast/Vet.  I've gotten as good as 18.5 or so on extended highway trips, but stop and go traffic kills the mpg.

Archived