• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt explains what happened with Jenkins & C.W.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  0

Southeast grad to remain on team despite arrest

BY ALAN DELL CORRESPONDENT

TAMPA -- University of South Florida head football coach Jim Leavitt said Mike Jenkins would remain on the team and indicated the cornerback would not miss any game time in the fall, following Jenkins' arrest early Friday morning.

The former Southeast High standout and USF teammate, strong safety Carlton Williams, were arrested near Bobalouie's Pub, close to the campus, after a disturbance took place that police were summoned to quell around 3 a.m Friday.

"It wasn't them fighting, but they needed to be suspended and I am going to deal with it," Leavitt said Saturday, following spring practice. "I am going to run the dog out of them, but I am not going to kick them off the team or anything like that. I will make a decision Monday on when they can come back to the team."

Leavitt said Jenkins and Williams were at a bachelor party for linebacker Stephen Nicholas, the Bulls' top player last season and their highest projected player in this year's NFL draft. Thursday was also Jenkins' 22nd birthday.

"They were all excited and fired up and went out with a bunch of guys to Bobalouie's, which is a place not known to have problems," Leavitt said. "Mike is a great kid and knows he made a mistake and Carlton is also a great kid. Neither has gotten into any trouble in the time they have been here. If they were bad guys, I wouldn't take this approach. They wouldn't even be out here with us."

Leavitt said despite their spotless record, the two should have known better to put themselves in a situation like that and would have to pay the consequences, which he would determine on Monday.

Entering his senior season, Jenkins has made 28 starts for the Bulls, which is the third highest of all the players returning next season. Williams, from Valdosta, Georgia, started eight games last season as a sophomore and had 43 tackles.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

waiting on the huggins critics?

show yourselves!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,069
  • Days Won:  469

waiting on the huggins critics?

show yourselves!

Everyone of these will be deleted.  This has nothing to do with Huggins or how his players beat girlfriends bloody, kicking restaurant employees in the ribs, DUIs, driving without licenses, marijauna possessions, it goes on.

Huggins players arrests record usually always included ASSAULT too.  You need to pay more attention.  Big difference chico.

Give it a rest.  Huggins has nothing to do with this board or this school.  I am sure had Leavitt had such a history when he was considered for football coach he would have been passed on too.  

Enough out of you.

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479

Good news, didnt seem too serious, just something stupid they should have just left when it got crazy/the cops came.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

Being handled appropriately.

"Run the dog outta 'em"  8-) He does that anyways ... can only imagine whow much more they will get - enough that they are too tired to go out for a while.

Didn't know Snake was getting married ... or is he just celebrating being single  8-) I use to have "Bachelor" Parties while I lived in Daytona all the time  ;)

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

good news, and seemingly appropriate punishment will be issued

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,398
  • Days Won:  10

A good and proportionate response.  Should quiet those critics who have labeled CJL as too harsh.  Once again, he made me proud to call him my coach.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  29

A good and proportionate response.  Should quiet those critics who have labeled CJL as too harsh.  Once again, he made me proud to call him my coach.

Who has ever called CJL too harsh?

This was the expected punishment.... nothing.  While it's certainly fitting for a minor, and first time, infraction such as this, it's the typical response.