• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Lappas Interested In Coaching Bulls

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Mar 12, 2007

Related Links:

TAMPA - Steve Lappas, who coached Villanova to the 1995 Big East Tournament title and was an assistant on the Wildcats' 1985 national-title team, said he is interested in the University of South Florida job and in returning to the Big East.

"I would be flattered if I was considered for the job," Lappas said. "USF is a great situation. They're a sleeping giant. It's something I would be interested in."

Lappas, who turns 53 on Sunday, has been a television analyst for CSTV the past two years.

After four seasons as a Villanova assistant, Lappas coached at Manhattan (1988-92), Villanova (1992-2001) and UMass (2001-05).

He was fired after going 50-65 at UMass.

Lappas' greatest success was during his nine seasons at Villanova, where the Wildcats made four NCAA Tournaments and three NITs, including winning the 1994 NIT title. His 1995-96 team was ranked No. 2 in the nation for two weeks, but was upset in the second round of the NCAA Tournament by Louisville.

Also, every senior graduated who played for Lappas at Manhattan, Villanova and UMass, said Lappas, who was 280-237 in his 17-year career.

Lappas said what makes USF an attractive job and an attractive school for recruits is "the area it's in and being the lone presence in the Big East in Florida."

USF athletic director Doug Woolard said he would not comment on candidates during the search process to replace Robert McCullum, who was fired Friday.

I don't know anything about this guy so I can't make a judgement but what are some of your opinions on hiring this guy?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Decent coach although not a household name.  Step up from RMC, but not a huge step.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

This could be interesting.  Since he coached at Manhattan, UMass, and Nova he is familiar with working with a limited budget, non-charter flights, etc.  I'm not sure he would be  a long term solution  but he could very well be the 4-5 year coach that moves the program forward.

Just for general information he tends to use a dribble penetration and three point shooting game in the half court and the press on defense.  Think of Illinois of a couple years ago (03,04, and 05) for the style that he plays.  I think that its well suited for florida athletes.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

Ugh...he said "Sleeping Giant"....the kiss of death.

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

Why did he lose @ UMASS, UMASS had a great program when Cal was there, why couldnt he do the same thing?  I don't know about bringing someone in who did not win somewhere else and was fired.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

No thanks.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,660
  • Days Won:  424

Per Brett's Rule #1, Lappas has no chance...

Now on to the search. In the next few weeks, you’ll hear tons of speculation on who will be the next coach. You’ll hear rumors, denials, non-denials and, my favorite, the non-denial denial. [highlight]Here’s Rule No. 1 in following a coaching search: anyone that “officially†applies has no chance.[/highlight] The only folks who will officially apply are assistants looking for a head coaching job or former coaches trying to get back in the business.

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Don't think so.

I agree with Bulliever on the whole "sleeping giant" thing.

That is a very tired catch phrase.

I'll pass on this guy....couldn't get it done at UMass.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016

I just looked up the numbers, There must have been some internal thing.   The program had been languishing prior to his arrival and had academic and legal problems (sound familiar) His last season he was 16-12 and third in A-10, 2-0 against top 25.  

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Yeah, I hate that term too.  We were never a giant to begin with so we can't be a sleeping giant.  Basically we're a team in a power conference looking for a coach that can take us to the next level.