• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dante Curry

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Good grief man, Howard has scored in double figures in four games this season.  He's a RS freshman that's working on a tender knee.  You haven't a frickin clue what you are talking about.  Give it up, you don't like how things are working then fine.

I actually agree with Ari. Howard's knee injuries have him playing too tenatively, which I think, has caused him to have too many unnecessary turnovers the past few games. Regarding Verdejo, I've been disappointed with his play thus far. We just can't seem to get consistent Big East calibur guard play this year.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

We need to recruit guys like gransberry for 4 years?  Gransberry wasn't ready to be this good after HS.  Heck, Curry/Holmes and even Cann were higher rated in HS.  So you are telling me we should recruit players that aren't highly touted out of HS, over players that are top players in the entire state of florida?  I love that logic.

Gransberry has size and instinct, but he was a football player.  I hope we find more players like Gransberry, especially right out of HS, but that is a long shot.  Even the big programs have trouble finding that.  He is incredibly talented, but the fact that we now have players like Howard/Curry/Jones, etc coming here out of HS or Holmes and Verdejo coming here with most of their eligibility left is very promising, regardless of who is coaching.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Let's try an objective opinion:

Curry, Jones and Holmes are unproven, so let's not create out of this world expectations for these kids.....it's not fair. People did that with Tron and BB. They were talented and productive but people never truly appreciated their abillty b/c of some unreal expectations. They never got better after their sophomore years b/c they never got coached. That wasn't their fault.

Jesus has bought into the team concept. That was his problem at Arizona. I don't blame Mac at all for his lack of development. Pound for pound he probably has the most talent on the team, but it's meaningless if you can't translate it to helping his team win. I would call him a severe dissappointment who could be lost in the shuffle if the young guards show anything.

Curry, Jones, and Holmes are unproven, but they came to us with lots of talent.  Curry was tearing up the practices until his injury, we shall see what happens but no one is putting 'unreal' expectations on them just come in and do what they are capable of doing and they will be fine.  All three were very good outside shooters with the ability to dribble penetrate.  Holmes was ranked higher than Altron coming out of HS, so the expectations are already there whether you like it or not.

Jesus definitely needs to learn to play within this team, and that's his problem right now he's not getting into the flow of this offense and not being assertive enough when the time comes.  CRM has sat him for that very reason.  Put the defense aside because he hasn't been that bad at defense it's the offensive side that we need more from him.  He has scored 20pts for us twice when he first started, but has tappered off considerably as the team slowly molded into the CRM style offense, an offense he needs to get more comfortable playing within.

We all heard all of this before. Aris Williams and Zeus looked great in practice yet for one reason or another it hasn't clicked. The only transfer player that is playing well is KG. That is the caliber of player we need to recruit to play for USF for FOUR years.

BTW....while Holmes, Curry and Jones are talented they have never been considered "can't miss players". I think we need to be watchful and moderate how much of a difference they are going to make next year....regardless of who is the coach.

USF needs to camp out in front of Scott's door over thenext couple of weeks and hope we can still get him to sign with USF. We also need to find somebody to replace Buckley. While buckley is not great....we have nobody on the roster who replace him. That is the biggest worry.

Cyber do you chase me around now to get into it?

Verdejo dropped in 24 in his debute as a Bull, now because he's struggled he sucks?  He's young give him time to develop in this offense.

Zeus has a lot to improve, but don't be so **** demanding for a turnaround just because you want the coach gone.  Zeus is a sophomore, playing in his second program in two years, he's shown some great flashes for USF- 14 points against those supposedly tough Quette guards.  What is the kid suppose to do drop in 25ppg before he's considered a good player?  Heck Buckley's been great this year dropping in almost 17ppg this year and averaging 6rpg and still no respect on this board.  I think the fact Zeus has signed, and even played at Arizona as a freshman proves that he's can play, but systems, confidence, comfort that all plays a part in a player's success.  Of course, if some of you think your smarter then Lute Olsen...

Remember in Mac's system the guard play is different, and this is why Kentrell Gransberry thrives in this offense because it is not a transition offense, it's the Lon Kruger style, half-court inside out game.  Gransberry will thrive because he is the focal point of the offense, it's not that he's the only 'great' recruit we have, it's because outside of the PG, Kentrell gets the most touches on the ball, i.e. the more you touch the ball with a greenlight to shoot the more productive you will be.  Remember Kruger's offense at UF, Declerq, and Demtri Hill, it's all about the center in this game.  And some of you need to realize that players can be great with different facets of the game, Howard isn't a pure outside shooter but his distribution skills, he's actually a pretty good dribble penetrator watch Quette game, and ND again, but he picks his spots and is a little tenative with it now because of the knee.  If you all enjoy hoops then appreciate guys for their skill sets and what they bring to the table.  I seem to recall six years ago Uconn having El-Amen as a PG, kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door, but they won the NC with him (and he wasn't a great dribble penetrator), why- simple because he was a floor general, and got the ball to the right players at the right times- that is a skill in and of itself.  Granted Howard needs more options like El-Amen had, but some help is on the way.

