• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

620 WDAE-Reporting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We couldn't make a serious run at Grant for that?

Grant wasn't interested.  BTW, VCU is a mid-major also.

I have no problem with a mid major coach. Just that he has shown without a doubt that he can win at that level. Plus Grant was a Billy d assistant for sometime and helped recruit a NC team.

I just can't believe he wouldn't be interested for $800k a year if definite plans were put in place to grow this program. Especially since he has coached and recruited in the state for basically his whole life.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I have no problem with a mid major coach. Just that he has shown without a doubt that he can win at that level. Plus Grant was a Billy d assistant for sometime and helped recruit a NC team.

I just can't believe he wouldn't be interested for $800k a year if definite plans were put in place to grow this program. Especially since he has coached and recruited in the state for basically his whole life.

I can. Here's a harsh reality. USF is a very long way from consistently competing in the Big East. Our funding of our basketball program is dead last (for obvious reasons), but it's going to be a very very hard job for whoever takes it.

Why would Grant, who next year or the year after will probably be able to pull any open job in the country come to USF based on money alone? Basketball coaching is a tough job to get a footprint into and if he were to fail at USF he'd have to work his way up again.

It's the reason he declined the job, as did Jeff Neubauer at EKU.

It's going to be a long road and tough job, I hope that the fans have patience with Marshall (if he does take teh job) because it might take a few years.

I like Marshall...

as I noted here:

getting the thread back on track... here is one suggestion for a coach...

biography10mainimage.jpg

Gregg Marshall, Head Coach, Winthrop Eagles

Gregg Marshall's eight years as a college head coach have produced great team success and personal recognition.

He has led the Winthrop Eagles to six NCAA tournament appearances during his eight seasons, including four consecutive trips during his first four years at the helm. ...

Read More...

If/when? Winthrop beats Notre Dame in the tournament - this guy could be a hot commodity.

and voted here (on 3/19):

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/nph-YaBB.pl?num=1174331815;start=all

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

I hope that the fans have patience with Marshall (if he does take teh job) because it might take a few years.

Big East Tourney in 2 yrs or bust

Guest JulmisteForPrez
The coach is one part of the program. I hope that Marshall is given the tools.

Our recruiting budget for basketball is not good, our facilities have planned upgrades [highlight]but need it to actually happen[/highlight], and finally we have to spend more on luxeries for the players.

I trust that this is planned to happen, but the money just doesn't grow on trees and this is a massive expenditure increase.

Exactly.

Plans for upgrades are great and all, but it doesn't mean jack until they are in place.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

Man, I dont know.  I hate to be so negative, but that is a lot of friggin money for a guy who coached in a no name conference for a no name team.  Won one game in the the NCAA tourney to a team who WE all knew was not good (i think everyone in my office pool had that upset, not because it was winthrop but because it was ND)

I do like his winning percentage but like someone said, its apples to oranges when it comes to the big east.  

I do trust Woolard though.  I hope he knows more than all of us and made this offer because he personally knows the man is qualified.  I hope it had nothing to do with New Mexico's interest and all the hype.  i hope they sat down, he saw potential in the man and went with his knowledge and gut feeling and made the good decision that USF pays him to make.  

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

FYI...interesting look back (just 5-6 days ago) on what some USF fans thought of Marshall.

Some were spot on, some not.

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/nph-YaBB.pl?num=1174095821

PS. Might tell "Herman" and his various screen names to try and remember what they post under each name.

Supported him for WEEKS? Now doesn't?

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Herm, people picked that game because Winthrop was the 'hot' team and they were the popular upset special.  Everyone had Winthrop because of this, not because of who ND was.  Most people that picked Winthrop couldn't even pick out which state they were located in.  Everything I read or heard that week was how they were going to be the next George Mason.  Well GMU went to the Final Four, so you couldn't take ND if you thought Winthrop was the the next GMU.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I can. Here's a harsh reality. USF is a very long way from consistently competing in the Big East. Our funding of our basketball program is dead last (for obvious reasons), but it's going to be a very very hard job for whoever takes it.

Why would Grant, who next year or the year after will probably be able to pull any open job in the country come to USF based on money alone? Basketball coaching is a tough job to get a footprint into and if he were to fail at USF he'd have to work his way up again.

It's the reason he declined the job, as did Jeff Neubauer at EKU.

It's going to be a long road and tough job, I hope that the fans have patience with Marshall (if he does take teh job) because it might take a few years.

I know this is a tough job. One of the reasons our last coach got a raw deal and obviously made the wrong decision when taking our job.

I think the next guy will get the time and hopefully the resources to compete.

What I said was I can't believe Grant would pass up the opportunity if we ARE going to make the commitment to build this program financially. He could have been back in his home state, coaching in a top conference, making fat bank. Growing as a coach as his program grows.

Expectations here are no where near what a top school might demand coming next year.

Why did Lon K leave UF? Probably because he didn't believe they were going to fund the program properly. Billy D took it because he had the foresight to see that they would and he was able to grow as a coach as the program itself was growing. Same reason Leavitt stays here instead of taking the Alabama job. He can go 9-4 here and be treated like a king. 9-4 at Alabama gets you fired.

Grant took a gamble. Maybe it pays off for him. I think our fans will be more patient to build a winner. Mac lasted 4 years with a terrible record. Greenie lasted 7 with an average record. Heck if Grant got us into the BE tourney here many would be happy.

Expectations for Capel at OU are 10 times what they would be here and he gets paid the same. More risk same reward if you ask me.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

I don't believe 800K.

Not a chacne its that type of money.

No way. Now how.

I bet its something like 500K - with a whole bunch of incentives and a decent shoe deal and radio/tv deal.

no chance that it is a base salary of 800K..