• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Watching the D-Rays on tv and.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

an ad for WDAE 620 the sports animal appears touting themselves as home for the d-rays, bucs, lightning, storm, and ...........the gators!!!!!!!!! Doesnt this piss anyone else off? Cant we organize a phone and email blitz to remind these yahoos that there is a college a lil closer to home?!!!! Once we hit the big time, aka BCS bowl, do ya think then they consider themselves as home to the Bulls.......

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

Im on board with you brother.

I simply don't understand it. Well actually, I do understand it. I just don't like it.

Are there really that many more UF graduates than USF graduates out there to drive the market towards UF? Doubt it.  USF graduated its first class in, what, 1960?  Given that the average college grad is 22 years old, that means that members of the first ever USF graduating class are in or approaching their 70's. My point is that the fact that USF has only been around for the last half century is somewhat a moot point when comparing alum numbers.  Sure, Florida has way more considering they've been around since the 19th century, but it ain't like those guys are buying tickets these days.

The schools are roughly the same size from a student attendance standpoint. I dont have grad numbers in front of me, but Im sure they're comparable. Granted, USF was much smaller in the past, but truthfully I dont think it makes that much of a difference in recent years.

I hear the "USF has only had a football team for 10 years" argument alot.  I see it just the opposite way: USF HAS HAD A FOOTBALL TEAM FOR 10 YEARS! WHERE IS THE ALUM SUPPORT?!  

Sure, there are people who grew up watching UF/FSU/UM before USF had a team. I totally respect that.  But where are our alum now that we DO have a team?  You're telling me that UF has THAT many more alum than us?

It's very simple. UF is "popular". It's the "in" school right now. USF is unproven and easy to take cheap shots at. A UF graduate here at work called USF a "never was" right to my face. A never was?  A social term for "unpopular," I'm told.  I guess we should be concerned that UF might steal our lunch money as well, or give us wedgies.

Alot of people are insecure for one reason or another. It is these people that seek to latch on to images of popularity and power for self identity. My friends ... these kind of people DOMINATE the Tampa area. Are all Florida fans like that? Certainly not. Florida is undoubtedly a great school with rich tradition.  But you can't seriously tell me that there are THAT many more Gators alum in Tampa (to drive a market like that) than USF alum.

Im always proud to go to USF games and see the fans there. Granted, it may be only 35k fans, but I know that they are (for the most part) true fans.  I didnt go to high school in Florida, but Im willing to bet that USF is not considered the "cool choice" currently.  That means that the fans I support the institution on a level beyond mere subconscious desire to be associated with something popular.

Hey and if USF does become popular and we attract the bandwagoneers, bring em on. People desparate for popularity have deep pockets.

Im just glad I discovered USF BEFORE it became popular. I take ALOT of grief at work. I think to the future when one day we have that season we're hoping for (this year?!). Worth the grief? Oh yeah. It's worth it.

So let the gators and their hoards of wanna bes have their day.

Our day is coming very soon.

Oh, and my point with all that as it ties back into the radio station is this:

Businesses (by and large) are loyal to one thing only: Profit.  If UF is what sells, thats what the radio station will advertise.  In my personal opinion, its the modern take on the world's "oldest profession," if you catch my drift.  

To ask for loyality from a business, simply because they're in Tampa, is a futile effort indeed.

Heck, the "official" outfitter for USF sold GATORS shirts after their NC!  The worst part about it is that many people on this board were OK with that!!! (He's just trying to feed his poor, starving children who grew up in poverty, after all).

So one day, when this radio station becomes the "official home of the Bulls," you won't see me jumping through hoops to support them.

• Content Count:  3,103

Oh, and my point with all that as it ties back into the radio station is this:

Businesses (by and large) are loyal to one thing only: Profit.  If UF is what sells, thats what the radio station will advertise.  In my personal opinion, its the modern take on the world's "oldest profession," if you catch my drift.  

To ask for loyality from a business, simply because they're in Tampa, is a futile effort indeed.

Heck, the "official" outfitter for USF sold GATORS shirts after their NC!  The worst part about it is that many people on this board were OK with that!!! (He's just trying to feed his poor, starving children who grew up in poverty, after all).

So one day, when this radio station becomes the "official home of the Bulls," you won't see me jumping through hoops to support them.

from what i heard from somebody who went to check their store out, they have gaytor gear in the front of the window, and its more than just the championship shirts.  

• Content Count:  400

you guys are taking things too personally.  620WDAE broadcasts UF bball and (i think, i dont remember) football.  hence, they are the home of the gators.

you guys are taking things too personally.  620WDAE broadcasts UF bball and (i think, i dont remember) football.  hence, they are the home of the gators.

I dont take it personally, but here's the problem, very simply, straight from their website

4002 West Gandy Blvd.

Tampa, FL 33611

From here: http://www.620wdae.com/pages/contact.html

Bottom line. Like it or not, Tampa is the home of a major Div1A BCS college football team.  You will not see a radio station touting itself as the "home of the Bulls" in Gainesville.

• Content Count:  400

I dont take it personally, but here's the problem, very simply, straight from their website

4002 West Gandy Blvd.

Tampa, FL 33611

Bottom line. Like it or not, Tampa is the home of a major Div1A BCS college football team.  You will not see a radio station touting itself as the "home of the Bulls" in Gainesville.

620 WDAE HAS A FINANCIAL AGREEMENT WITH THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA TO BROADCAST THEIR GAMES.  what part of this do you not understand?  do you think they just arbitrarily choose what games to broadcast?  NO, they have CONTRACTS with money invovled.  if you want them to be the official radio station of the USF bulls, you pay the money to get it done.. otherwise, dont take things so personally.  business is business.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

4002 West Gandy Blvd.

Tampa, FL 33611

620 WDAE HAS A FINANCIAL AGREEMENT WITH THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA TO BROADCAST THEIR GAMES.  what part of this do you not understand?  do you think they just arbitrarily choose what games to broadcast?  NO, they have CONTRACTS with money invovled.  if you want them to be the official radio station of the USF bulls, you pay the money to get it done.. otherwise, dont take things so personally.  business is business.

Word.

I think its so appropriate that you say that, given that just a few posts above, I said:

Now go eat your cookie

Archived