• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tailgate canopy users...  I need suggestions!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  384
  • Days Won:  0

There are diiferent Grades of the Shade tents. I would spend the extra money and get the commercial grade one.  I have 3 of the tents, 2 of them are the commercial grade version and the other is a cheaper version.  The 2 commercial ones are built solidly but the other one i got on sale at sports authority and you pay for what you get.  Also beware of the sizes, some say 10x10 but are only like 70 some square feet of shade.  alot of the cheaper versions you see at the local sporting good stores or the smaller shade, and are kinda cheaply made.  SAms club sells a really nice tent, its the commercial version, and i think is around 175 bucs.  Hope i havent completely confused ya ;D

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

I have the Easy-Up 10x10. Retail @ Sports Authority is about $180.00.

Be patient. The have half price sales a couple times a year.

For extra shade buy a BULLS banner and attach on the sun side.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  2,277

I just bought on for the Spring Game.  It was $90 on Amazon.  It's called a 12x12 but after doing some research I found that the base is 12X12 (because the legs angle out) and the canopy is 9X9.  It worked great.  It was blowing around in the wind a little but held up.  On the other hand the guy next to me at the tailgate had a tent that was made by the same company.  His tent was a 12x12 with straight legs (so it was really 12x12).  All of a sudden his tent blew over onto his truck and 2 of the bars inside it snapped.  He just wrapped it back up and put it in his truck to take back to sports authority because he just bought it.  He gave me the stakes to add to my tent to help hold mine down.  I agree with wildrover that the wind at the spring game was definently abnormal.  I don't think I've tailgated with stronger wind than that.

So you can look at it 2 ways... either spend the extra money for a commercial heavy duty tent (some I saw online were up over $300) and it'll last a long time or you can spend a lot less and use a cheap one for several years and just buy a new one every once in a while.

TIP:  when putting the stakes in put them in at an angle.  When they're in straight they don't hold in Florida's sandy soil when you have a good gust of wind, as my neighbor at the tailgate found out.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

mmm...beer...

• Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

Also, try this. When you set your canopy up. Take a small piece of pipe, or even a 1x4. Set one end on the nearest stake to the back of your car, the othe to the rear wheels and back-up six inches.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

We need ones with the U on it

I had it all set up, but last year, I needed 11 other people who wanted to buy an iconic U canopy tent and didn't get many responses...   I doubt if any company will make just a handfull of tents.  >:(

• Content Count:  342

I just bought on for the Spring Game.  It was $90 on Amazon.  It's called a 12x12 but after doing some research I found that the base is 12X12 (because the legs angle out) and the canopy is 9X9.  It worked great.  It was blowing around in the wind a little but held up.  On the other hand the guy next to me at the tailgate had a tent that was made by the same company.  His tent was a 12x12 with straight legs (so it was really 12x12).  All of a sudden his tent blew over onto his truck and 2 of the bars inside it snapped.  He just wrapped it back up and put it in his truck to take back to sports authority because he just bought it.  He gave me the stakes to add to my tent to help hold mine down.  I agree with wildrover that the wind at the spring game was definently abnormal.  I don't think I've tailgated with stronger wind than that.

So you can look at it 2 ways... either spend the extra money for a commercial heavy duty tent (some I saw online were up over $300) and it'll last a long time or you can spend a lot less and use a cheap one for several years and just buy a new one every once in a while.

TIP:  when putting the stakes in put them in at an angle.  When they're in straight they don't hold in Florida's sandy soil when you have a good gust of wind, as my neighbor at the tailgate found out.

Yes I did.  But I actually did put them in at a angle.  Oh well.  I took it back to Sports Authority got my money back then went to ****'s at Citrus Park Mall and got a better one for a cheaper price.  Guess it all worked out for the best.

• Content Count:  1,991

We need ones with the U on it

I had it all set up, but last year, I needed 11 other people who wanted to buy an iconic U canopy tent and didn't get many responses...   I doubt if any company will make just a handfull of tents.  >:(

Your one person, I got myself & I can get one other (USFGRIFF) so thats 3 total. Only need 8 more, come on BULLS FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was it a 10x10? and how much were they asking?

PS: I was told you need a permit for a 12x12 and could get some hassle for that, the biggest tent legally allowed is 10x10, can someone please advise?

• Content Count:  2,277

Yes I did.  But I actually did put them in at a angle.  Oh well.  I took it back to Sports Authority got my money back then went to ****'s at Citrus Park Mall and got a better one for a cheaper price.  Guess it all worked out for the best.

What'd you end up getting?  How much was it?  PS: thanks for the spikes  :)

• Content Count:  342

What'd you end up getting?  How much was it?  PS: thanks for the spikes  :)

Well I ended up getting a (green) 10x10 the brand is Quest and 4 chairs for $100.  I tried the tent out already and it was pretty good.

By the way thanks for the help.

Archived