Curry, Holmes, and Jones will be a welcome cyber because they give us more shooting options outside.  I, unlike some of you, am not looking for them to be a savior just provide more shooting strokes outside to give us more scoring options from more spots on the court.  Particularly when others go to the bench.  No one will be a 'savior' in Mac's offense because that's not how the offense works, it's not about a guard dropping in 28pts, you're more apt to see the center, or PF as a leading scorer then a guard, unless that guard goes white hot from the outside.  His offense relies, or is more successful with good perimeter shooters.  Adding Curry, Holmes, and Jones gives us MORE perimeter shooters and cyber the last I checked more shooters is a good thing- at least on your team.  Verdejo isn't a pure perimeter shooter like those three, he's a transition guy, a dribble penetrator, and therefore he's been struggling in this offense pure and simple.  

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

Let's try an objective opinion:

Curry, Jones and Holmes are unproven, so let's not create out of this world expectations for these kids.....it's not fair. People did that with Tron and BB. They were talented and productive but people never truly appreciated their abillty b/c of some unreal expectations. They never got better after their sophomore years b/c they never got coached. That wasn't their fault.

Jesus has bought into the team concept. That was his problem at Arizona. I don't blame Mac at all for his lack of development. Pound for pound he probably has the most talent on the team, but it's meaningless if you can't translate it to helping his team win. I would call him a severe dissappointment who could be lost in the shuffle if the young guards show anything.

Curry, Jones, and Holmes are unproven, but they came to us with lots of talent.  Curry was tearing up the practices until his injury, we shall see what happens but no one is putting 'unreal' expectations on them just come in and do what they are capable of doing and they will be fine.  All three were very good outside shooters with the ability to dribble penetrate.  Holmes was ranked higher than Altron coming out of HS, so the expectations are already there whether you like it or not.

Jesus definitely needs to learn to play within this team, and that's his problem right now he's not getting into the flow of this offense and not being assertive enough when the time comes.  CRM has sat him for that very reason.  Put the defense aside because he hasn't been that bad at defense it's the offensive side that we need more from him.  He has scored 20pts for us twice when he first started, but has tappered off considerably as the team slowly molded into the CRM style offense, an offense he needs to get more comfortable playing within.

We all heard all of this before. Aris Williams and Zeus looked great in practice yet for one reason or another it hasn't clicked. The only transfer player that is playing well is KG. That is the caliber of player we need to recruit to play for USF for FOUR years.

BTW....while Holmes, Curry and Jones are talented they have never been considered "can't miss players". I think we need to be watchful and moderate how much of a difference they are going to make next year....regardless of who is the coach.

USF needs to camp out in front of Scott's door over thenext couple of weeks and hope we can still get him to sign with USF. We also need to find somebody to replace Buckley. While buckley is not great....we have nobody on the roster who replace him. That is the biggest worry.

Cyber do you chase me around now to get into it?

Verdejo dropped in 24 in his debute as a Bull, now because he's struggled he sucks?  He's young give him time to develop in this offense.

Zeus has a lot to improve, but don't be so **** demanding for a turnaround just because you want the coach gone.  Zeus is a sophomore, playing in his second program in two years, he's shown some great flashes for USF- 14 points against those supposedly tough Quette guards.  What is the kid suppose to do drop in 25ppg before he's considered a good player?  Heck Buckley's been great this year dropping in almost 17ppg this year and averaging 6rpg and still no respect on this board.  I think the fact Zeus has signed, and even played at Arizona as a freshman proves that he's can play, but systems, confidence, comfort that all plays a part in a player's success.  Of course, if some of you think your smarter then Lute Olsen...

Remember in Mac's system the guard play is different, and this is why Kentrell Gransberry thrives in this offense because it is not a transition offense, it's the Lon Kruger style, half-court inside out game.  Gransberry will thrive because he is the focal point of the offense, it's not that he's the only 'great' recruit we have, it's because outside of the PG, Kentrell gets the most touches on the ball, i.e. the more you touch the ball with a greenlight to shoot the more productive you will be.  Remember Kruger's offense at UF, Declerq, and Demtri Hill, it's all about the center in this game.  And some of you need to realize that players can be great with different facets of the game, Howard isn't a pure outside shooter but his distribution skills, he's actually a pretty good dribble penetrator watch Quette game, and ND again, but he picks his spots and is a little tenative with it now because of the knee.  If you all enjoy hoops then appreciate guys for their skill sets and what they bring to the table.  I seem to recall six years ago Uconn having El-Amen as a PG, kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door, but they won the NC with him (and he wasn't a great dribble penetrator), why- simple because he was a floor general, and got the ball to the right players at the right times- that is a skill in and of itself.  Granted Howard needs more options like El-Amen had, but some help is on the way.

