• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

HEATH TO BE ANNOUNCED AT 4pm TOMORROW!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

I'm a Hog fan today....

Maybe for a long time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  585

Timing is everything. Thank you Arkansas! You're now my second favorite university!

And I feel the same about you.  ;) Sister is a usf alum and have followed usf closely since.

• Content Count:  292

You have to wonder why Greg got the news about the conference call and Brett still hasn't posted anything yet??  Makes you wonder why the Trib (i.e. McMurphy) always seems to have it out for USF.

• Content Count:  3,574

You have to wonder why Greg got the news about the conference call and Brett still hasn't posted anything yet??  Makes you wonder why the Trib (i.e. McMurphy) always seems to have it out for USF.

It's a close call.

He could have easily been typing up the report.

There is an article already up there.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Heath New USF Coach

Skip directly to the full story.

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Apr 1, 2007

ATLANTA - Former Arkansas coach Stan Heath accepted an offer today to become coach at the University of South Florida.

Heath and USF athletic director Doug Woolard could not be reached for comment. A news conference to announce Heath's hiring is Tuesday at 4 p.m.

Heath, 42, was 82-71 in five seasons at Arkansas, leading the Razorbacks to the NCAA Tournament the past two years. He started his head coaching career at Kent State in 2001-02, leading the Golden Flashes to a 30-6 record and reaching the NCAA's Elite Eight.

Heath was fired at Arkansas on March 26 after losing in the NCAA Tournament's first round for a second consecutive season. Hours after his firing at Arkansas, Heath initially told The Tampa Tribune of his interest in USF.

''People say that's a tough job, it's hard to win there and how much of a challenge it is,'' Heath told the Tribune last week. ''I'm not scared of a challenge. I can get the job done.''

Heath, known as one of the nation's top recruiters, was well liked by his players.

''Everybody thinks Coach Heath is just a quiet calm guy. That's not true at all,'' Arkansas senior guard Gary Ervin said. ''You know, he's fiery. And it starts with him, you know. He could have [given] up on us losing a couple of games at home and on the road.

''But instead he stayed confident and just told us to go out there and have fun. Just play to win and we did a good job of that. We followed his lead.''

Heath's recruiting classes at Arkansas were continually ranked by recruiting services among the nation's best. His first two classes in 2003 and 2004 ranked No. 7 and No. 13, respectively. His 2006 class ranked No. 2 in the SEC and No. 14 in the nation.

Among his Arkansas recruits were NBA first-round draft choices Al Jefferson (15th pick, 2004) and Ronnie Brewer (14th pick, 2006) along with this year's SEC Freshman of the Year, Patrick Beverley.

Ironically the same day Heath took the USF job, Arkanas hired Dana Altman from Creighton.

Last week Beverley said he would consider joining Heath at his new school, so it's unknown if he will stay at Arkansas to play for Altman.

''I love it here at Arkansas, but it's going to be hard for me to play for somebody else,'' Beverley told the Chicago Tribune last week. ''I want to finish up strong in my classes so there won't be any problems if I have to transfer.

''[Heath] is just a good dude who gave me a lot of leeway and allowed me to play my game. That's the kind of coach I like to play for. The new coach may not let me play my game.''

The 6-foot-2 Beverley led Arkansas with a 13.9-point average. Out of Chicago's Marshall High, Beverley chose Arkansas over Michigan, UCLA and Wake Forest.

''He's a really intense guy,'' Arkansas senior forward Charles Thomas said. ''I think any other coach in his situation, with what's being said, would have folded. He stepped behind his team, his teammates and coaching staff and believed in us.''

Before Kent State, Heath was an assistant for five seasons under Tom Izzo at Michigan State, helping the Spartans to three consecutive Final Fours (1999-2001), including the 2000 national title.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGB4WOD710F.html

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

wowzers!

• Content Count:  3,307

Madison Square Garden, here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, way to set the bar high...

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Where are all you people now who couldn't shut the f**k up about how Woolard was blowing this coaching search?

I'll say it again... IN DOUG I TRUST.

• Content Count:  3,407

Stan is the MAN!   Wow this is huge...  This is a freaking best case scenario....  I just hope this is the truth...  Holy cow the recruits will come....  I said it before hire somebody with a "Chip on their shoulder" and something to prove... STAN IS THE MAN!

• Content Count:  958

FINAL FOUR AND PASSING THE GATORS AS BEST BASKETBALL PROGRAM IN THE STATE.....HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eventually...  :D

Archived