Curry, Holmes, and Jones will be a welcome cyber because they give us more shooting options outside.  I, unlike some of you, am not looking for them to be a savior just provide more shooting strokes outside to give us more scoring options from more spots on the court.  Particularly when others go to the bench.  No one will be a 'savior' in Mac's offense because that's not how the offense works, it's not about a guard dropping in 28pts, you're more apt to see the center, or PF as a leading scorer then a guard, unless that guard goes white hot from the outside.  His offense relies, or is more successful with good perimeter shooters.  Adding Curry, Holmes, and Jones gives us MORE perimeter shooters and cyber the last I checked more shooters is a good thing- at least on your team.  Verdejo isn't a pure perimeter shooter like those three, he's a transition guy, a dribble penetrator, and therefore he's been struggling in this offense pure and simple.  

You can be annoying as a UCF fan sometimes....

In case you haven't figured it out....all these threads are open for discussion. this isn't your forum.

Bottom line: you are famous for building up players abilities only for them not perform on the field. The best part of that strategy is that when the players produce you like like the genius you think you are, and when they don't pan out....you simply forget.

Remember you were the one who was poor mouthing Matt Grothe and saying how PJ was better. You were also the one who said that we would be better off with high character kids like Jimmy "quitter" Baxter than talented kids like BB and Tron.

Jabs aside....I want all of young guards to succeed. I just want people to not build them up to something they are not and then rip them next year when they can't measure up to unrealistic expectations.

Everyone thought Jesus was going to be the man....yet here are people personally ripping the kid b/c he is struggling. IMO he has been a disappointment but I've ripped him personally....I have questioned his manhood.

Learn to differentiate between constructive criticism vs personal attacks on players.

Sometimes I think we are rooting for different programs b/c our views are so polarized.

We are all Bulls fans....so please show some respect.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

My personal take on Varejo. He's a good player and thats it. There are too many holes in his game right now to expect him to be any more than a solid role player.

I think he has a nice future with the program, but nothing more than role player.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

We need to recruit guys like gransberry for 4 years?  Gransberry wasn't ready to be this good after HS.  Heck, Curry/Holmes and even Cann were higher rated in HS.  So you are telling me we should recruit players that aren't highly touted out of HS, over players that are top players in the entire state of florida?  I love that logic.

Where did I say anything about rankings or eligibility?

Instead I wrote that we need more players that are playing like KG who will be in the program 4 or 5 years. We need more players like KG who are big, athletic and productive. Furthermore, KG seems to have a great head on his shoulders.

Good grief...

>:(

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

If you were not saying that KG was a can't miss player, then I apologize for not understanding the post.

You first said we need more players like KG, and then go and say we aren't recruiting "Can't Miss Players"

If your first and second paragraphs were related to each other at all... then my point is valid.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

Our biggest problem is we do not have a guard who can score the basketball and we do not look fluid on the offensive side of the court.

It looks like we just stand there.

I don't know what to say other then it seems like it has been decades since we have had an explosive guard.

Kohn could shoot, but thats about it.

I think R. Kohn was 10 times better then Howard.  

At least he could expand the defense with his outside range.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Our biggest problem is we do not have a guard who can score the basketball and we do not look fluid on the offensive side of the court.

It looks like we just stand there.

I don't know what to say other then it seems like it has been decades since we have had an explosive guard.

Kohn could shoot, but thats about it.

I think R. Kohn was 10 times better then Howard.  

At least he could expand the defense with his outside range.

I agree about our offense being anemic. We do look like we just stand there waiting for things to happen. I'm not sure if that's due to a lack of talent or just that Mac's system isn't conducive to our players. If it's the latter, then Mac has done a piss poor job of recruiting players that fit into his system and a piss poor job of not adjusting his offensive scheme to the players he did recruit. Regarding Howard, I'm not quite ready to say Kohn is a better all-around player. I do realize that Howard is coming back from two knee surgeries, and he's not at 100%. Once I've seen him at a 100% playing condition, I'll make a decision on where Howard stands in the pantheon of USF guards. Ultimately, the downfall of the season has been the dreadfull guard play that we've received from ALL the guards on the team.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

Its nice to see that the piss poor guard play is getting noticed..

The boys over at the tribune and sp times have failed to notice it..

If it wasn't for KG and mattis -- i don't think we would have won a game in conference.